LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 210 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by shotgundraw:
Er Matt Cassell threw 33 passes in college. 33!

Top picks. Lol.
Has it came out that another team wanted Lance? I like the trade up either way. Get your guy. But it does seem like we jumped pretty high then kept a cloud of mystery for little reason.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 1, 2021 at 7:09 PM ]
  • KiwiM
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
One thing very much concerned me was Kyle's comments on accuracy. He felt you can only improve that with what HE can control and that's his footwork. So that's certainly something to watch.

That's not what Kyle said.

He mentioned footwork as the main thing he (Kyle) could do to help Lance's accuracy but then said that Lance would need to work on his own and put the work in during offseasons (Kyle mentioned January to April) to improve accuracy also.
[ Edited by KiwiM on May 1, 2021 at 7:29 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Has it came out that another team wanted Lance? I like the trade up either way. Get your guy. But it does seem like we jumped pretty high then kept a cloud of mystery for little reason.

A lot of people who are plugged in think Atlanta wanted him....obviously we'll never know how things would have played out if the Niners passed on Lance...

But based on Fields and Mac falling out of the top 10, I suspect that Lance was far more coveted than either of them.
[ Edited by Costanza on May 1, 2021 at 7:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Costanza:
A lot of people who are plugged in think Atlanta wanted him....obviously we'll never know how things would have played out if the Niners passed on Lance...

But based on Fields and Mac falling out of the top 10, I suspect that Lance was far more coveted than either of them.

Ryan is only 36. That seemed to be more media speculation. They didn't draft a QB period which kind of shows that they aren't sweating on replacing him yet. But if they loved Lance yeah they could of taken him so if that's what we were hearing it makes sense.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on May 1, 2021 at 8:47 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm OK with this all in caps.

old people at war with caps lock
Originally posted by DC9er:
Called it.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/146810-trotter-49ers-traded-evaluate-lance-justin-fields-safety/

Yeah I suspect they traded up with the intention of drafting Lance but since there wasn't a whole lot on him they had to look further into him as a person, and his IQ, and all the other tangibles. And they had Jones as a backup(safety net) if they didn't like what they saw when looking closer into Lance. But they loved what they saw and the rest was history. As for the media I think it all started with Simms. He is Kyle's best friend and was 100% positive the Niners were going to draft Jones at 3, And the rest of the media followed suit based on that. And this could be why Simms is so sour and seems almost pissed off, Because he is probally getting alot of flack. I could just imagine some conversations that go something like this "Chris you and Kyle are close and you told all of us that he was going to take Jones at 3 and now we all look like fools"
I like this dude but you guys are smoking crack if you think he will do anything meaningful before 2023... he is going from driving a VW beetle to flying an F35 raptor in the blink of an eye... don't care how smart he is, he won't make strides until he can affirm the book learning and practice reps with game experience of the speed and violence in the NFL
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Atlanta and Denver.
  • DC9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Yeah I suspect they traded up with the intention of drafting Lance but since there wasn't a whole lot on him they had to look further into him as a person, and his IQ, and all the other tangibles. And they had Jones as a backup(safety net) if they didn't like what they saw when looking closer into Lance. But they loved what they saw and the rest was history. As for the media I think it all started with Simms. He is Kyle's best friend and was 100% positive the Niners were going to draft Jones at 3, And the rest of the media followed suit based on that. And this could be why Simms is so sour and seems almost pissed off, Because he is probally getting alot of flack. I could just imagine some conversations that go something like this "Chris you and Kyle are close and you told all of us that he was going to take Jones at 3 and now we all look like fools"

I feel bad for Kyle, man. He spent a month getting absolutely crucified for this completely speculative story that he couldn't refute yet. He just brought us a quarter away from #6 and everyone turned him into an egomaniacal tyrant.

I feel bad for Kyle, man. He spent a month getting absolutely crucified for this completely speculative story that he couldn't refute yet. He just brought us a quarter away from #6 and everyone turned him into an egomaniacal tyrant.

You can't blame the fans.

1. He's traded up for a reach before.
2. His first ever proday attended as a hc was for Mac Jones.
3. Right or wrong, it seemed like a very real possibility to take Jones. Hindsight being what it is tells us that was very unlikely but in the moment it seemed feasible.

And if he did draft Mac at 3, the fans turning on him would've been justified
Originally posted by frenchmov:

3. Right or wrong, it seemed like a very real possibility to take Jones. Hindsight being what it is tells us that was very unlikely but in the moment it seemed feasible.

So you got trolled like everyone else.
  • DC9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by frenchmov:

I'm just looking at it from his perspective, it would f-cking suck. As reasonable as the premise was, the reaction was way too extreme and toxic. And truth be told, I can definitely blame fans who believe sports "journalists" like they're Woodward and f-ing Bernstein and turn around and spew hate at someone they adored a few months ago. Those people are morons.
[ Edited by DC9er on May 1, 2021 at 11:04 PM ]
LOL. Which one was NY85 in here?

Originally posted by BuZzB05:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by BuZzB05:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Did we need to trade three firsts for Lance? Couldn't we have gotten him where we were originally at?

Supposedly the Falcons would have taken him at 4. They had eyes for him for a long time which is why we had to get to 3

ATL and Denver loved him reportedly

Carolina too.

I am concerned about if Lance will be next Kap?!

Its not your job to worry about that bro so relax. Especially when the only reason you're saying that is because he physically resembles him.

You can watch this video about the Championships in 2019. Lance was keeping Rushing yards to 30 ATT and 166 Yards, 1 TDs and 1 Fumbling. He had nothing to throw the balls to guys when he had Passing about 6/10, 72 years. Do you prefer him for Rushing years than Passer Yards?!? Are you sure about it?I watched this video which made me frustrated and disappointed because he didn't pass the yard!

I would caution anyone from falling in that trap......

Lance was not drafted because of what he did in college, he was drafted because of who he is.

I was more a Mac guy, in that case we are drafting a guy because of what he did.

In Lance's case, he is drafted because of a very rare combination of skills, that the team thinks will project very well at the NFL level.
Share 49ersWebzone