LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 170 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by NCommand:
Geesh. That's how much invested in the QB position for 2021?

$35M with one sitting a year?

Gah even more pressure. This kid has to be at least a top 15 qb to even break even.
Going to cost 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and getting paid almost double of a guy we could've had at 12.
And this is not an anti Lance post

What does that matter? Jimmy can be moved by next offseason if need be.
Originally posted by BamaNiner:

Gah even more pressure. This kid has to be at least a top 15 qb to even break even.
Going to cost 2 1st rounders, a 2nd rounder, and getting paid almost double of a guy we could've had at 12.

This is so disingenuous. You both would be singing a different tune if the pick had been your boy Mac. The fact he slipped all the way down to 15 shows that you overvalued him as a prospect. Only time will tell if the price was worth getting Trey, but it's clear that he was always the guy we traded up for.
Originally posted by Chance:

This is so disingenuous. You both would be singing a different tune if the pick had been your boy Mac. The fact he slipped all the way down to 15 shows that you overvalued him as a prospect. Only time will tell if the price was worth getting Trey, but it's clear that he was always the guy we traded up for.

The slide of Mac and Fields also shows that the other teams that were trying to move up for a Qb were also coveting Lance. They could have easily moved up to 8, or 9 and got ether one of them if that was there guy. That tells me that Lance was highly sought after.

Lol so if we had drafted Mac we wouldn't have the same situation? This was going to be the fate of any QB taken in that spot. Put up or shut up time.
King Kong balls pick. Straight up. Biggest project in the draft and an even bigger risk with the amount we gave up esp. given how far Mac and Fields fell. If SF doesn't take him, how far would Lance fall? Risky taking a project at QB in the top 10 and one that should be redshirted for a year.

All that said, Kyle kept talking about how mature this young man is, his work ethic, his retention on the white board, etc.

There's no denying his traits.

I very much respect the swing-for-the-fences here but I'd be lying if I didn't think there is massive risk and cost here too. One thing very much concerned me was Kyle's comments on accuracy. He felt you can only improve that with what HE can control and that's his footwork. So that's certainly something to watch.

BTW: What hampered Alex was paralysis by analysis. He had to KNOW everything before he could even function. That probably won't be the case with Trey.

Kick some ass in 2022, kid!

Jimmy is taking us to the playoffs this year. Win-win.

Atlanta was ready to take him. Niners knew that - that's why they traded up to 3.

Kyle said what we have been saying about this kid from all the reports and his private coaches - who coached both him and Fields and they came away more impressed with him.

Mac Jones was not really a consideration - as expected. You don't draft a low ceiling guy at 3.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
The fact that Mac was picked last was expected and proved he was never a top 5 pick. Actually not even a top 10 pick
Originally posted by fan49:
The fact that Mac was picked last was expected and proved he was never a top 5 pick. Actually not even a top 10 pick

No different than Fields though right?
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Lance doesnt fall... There were three teams in the 4-7 range who were in on him. One would have bit. You can easily argue that Fields or Mac with no pics traded is the smarter play, but there is no world where Lance got down to where we could pick him up at our original spot. If we wanted Lance all along and wanted to be sure of it, this was the cost.

lol this. Lance was surefire going into top 5. Some media members have already tweeted ATL was very interested and there was going to be a bidding war for him had Niners passed. I think Chicago and Denver were very interested in him as well.

But, Niners got him and rest his history. They kept the Jets away by letting media talk up Mac Jones when they had little interest in him after moving up to 3.

Shanahan was obsessed with Lance since late Jan.

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by fan49:

No different than Fields though right?

Chicago traded up for Fields and gave up a a LOT. From the offer - you can deduce that Bears were likely trying to trade up for him at an earlier spot but those teams didn't want to move down to 20.

There were QB needy teams behind NE and they still didn't trade up for him.
"His football mind is second to none!!!!!"

Let's go baby!

Told the naysayers - private coaches who want to be taken serious don't just make up s**t and fluff up their clients to this extent. It was very obvious that coaches who worked with some of these top QBs came away very very impressed with Lance and felt he was the smartest QB in the draft. There is huge value in that.

Beck worked with Wilson, Fields, and Lance and was worked the least amount with Lance and was in awe of his mind. That's big time when you see all the ridiculous physical traits this guy has.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
For all of you that are concerned about the level of competition that Lance faced, here's a list of FCS quarterbacks that played in the SB.

Phil Sims out of Moorhead State led the Giants to a SB victory and won the MVP
Kurt Warner led the Rams to the SB title and won the MVP
.Joe Flacco led the Ravens to a title and won the MVP

Rich Gannon (Raiders), Jimmy G (49ers), Steve McNair (Titans) and Stan Humphries (Chargers) all played in losing efforts.

That's not a bad record for QBs that played against inferior college competition. Don't forget that this team is already a SB contender and well coached so that makes the road a little easier. If Jimmy was able to come here and win 5 games with no training camp in 2017 then I'm confident that Kyle could have Lance ready by mid season if it becomes necessary.

On the other hand, it's been pointed out that Alabama and Ohio State haven't exactly been filling up the NFL with QBs. So what does that mean. Nothing really except you can find QB talents at all levels. Who you played for or against isn't really relevant.

Good post.

Definitely.
Jeremiah's comp fot Trey is McNair. I can see it a little, both guy's were even taken 3rd in their respective drafts.
Lance doesnt fall... There were three teams in the 4-7 range who were in on him. One would have bit. You can easily argue that Fields or Mac with no pics traded is the smarter play, but there is no world where Lance got down to where we could pick him up at our original spot. If we wanted Lance all along and wanted to be sure of it, this was the cost.

We don't know that. That's hyperbole. We said the same about Fields and Mac too and both went around our original 12 pick, outside the top 10. Fields...many expects at least top 4.

There is no we....this isn't consensus. I am telling you what I saw, not that I am an expert but this time I was absolutely correct in every other move that was made and when around the QB's. Lance wasn't dropping out of top 4-7. If you wanted him for sure you had to get to 3. Even if the Falcons passed the Panthers and Broncos were sniffing around and clearly Cincy and the Fins were willing to shop their spots.

Correct. Lance wasn't lasting that long. It's a given.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
For all of you that are concerned about the level of competition that Lance faced, here's a list of FCS quarterbacks that played in the SB.

Phil Sims out of Moorhead State led the Giants to a SB victory and won the MVP
Kurt Warner led the Rams to the SB title and won the MVP
.Joe Flacco led the Ravens to a title and won the MVP

Rich Gannon (Raiders), Jimmy G (49ers), Steve McNair (Titans) and Stan Humphries (Chargers) all played in losing efforts.

That's not a bad record for QBs that played against inferior college competition. Don't forget that this team is already a SB contender and well coached so that makes the road a little easier. If Jimmy was able to come here and win 5 games with no training camp in 2017 then I'm confident that Kyle could have Lance ready by mid season if it becomes necessary.

On the other hand, it's been pointed out that Alabama and Ohio State haven't exactly been filling up the NFL with QBs. So what does that mean. Nothing really except you can find QB talents at all levels. Who you played for or against isn't really relevant.

Good post.

Definitely.

Excellent post all-around!
Share 49ersWebzone