LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 202 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Guy has a nice strong arm and is also a threat to run. I like him.
Problem is he will go early in the first. Most may disagree with that but I have a feeling he will go before we draft unless we lose out the rest of the year.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Problem is he will go early in the first. Most may disagree with that but I have a feeling he will go before we draft unless we lose out the rest of the year.

If you really like someone that you think can be your FQB, you go up and get him ala the Chiefs for Mahomes, Texans for Watson, Eagles for Wentz etc.. If we can move up in the 1st round for a wide receiver in a draft that we don't have much picks, I see them having no problems doing so for a QB if they think he's the guy.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

If you really like someone that you think can be your FQB, you go up and get him ala the Chiefs for Mahomes, Texans for Watson, Eagles for Wentz etc.. If we can move up in the 1st round for a wide receiver in a draft that we don't have much picks, I see them having no problems doing so for a QB if they think he's the guy.

I don't think we have to move up for this guy. I don't see him going before Lawerence and Fields. That would put him just outside of the top 5 if I had to guess. I think we will be picking top 10. Go up and get Fields
Im not saying we give up on Garappolo or that he cant win us a SB. I think he can take us to the promiseland but I dont ever think he is going to be a top 5 QB. If we have the opportunity to take Trey Lance and let him sit behind Garappolo for a year, that would ideal. This guy looks like Mahommes clone. Big, strong, amazing arm, pinpoint accuracy, and has that killer instinct
It's a little early to start projecting which round QBs are going to be selected. Obviously Lawrence is going 1st but after that there are guys that will likely jump or fall down after the combine. The combine is going to be more important than ever since the season was so screwed up. Even in normal years there are players that were virtual unknowns that impress at the combine and get drafted high. Herbert wasn't supposed to be drafted as high as he was this year but he impressed so much at the combine that he ended up going 6th overall right behind Tua who still hasn't played.
Jets, Giants and Wash could all 3 be looking at QB in the top 10. You just never know.

Jets, Giants and Wash could all 3 be looking at QB in the top 10. You just never know.

The bigger question could be if Shanahan would even draft him.

I know we couldn't quite see what would've happened had Ruggs been on the board when we picked this past draft but I know a lot of us were certain he's the type of guy Kyle wanted. Meanwhile he apparently had goo goo eyes for Aiyuk the whole time.
Originally posted by genus49:

The bigger question could be if Shanahan would even draft him.

I know we couldn't quite see what would've happened had Ruggs been on the board when we picked this past draft but I know a lot of us were certain he's the type of guy Kyle wanted. Meanwhile he apparently had goo goo eyes for Aiyuk the whole time.

I personally don't think he would draft A QB in the first at this point. I'm just stating that Trey will be an early first round pick.
If I was Trevor Lawrence I wouldn't play for the Jets or FKA 'Skins (I can't put their non name). I'd sit out and go in the next draft if they wouldn't trade me.

Another Ohio State QB please 49ers don't pick him if available (Very good to great in College: Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor, Braxton Miller, J.T. Barrett, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins all made it to the NFL and none are starters anymore). Ohio State (as USC) QBs just don't translate well to the NFL for some reason. I think it is too much talent around them in College (Alabama is also like this), and they don't have to be deal with suspect surrounding personnel.

In todays NFL you can have a bad defense and still win. Great defense doesn't last like great offense. Seattle's killer defense didn't last that long. The 49ers may want to load up on offense and have an ok defense (with maybe a few stars). KC keeps trying to get more offense, and figure their offense can put enough pressure on the other teams offense to make mistakes. The Seattle Minnesota game is an example of a scared team. Minnesota had a chip shot chance to go up 8 with about a minute left, and decided to go for a 4th and short to end the game. No team in the league would have been scared of Jimmy G driving the team to a win.

If they can get Lawrence anybody on the team should be available for a trade if necessary to move up. Trey Lance is definitely worth getting. Lawrence doesn't have the bitterness I love in a scorned QB, but Lance does (Minnesota wouldn't offer him a shot at QB). Also, Lance can play in bad weather (not sure how Lawrence plays in bad weather).

Originally posted by 49ers808:
This is what I wrote in the QB thread:

Man I gotta admit, watching Russ and Mahomes shred the league being able to make plays when the plays break down makes me want one of those. Just imagining what YAC monsters we have in Kittle, Deebo and Aiyuk and what they'd be able to do with it. If Fields or Trey Lance was in striking distance, I'd pull the page of KC's book and trade up to get um. Let them sit like Mahomes did behind Alex, and if Jimmy is still playing good, let him play out his contract with someone waiting in the wings. If someone offers up a trade and Lance is ready, ship him out. Both Mullens and Beathard is not under contract after this season. Of course I will change my mind if Jimmy brings home #6 for us this year
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Im not saying we give up on Garappolo or that he cant win us a SB. I think he can take us to the promiseland but I dont ever think he is going to be a top 5 QB. If we have the opportunity to take Trey Lance and let him sit behind Garappolo for a year, that would ideal. This guy looks like Mahommes clone. Big, strong, amazing arm, pinpoint accuracy, and has that killer instinct

Pretty much what I said on the 2nd page
Share 49ersWebzone