George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 148 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by wailers15:
No thank you. He needs another year at Ohio State IMHO. I see him right now as that classic Athletic freak who dominates in College. Can he transition it over to the NFL???? Is he just a system guy at Ohio St?? Idk.

Let's be honest... Ohio St hasn't produced any legit NFL QB's under Meyer's system. Hell ever

I think there are better options than Fields. Who knows but History says pass

As I said before, he's not a freak athlete... he's also clearly a pass first quarterback. You should consider watching a game before resorting to stereotyping.

Urban Meyer has only had one actual NFL quarterback prospect at Ohio State and that was Dwayne Haskins, who has a live arm but sloppy footwork. The jury is still out on him.

I have watched plenty on him. I followed him on his way to GA before the transfer. Well aware.

Not sure what you mean about Meyer having only one NFL QB prospect? If that's the case then what's that got to say about OSU QB's?? That their just system QB's and cannot transition to the next level?
No thank you. He needs another year at Ohio State IMHO. I see him right now as that classic Athletic freak who dominates in College. Can he transition it over to the NFL???? Is he just a system guy at Ohio St?? Idk.

Let's be honest... Ohio St hasn't produced any legit NFL QB's under Meyer's system. Hell ever

As I said before, he's not a freak athlete... he's also clearly a pass first quarterback. You should consider watching a game before resorting to stereotyping.

Urban Meyer has only had one actual NFL quarterback prospect at Ohio State and that was Dwayne Haskins, who has a live arm but sloppy footwork. The jury is still out on him.

I have watched plenty on him. I followed him on his way to GA before the transfer. Well aware.

Not sure what you mean about Meyer having only one NFL QB prospect? If that's the case then what's that got to say about OSU QB's?? That their just system QB's and cannot transition to the next level?

Do you understand how college football works, or even football in general? Since Urban Meyer has been at Ohio State he has had Braxton Miller at quarterback, an outstanding athlete but someone who was never considered an NFL prospect. He ended up moving to wide receiver his senior year and was a 2nd or 3rd round pick by the Texans if I remember right.

Then he had JT Barrett... a perfect college quarterback... very smart, a strong runner, great leader... but not much of an arm and again, never taken seriously as an NFL prospect. I think he wound up as a 6th round pick or something.

Cardale Jones fit the bill, a bit of a head case, but a HUGE arm and good mechanics. Only half a year as a starter, though, and struggled splitting time with Barrett.. he ended up a 3rd or 4th round pick for the Bills. Actually looked good in preseason but never got his shot. Not sure where he's at now.

I already spoke on Haskins. Urban had Tebow who, once again, was never a real QB prospect but an excellent college football player. Chris Leak was small, had a weak arm and was surrounded by great talent, but not a real QB option at the next level.

There is no real QB factory... NFL quarterbacks are hard to find. Fields is a real NFL talent.

You say you watched plenty on him before he went to Georgia, but that's pretty irrelevant. In high school I'm sure all he did was run around in circles and throw deep, but wasn't allowed to develop which is normal in high school.

He was co-MVP with Lawrence at the Elite 11 QB camp, which has nothing to do with mobility. He was ranked higher than Lawrence by a lot of publications. He goes to Georgia and battles out with Jake Fromm. Fromm's family are big time boosters with the program and it's pretty much well known that he was penciled in as a starter and Fields never had a shot which is why he sought out a transfer.

Players change... they get better, they regress... etc etc. If the last you saw of Fields was his high school stuff or a highlight tape you're doing yourself a disservice. Remember, Joe Burrow was a backup at OSU and was beaten out by Haskins before transferring to LSU. He had a very mediocre junior season and then proceeded to have the best year anyone has ever had in college football history.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran

Do you understand how college football works, or even football in general? Since Urban Meyer has been at Ohio State he has had Braxton Miller at quarterback, an outstanding athlete but someone who was never considered an NFL prospect. He ended up moving to wide receiver his senior year and was a 2nd or 3rd round pick by the Texans if I remember right.

Then he had JT Barrett... a perfect college quarterback... very smart, a strong runner, great leader... but not much of an arm and again, never taken seriously as an NFL prospect. I think he wound up as a 6th round pick or something.

Cardale Jones fit the bill, a bit of a head case, but a HUGE arm and good mechanics. Only half a year as a starter, though, and struggled splitting time with Barrett.. he ended up a 3rd or 4th round pick for the Bills. Actually looked good in preseason but never got his shot. Not sure where he's at now.

