George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 171 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lance doesnt fall... There were three teams in the 4-7 range who were in on him. One would have bit. You can easily argue that Fields or Mac with no pics traded is the smarter play, but there is no world where Lance got down to where we could pick him up at our original spot. If we wanted Lance all along and wanted to be sure of it, this was the cost.

We don't know that. That's hyperbole. We said the same about Fields and Mac too and both went around our original 12 pick, outside the top 10. Fields...many expects at least top 4.

There is no we....this isn't consensus. I am telling you what I saw, not that I am an expert but this time I was absolutely correct in every other move that was made and when around the QB's. Lance wasn't dropping out of top 4-7. If you wanted him for sure you had to get to 3. Even if the Falcons passed the Panthers and Broncos were sniffing around and clearly Cincy and the Fins were willing to shop their spots.

Right, I'm just saying if you're going to say trading up that high for an unathletic QB you better be prepared to say the same about a massive redshirt project esp. when Fields/Mac were proof of going outside the top 10 and both were far more accomplished to date.

your love for noodle arm is well documented with 900 pages of never letting a moment pass without running everyone else into the ground...but is has no baring on where people were ever going to actually get drafted.

Don't be a hypocrite.

I wanted Fields. There is no Hypocracy

Just on the logic for one but not the other.

But I digress. That redshirt risk + draft capital is undeniable and was used as example of why this was such a King Kong sized ballsy move. And I love it.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Receipts!!!!! Or something like that.

I had none.

I didn't think any of them were worth #3 and the draft capital to get them. All had big holes or major question marks in their games.

I was definitely cool with any of the 3. It wasn't hard to envision any of them here. Mac as a day 1 starter, Fields as an eventual starter and Jimmy+redshirt Trey for 2021.

Love them all for different reasons.

Same here. It's just that any pushback or if we didn't call Mac Jones Fat Mac or Mcorkle, we were white knighting for him.
Originally posted by 4ML:
Yup. He actually said Shanahan was obsessed with Lance.

It was always Trey Lance. They kept it close to themselves and let do their work but making stuff up.

What's interesting is we are hearing a few other teams felt the same way and loved Lance. At least Atlanta and Denver were high on him if you believe everything you hear.

I would have to concede and say Fields medical dinged him a little and just made it easier for teams to put him behind Lance/Jones given how much QB talent was around this year. Obviously someone will bust or not work out etc, but I actually think this class could produce a lot of viable starters, and I'm not even talking just the first round guys.

I said it all month, To take Lance is massive balls. Kudos to Kyle cause I really thought he may go Jones.
Lance doesnt fall... There were three teams in the 4-7 range who were in on him. One would have bit. You can easily argue that Fields or Mac with no pics traded is the smarter play, but there is no world where Lance got down to where we could pick him up at our original spot. If we wanted Lance all along and wanted to be sure of it, this was the cost.

We don't know that. That's hyperbole. We said the same about Fields and Mac too and both went around our original 12 pick, outside the top 10. Fields...many expects at least top 4.

There is no we....this isn't consensus. I am telling you what I saw, not that I am an expert but this time I was absolutely correct in every other move that was made and when around the QB's. Lance wasn't dropping out of top 4-7. If you wanted him for sure you had to get to 3. Even if the Falcons passed the Panthers and Broncos were sniffing around and clearly Cincy and the Fins were willing to shop their spots.

Right, I'm just saying if you're going to say trading up that high for an unathletic QB you better be prepared to say the same about a massive redshirt project esp. when Fields/Mac were proof of going outside the top 10 and both were far more accomplished to date.

your love for noodle arm is well documented with 900 pages of never letting a moment pass without running everyone else into the ground...but is has no baring on where people were ever going to actually get drafted.

Don't be a hypocrite.

But I digress. That redshirt risk + draft capital is undeniable and was used as example of why this was such a King Kong sized ballsy move. And I love it.

