LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 142 users in the forums

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Trey Lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by njninersfan420:
I'm all about Wilson, but lance def seems intriguing too. Give me either of these guys and I'm happy

Just watching some of the videos online, you see a little bit of Andrew Luck when he was in Stanford in Lance's play. Similar build and athletic ability.
Lance probably going 2 behind lawerence , so hopefully we behind the jets lol
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

A one year starter who played a whole one game this year is not going in front of Fields and likely not Wilson either.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

A one year starter who played a whole one game this year is not going in front of Fields and likely not Wilson either.

Yeah at this point I think Lance will go 4th.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This. And I know it was rust, but his one showcase this season wasn't that impressive, although his receivers did have a couple of bad drops.

Lawrence
Fields
Wilson
Lance
Mac
Trask
Is this a good qb class?
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Is this a good qb class?

Yes.

Lawrence is a once a decade prospect. Fields would be a top prospect in any class. Lance is every bit as intriguing as Carson Wentz or Josh Allen. Zach Wilson is a mid to 1st round pick in most draft classes. Trask and Jones are solid day 2 picks. Brady White and Matt Corral are intriguing.

I don't know if it will generate better QBs than Watson and Mahomes in 2017 or Burrow and Herbert in 2020, but it is as good as any class in the last 7 years and has plenty of top end talent and just enough "what-ifs" in the later rounds.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Is this a good qb class?

Yes.

Lawrence is a once a decade prospect. Fields would be a top prospect in any class. Lance is every bit as intriguing as Carson Wentz or Josh Allen. Zach Wilson is a mid to 1st round pick in most draft classes. Trask and Jones are solid day 2 picks. Brady White and Matt Corral are intriguing.

I don't know if it will generate better QBs than Watson and Mahomes in 2017 or Burrow and Herbert in 2020, but it is as good as any class in the last 7 years and has plenty of top end talent and just enough "what-ifs" in the later rounds.

We hear this about a quarterback every year. Not saying you're wrong, but it seems like every draft I'm hearing about a generational qb who ends up being mediocre as hell.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
We hear this about a quarterback every year. Not saying you're wrong, but it seems like every draft I'm hearing about a generational qb who ends up being mediocre as hell.

I agree with this most yrs....this yr that statement is accurate.

Lawrence is special. He's been a "generational" talent since HS. Still the team that drafts him will determine just how good he can be.
I don't agree with you here at all. The "generational" is definitely a trope, and we hear it all the time. For example, it's thrown around like candy with running backs. But quarterbacks? No way, it's used a lot less frequently.

Here are QBs drafted in the top 10 since 2012:

Kyler Murray
Daniel Jones

Baker Mayfield
Sam Darnold
Josh Allen

Mitch Tribusky

Jared Goff
Carson Wentz

Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota

Blakes Bortles

(None - EJ Manual at #15 was the highest)

Andrew Luck
RG3

With the exception of Luck, I don't remember any of these guys being labeled a "generational" talent, so I can't get on board with you saying "we hear this about a quarterback every year".

I mean, yeah, I'm sure if you dig deep enough you can find a couple analysts or scouts that love a player and call him generational, but to find a guy who is considered a consensus generational talent is pretty uncommon - at least for a quarterback.

Like, look at Kyler Murray: some people loved him (Cards GM/coach - they did indeed use the word "generational" to describe him), but others thought he was more of a late first-round talent. The evaluation of him was volatile and all over the place. Compare that to Andrew Luck - tracking down a dissenting opinion on him was hard to find. Luck is, imo, the last guy the majority agreed was a can't-miss prospect, and that was about 9 years ago now. Or, put it this way: nobody would bat an eyelash if the Cardinals had drafted Andrew Luck a year after taking Rosen, but going with Murray was highly controversial and opinions were all over the place on it.

I do think that Lawrence is definitely the best QB prospect since Luck. I'm basing that on both the hype surrounding him, but he also passes the eye test for me; the guy was the first true freshman to win a title in over 30 years, and he was absolutely slinging it out there against Alabama.

One thing I feel is necessary to be a great NFL QB is the ability to play in bad weather. Wilson and Lance definitely didn't spend their whole lives in sunny Southern California or Florida.

Lance is a redshirt sophomore so I'm not sure how many people expected him to have achieved more than a perfect record and no turnovers in 2019. I know Lance has a chip on his shoulder for being overlooked multiple times. He can run for sure. Lance and Wilson could be great additions to the Niners. Lawrence would be awesome, but trading up to get him would be extremely costly. Ohio State is so stacked every year I'm always skeptical about their QB in the NFL

There's QBs that get hyped each draft class but a guy like Lawrence is in a class all to himself. Luck was the last prospect that was this well regarded. Lawrence gives you everything. Size, athleticism, a big arm, pocket presence, mobility and has shown up big in some huge games.

No guarantee that he'll succeed in the NFL level but he's a very high level prospect.
Starting to think more and more like Zach Wilson will push for the #3 QB and push Trey Lance down.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Starting to think more and more like Zach Wilson will push for the #3 QB and push Trey Lance down.

I'm just hoping all top 5 QB's declare for the draft. You always get QB's pulling outta the draft right after the season, then screws up everyone's draft board. lol
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

I'm just hoping all top 5 QB's declare for the draft. You always get QB's pulling outta the draft right after the season, then screws up everyone's draft board. lol

Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson, Jones, Trask. That's a decent list this yr.
Share 49ersWebzone