I already spoke on Haskins. Urban had Tebow who, once again, was never a real QB prospect but an excellent college football player. Chris Leak was small, had a weak arm and was surrounded by great talent, but not a real QB option at the next level.

There is no real QB factory... NFL quarterbacks are hard to find. Fields is a real NFL talent.

You say you watched plenty on him before he went to Georgia, but that's pretty irrelevant. In high school I'm sure all he did was run around in circles and throw deep, but wasn't allowed to develop which is normal in high school.

He was co-MVP with Lawrence at the Elite 11 QB camp, which has nothing to do with mobility. He was ranked higher than Lawrence by a lot of publications. He goes to Georgia and battles out with Jake Fromm. Fromm's family are big time boosters with the program and it's pretty much well known that he was penciled in as a starter and Fields never had a shot which is why he sought out a transfer.

Players change... they get better, they regress... etc etc. If the last you saw of Fields was his high school stuff or a highlight tape you're doing yourself a disservice. Remember, Joe Burrow was a backup at OSU and was beaten out by Haskins before transferring to LSU. He had a very mediocre junior season and then proceeded to have the best year anyone has ever had in college football history.

You are talking to a guy who thinks Mac Jones looks good lol
^^

Just offering some insight into a player who I've seen a lot is all.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
^^

Just offering some insight into a player who I've seen a lot is all.

You are spot on, nice breakdown on the 1st page.
Watching this video made me feel like I'm going through a breakup. Like the jimmy G niners marriage is coming to an end.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Watching this video made me feel like I'm going through a breakup. Like the jimmy G niners marriage is coming to an end.

I mean I think there is no cap hit this offseason if they released him.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
I mean I think there is no cap hit this offseason if they released him.

You're correct. Just 2.8 mil cap hit

Yes I watch a ton of College ball. A lot more than I do NFL I'd say. And yes I do understand how Football works We can agree to disagree the winner points of what is considered an NFL prospect. JT Barrett, Miller, and Jones were all talked about playing at the next level at some point.

Miller was converted to WR due to a shoulder injury. That prior year though he was Big 10 POY and was being talked about as an NFL QB. Agreed on Jones. Haskins probably the best of those 3.

I did watch a lot of his HS film indeed. There's a pretty cool documentary that follows him, Lawerence and another guy throughout their Elite camps. The competition is fantastic, and yes it's all strictly throwing. The big question coming out of HS was WTH did he even sign with GA?? Made 0 sense. That was a head scratcher. I haven't heard much on the Fromm booster tip as I did with the racist encounter he had with the baseball team. He wanted to play baseball too and he was going play both sports. I know he had a fight with a player and that shortly after he transferred.

I think LSU's system with the WR's, RB's complimented Burrows attributes and that really helped him jump in success. Not saying Ohio State didn't have solid RB's or WR's, and OL but they weren't on LSU's level. Steve Ensminger also I read played a huge and vital role in working with Joe. More of a mindset refresh.

Hey either way Fields is a tremendous talent. It seems like after that injury he lost some of that athleticism. Which I would expect, and that's why I say another year would do him wonders. A transition to the NFL?? IDK. Lawerence is a much natural passer IMO. I'd say Fields though is the best passing QB Ohio St has had in a long time.

(& yes BTW I have been to a few of the 7 on 7 camps throughout the past few years as my brother in law is a coach)

I appreciate your insight
Originally posted by jimrat:
You are talking to a guy who thinks Mac Jones looks good lol

now this sounds like someone who doesn't watch college ball .

Have you not watched any games this year? If so can you honestly say he hasn't been playing lights out? Leads the nation in completion %, passer rating, yds per comp. He's literally dropping dimes. Dude does look good. no doubt about that. I'm not saying draft the fkn guy, but he looks damn good so far. Kinda hard to argue that.

I know a player shouldn't be damned by their association to a school, but I'm not a fan of USC, UCLA, or Ohio State QBs in the NFL. Trey Lance I think is worth a gamble, and he is driven by being overlooked in his mind (Wilson, Brady, Brees, Rodgers are still bitter).
This kid looks super legit. I'd take him with a top 5 pick
I like him but I like Trey Lance even more.

Originally posted by Monsterniner:
I like him but I like Trey Lance even more.

Trey looks bad ass but I think he's more of a gimmick/ project QB. Fields looks more NFL ready. I'll take the guy who puts up the same kind of stats against better competition any day
Share 49ersWebzone