LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 136 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by rathman4481:
One thing I find funny how people say he can't go through reads or holds the ball too long (which is somewhat true) but aren't in the QB room. Meaning, we don't know what the coaches are telling him and what the reads/designs are.

I definitely think he could excel in our offense and some of the quicker throws we make as well as taking a deep shot once in a while.

Yeah he's being over analyzed wayyyyy more than any other prospect, it's weird.

we've seen the progressions, that's no even a debatable thing at this point. He does hold onto the ball a little longer then you'd like. Some of that is scheme rated.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
I really want us to draft him. Sit him behind Jimmy, let him learn, and just imagine how much he can open up Kyle's playbook. There will be no limits as long as Fields knows where the open man is.

Sexy as f right?!

How EVERYONE can see that BUT possibly our HC is beyond me

When you have the best offensive mind in football, why would you not want him to have the crazy talent at QB...if kyle can't work and develop a guy like Fields into a star then I question kyle.

its KS job on the line and he is a grat offensive mind no matter what.

It should be 100% his choice on who we should select and who should run his system
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
I really want us to draft him. Sit him behind Jimmy, let him learn, and just imagine how much he can open up Kyle's playbook. There will be no limits as long as Fields knows where the open man is.

Sexy as f right?!

When you have the best offensive mind in football, why would you not want him to have the crazy talent at QB...if kyle can't work and develop a guy like Fields into a star then I question kyle.

What evidence suggests to you that Shanahan is capable of developing any QB? Matt Ryan was already developed. He just needed a year to learn the system. RGIII was all down hill from his rookie year. Jimmy has been the same for years. CJ has done nothing to improve.

You ought to question Kyle. Not his system, not his play design. But his QB development and QB scouting? There is every reason to question those things.

Have you ever heard the man actually coach? If people don't get better with him as a coach it's because they aren't putting in the work or not listening.

And Jimmy hasn't been the same since his injury. Only so much you can coach. Some things are god given.
If Shanahan passes on Fields it says more about him than it does about Fields or his ability.
Originally posted by rathman4481:
One thing I find funny how people say he can't go through reads or holds the ball too long (which is somewhat true) but aren't in the QB room. Meaning, we don't know what the coaches are telling him and what the reads/designs are.

I definitely think he could excel in our offense and some of the quicker throws we make as well as taking a deep shot once in a while.

Yeah he's being over analyzed wayyyyy more than any other prospect, it's weird.

we've seen the progressions, that's no even a debatable thing at this point. He does hold onto the ball a little longer then you'd like. Some of that is scheme rated.

Probably because people are trying to understand why Shanahan wouldn't take such an extremely talented guy. And if all these rumors turn out to be baseless, it will have been for nothing at all.
I fully believe Shannahan sees Fields as the guy and is just happy to let everyone think it's Jones.

He said there are 3 QBs he's comfortable with. They asked him if he's comfortable with Fields at the elite level and he said yes.

They asked him about Jones and he went on about expanding that list to 4 or 5.

How anyone could have listened to that and come out with Jones is the 3rd guy is beyond me.
Originally posted by genus49:

Sexy as f right?!

What evidence suggests to you that Shanahan is capable of developing any QB? Matt Ryan was already developed. He just needed a year to learn the system. RGIII was all down hill from his rookie year. Jimmy has been the same for years. CJ has done nothing to improve.

You ought to question Kyle. Not his system, not his play design. But his QB development and QB scouting? There is every reason to question those things.

Have you ever heard the man actually coach? If people don't get better with him as a coach it's because they aren't putting in the work or not listening.

And Jimmy hasn't been the same since his injury. Only so much you can coach. Some things are god given.

Jimmy's weaknesses aren't related to mobility. They're related to vision. He can't see the open man on a regular basis unless the open man is a schemed, one-read throw.

But I do agree that to an extent that's God given. However, he has another weakness: poor fundamentals which make his deep accuracy sketchy. THAT'S got to be on coaching to an extent.
Originally posted by genus49:

Sexy as f right?!

Jimmy's weaknesses aren't related to mobility. They're related to vision. He can't see the open man on a regular basis unless the open man is a schemed, one-read throw.

But I do agree that to an extent that's God given. However, he has another weakness: poor fundamentals which make his deep accuracy sketchy. THAT'S got to be on coaching to an extent.

RG3 looked great till his injury

and say what you want about Cousins but it isnt like he is a bad qb he is a solid starter in the nfl and has had success with 2 teams
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Fields is a bigger version of Deshaun Watson.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Honestly, he reminds me more of Young, but obviously right handed.
Like we've been saying. We believe this kid can be coached and the idea is Kyle is that coach. He will turn this kid in a monster. The sky really is the limit.

Originally posted by Ripamaru:
I fully believe Shannahan sees Fields as the guy and is just happy to let everyone think it's Jones.

He said there are 3 QBs he's comfortable with. They asked him if he's comfortable with Fields at the elite level and he said yes.

How anyone could have listened to that and come out with Jones is the 3rd guy is beyond me.

Because there's no story there. Lawrence to the Jags is obvious. They have made Wilson to the Jets an automatic even though to the best of my knowledge, they have revealed nothing. The idea of a top QB talent coming to a team this good is really unheard of. The closest parallel I can make is James Worthy being drafted by the World Champion Lakers at number 2 overall. We obviously aren't world champions, but are a year away for competing from the Super Bowl and did pretty well to finish 6-10 considering all of the injuries.

Like we've been saying. We believe this kid can be coached and the idea is Kyle is that coach. He will turn this kid in a monster. The sky really is the limit.

This is exactly what I see. I'm envisioning the 1992-1994 49ers. A guy that will consistently put up 4000+ yards of offense and can give 300-500 on the ground.

Sexy as f right?!

How do you know the HC can't see it?
Wait till he drafts Jones.

Hate to be a negative nancy but this will make it hurt less.

No it will hurt much much more. This team will be no different then if we had Jimmy. We don't even know if Jones can stay healthy either.

I think Jones will be a very good QB, but if that's the move, we would've been better off drafting Pitts, investing two day 2 picks on O-line, add a speed demon at WR, etc.

Because and one who has watched previous drafts knows anything said this time of year is a smokescreen.

Once again those issues weren't there with Jimmy as a prospect. They weren't there with Jimmy when he came in to this team in 2017. The level of his play in that 5 game stretch was elite. And he wasn't playing with a loaded roster either.

Things happen in the NFL. Injuries are one of them. How guys respond after them is part of it. Have we ever even seen Mac get hit on a consistent basis in any game? It's pretty easy to be confident in your reads and stand back to make plays when you're confident you're not getting blown up.

You're giving up several future firsts. You better draft a guy who is scheme independent.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Because there's no story there. Lawrence to the Jags is obvious. They have made Wilson to the Jets an automatic even though to the best of my knowledge, they have revealed nothing. The idea of a top QB talent coming to a team this good is really unheard of. The closest parallel I can make is James Worthy being drafted by the World Champion Lakers at number 2 overall. We obviously aren't world champions, but are a year away for competing from the Super Bowl and did pretty well to finish 6-10 considering all of the injuries.

This is exactly what I see. I'm envisioning the 1992-1994 49ers. A guy that will consistently put up 4000+ yards of offense and can give 300-500 on the ground.

Yes. And people forget this, but I fully expect them to sit him for the first year and ride with Jimmy as he said. (Who we hope stays healthy and balls out!)

It's a dream scenario for a young QB. As much as he may hate not playing as Kuke said, he's not getting tossed into the fire prematurely.
Share 49ersWebzone