There he is! That's what I said - BALLS bro. I know you loved Jones, but he was so uninspiring at 3 to me. 15 to NE is perfect. I expect him to do well. I feel for Fields since Chicago is a s**t hole, but I will root for him.
For all of you that are concerned about the level of competition that Lance faced, here's a list of FCS quarterbacks that played in the SB.

Phil Sims out of Moorhead State led the Giants to a SB victory and won the MVP
Kurt Warner led the Rams to the SB title and won the MVP
.Joe Flacco led the Ravens to a title and won the MVP

Rich Gannon (Raiders), Jimmy G (49ers), Steve McNair (Titans) and Stan Humphries (Chargers) all played in losing efforts.

That's not a bad record for QBs that played against inferior college competition. Don't forget that this team is already a SB contender and well coached so that makes the road a little easier. If Jimmy was able to come here and win 5 games with no training camp in 2017 then I'm confident that Kyle could have Lance ready by mid season if it becomes necessary.

On the other hand, it's been pointed out that Alabama and Ohio State haven't exactly been filling up the NFL with QBs. So what does that mean. Nothing really except you can find QB talents at all levels. Who you played for or against isn't really relevant.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Apr 30, 2021 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Don't be a hypocrite.

There he is! That's what I said - BALLS bro. I know you loved Jones, but he was so uninspiring at 3 to me. 15 to NE is perfect. I expect him to do well. I feel for Fields since Chicago is a s**t hole, but I will root for him.

I loved Jones? I just thought he'd kick ass here like Trey and Justin and didn't get the hate. LOL

Now he'll kick ass in NE and Trey will kick ass here starting in 2022 most likely. And Fields...well...he'll really like Allen Robinson for a year.

Don't be a hypocrite.

I loved Jones? I just thought he'd kick ass here like Trey and Justin and didn't get the hate. LOL

Now he'll kick ass in NE and Trey will kick ass here starting in 2022 most likely. And Fields...well...he'll really like Allen Robinson for a year.

LOL I feel bad for Fields, but he's got what it takes. As we said, so many of these kids fail because of the situation they were drafted into etc. Now on to drafting 8 o lineman!
LOL I feel bad for Fields, but he's got what it takes. As we said, so many of these kids fail because of the situation they were drafted into etc. Now on to drafting 8 o lineman!

Preach!
Originally posted by mayo49:
Still hoping we trade Jimmy - don't like the fact that if Jimmy starts, Lance will have played one game in two years.

He's gonna get in games like taysom hill in New Orleans so don't worry about him sitting
Man, this is one slow ass thread. LOL

Man, this is one slow ass thread. LOL

It's almost as if there's another Trey Lance thread somewhere on this board most people have migrated to.
Originally posted by HerbalT:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Still hoping we trade Jimmy - don't like the fact that if Jimmy starts, Lance will have played one game in two years.

He's gonna get in games like taysom hill in New Orleans so don't worry about him sitting

he'll have 25 plays that he needs to learn inside out.. it'll be 25 plays that can be run with 5 different formations. ..
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
For all of you that are concerned about the level of competition that Lance faced, here's a list of FCS quarterbacks that played in the SB.

Rich Gannon (Raiders), Jimmy G (49ers), Steve McNair (Titans) and Stan Humphries (Chargers) all played in losing efforts.

That's not a bad record for QBs that played against inferior college competition. Don't forget that this team is already a SB contender and well coached so that makes the road a little easier. If Jimmy was able to come here and win 5 games with no training camp in 2017 then I'm confident that Kyle could have Lance ready by mid season if it becomes necessary.

On the other hand, it's been pointed out that Alabama and Ohio State haven't exactly been filling up the NFL with QBs. So what does that mean. Nothing really except you can find QB talents at all levels. Who you played for or against isn't really relevant.

Good post.
Geesh. That's how much invested in the QB position for 2021?

$35M with one sitting a year?

[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 30, 2021 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Good post.

Definitely.
Share 49ersWebzone