LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 211 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Geesh. That's how much invested in the QB position for 2021?

$35M with one sitting a year?

What does that matter? Jimmy can be moved by next offseason if need be.

Well, no. Most likely, because of the redshirt, that's $26M we can't roll over to next year because we need Jimmy to play. I'm totally cool with that but clearly, that room just got expensive.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 30, 2021 at 12:43 PM ]

As someone here would say, HYPERBOLE.

1) Picking Fields in the same slot gives him the same paygrade as Lance will get.
2) Picking Fields at #12 gives him....to Chicago that picked him @ #11.

Then we're perhaps stuck with your guy.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 30, 2021 at 12:37 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:

As someone here would say, HYPERBOLE.

1) Picking Fields in the same slot gives him the same paygrade as Lance will get.
2) Picking Fields at #12 gives him....to Chicago that picked him @ #11.

Then we're perhaps stuck with your guy.

No, if Mac was the pick, the idea was he was the most pro ready so they could have traded Jimmy much earlier and that money saved rolls over to next year. Fields, a tad more risky and Lance, definitely needed to keep Jimmy and his salary for a redshirt year.

Now, the story hasn't been written yet but for now, just noting, it's expensive.
Originally posted by 4ML:
King Kong balls pick. Straight up. Biggest project in the draft and an even bigger risk with the amount we gave up esp. given how far Mac and Fields fell. If SF doesn't take him, how far would Lance fall? Risky taking a project at QB in the top 10 and one that should be redshirted for a year.

All that said, Kyle kept talking about how mature this young man is, his work ethic, his retention on the white board, etc.

There's no denying his traits.

I very much respect the swing-for-the-fences here but I'd be lying if I didn't think there is massive risk and cost here too. One thing very much concerned me was Kyle's comments on accuracy. He felt you can only improve that with what HE can control and that's his footwork. So that's certainly something to watch.

BTW: What hampered Alex was paralysis by analysis. He had to KNOW everything before he could even function. That probably won't be the case with Trey.

Kick some ass in 2022, kid!

Jimmy is taking us to the playoffs this year. Win-win.

Atlanta was ready to take him. Niners knew that - that's why they traded up to 3.

Kyle said what we have been saying about this kid from all the reports and his private coaches - who coached both him and Fields and they came away more impressed with him.

Mac Jones was not really a consideration - as expected. You don't draft a low ceiling guy at 3.

You probably didn't see this. Lombardi was a big Lance guy. It sounds like even the coaches thought we were taking Mac Jones. It was close. Damn close.

PS: Barrows backed this up too. It wasn't Lance from start to finish.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 30, 2021 at 12:57 PM ]
Originally posted by boast:

If he was the Ohio's st guy and not Fields, he might've been the concensus #1 going to Jacksonville
Originally posted by Young2Owens:

If he was the Ohio's st guy and not Fields, he might've been the concensus #1 going to Jacksonville

We should call Lance Home Depot
Originally posted by jimmy3233:
100% Niners should do whatever they can to get this guy. Let him sit behind Jimmy for 1-2 years then we got ourselves the future of franchise. It is what is it, dual threat QBs with great arms are the future of the NFL especially with all these rules to protect the QB these days.

Honestly feel he goes top 5 (given trend of dual-threat QBs) and will likely end up with a better NFL career than Lawrence. Lawrence plays in a garbage football conference with the best players in NCAAF, is not mobile for NFL, and will go to some garbage team like Jets where he will end up like Darnold.

Nailed it. FR: Oct 2020.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Apr 30, 2021 at 1:22 PM ]
Originally posted by ProfessorKel:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
For all of you that are concerned about the level of competition that Lance faced, here's a list of FCS quarterbacks that played in the SB.

Phil Sims out of Moorhead State led the Giants to a SB victory and won the MVP
Kurt Warner led the Rams to the SB title and won the MVP
.Joe Flacco led the Ravens to a title and won the MVP

Rich Gannon (Raiders), Jimmy G (49ers), Steve McNair (Titans) and Stan Humphries (Chargers) all played in losing efforts.

That's not a bad record for QBs that played against inferior college competition. Don't forget that this team is already a SB contender and well coached so that makes the road a little easier. If Jimmy was able to come here and win 5 games with no training camp in 2017 then I'm confident that Kyle could have Lance ready by mid season if it becomes necessary.

On the other hand, it's been pointed out that Alabama and Ohio State haven't exactly been filling up the NFL with QBs. So what does that mean. Nothing really except you can find QB talents at all levels. Who you played for or against isn't really relevant.

Good post.

Definitely.

Excellent post all-around!

Facts and well said

King Kong balls pick. Straight up. Biggest project in the draft and an even bigger risk with the amount we gave up esp. given how far Mac and Fields fell. If SF doesn't take him, how far would Lance fall? Risky taking a project at QB in the top 10 and one that should be redshirted for a year.

All that said, Kyle kept talking about how mature this young man is, his work ethic, his retention on the white board, etc.

I very much respect the swing-for-the-fences here but I'd be lying if I didn't think there is massive risk and cost here too. One thing very much concerned me was Kyle's comments on accuracy. He felt you can only improve that with what HE can control and that's his footwork. So that's certainly something to watch.

BTW: What hampered Alex was paralysis by analysis. He had to KNOW everything before he could even function. That probably won't be the case with Trey.

Atlanta was ready to take him. Niners knew that - that's why they traded up to 3.

Kyle said what we have been saying about this kid from all the reports and his private coaches - who coached both him and Fields and they came away more impressed with him.

Mac Jones was not really a consideration - as expected. You don't draft a low ceiling guy at 3.

You probably didn't see this. Lombardi was a big Lance guy. It sounds like even the coaches thought we were taking Mac Jones. It was close. Damn close.

How does that mean it wasn't Lance from start to finish? The coaches and scouts wouldn't be privy to every discussion leading up to the draft.

The only thing to take from that is that many of our coaches must think Shanahan and Lynch are incompetent idiots if they actually believed we were taking Jones.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COTOvstnbYi/?igshid=1qzup1texqc0s

He's here, courtesy of Uncle Jed's private Jet!
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

How does that mean it wasn't Lance from start to finish? The coaches and scouts wouldn't be privy to every discussion leading up to the draft.

The only thing to take from that is that many of our coaches must think Shanahan and Lynch are incompetent idiots if they actually believed we were taking Jones.

The fact that anyone believes a word these fools have said after all this is straight up f**king mind blowing.

"When you get an opportunity to go through something like that, it is really cool to find out about people in your building, how they handle it."

Translation-"We about to start firing some people up in here!"
Share 49ersWebzone