LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 108 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by ritz126:
RG3 looked great till his injury

and say what you want about Cousins but it isnt like he is a bad qb he is a solid starter in the nfl and has had success with 2 teams

The Kirk stuff is so overblown as well...like he said he coached him for only 3 games. He liked him enough to say draft him in the 4th rd. If people watch Kirk in college it was heavy under center PA/Boot stuff as well.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Ripamaru:
I fully believe Shannahan sees Fields as the guy and is just happy to let everyone think it's Jones.

He said there are 3 QBs he's comfortable with. They asked him if he's comfortable with Fields at the elite level and he said yes.

They asked him about Jones and he went on about expanding that list to 4 or 5.

How anyone could have listened to that and come out with Jones is the 3rd guy is beyond me.

Because there's no story there. Lawrence to the Jags is obvious. They have made Wilson to the Jets an automatic even though to the best of my knowledge, they have revealed nothing. The idea of a top QB talent coming to a team this good is really unheard of. The closest parallel I can make is James Worthy being drafted by the World Champion Lakers at number 2 overall. We obviously aren't world champions, but are a year away for competing from the Super Bowl and did pretty well to finish 6-10 considering all of the injuries.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Fields is a bigger version of Deshaun Watson.

Honestly, he reminds me more of Young, but obviously right handed.
Like we've been saying. We believe this kid can be coached and the idea is Kyle is that coach. He will turn this kid in a monster. The sky really is the limit.

This is exactly what I see. I'm envisioning the 1992-1994 49ers. A guy that will consistently put up 4000+ yards of offense and can give 300-500 on the ground.

Yes. And people forget this, but I fully expect them to sit him for the first year and ride with Jimmy as he said. (Who we hope stays healthy and balls out!)

It's a dream scenario for a young QB. As much as he may hate not playing as Kuke said, he's not getting tossed into the fire prematurely.

I honestly have always loved how Bill Walsh brought Montana along. Deliberately inserting him into situations where he could be successful and building up that confidence. It would be great if fans and teams had more patience for that approach.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I fully believe Shannahan sees Fields as the guy and is just happy to let everyone think it's Jones.

He said there are 3 QBs he's comfortable with. They asked him if he's comfortable with Fields at the elite level and he said yes.

How anyone could have listened to that and come out with Jones is the 3rd guy is beyond me.

Agree.

He may be leaning towards one of the QBs, but no decision has been irrevocably made at this point. I think he's having trouble deciding between Fields and Mac-- that's why he needed a whole month to figure it out. Hence the trade ONE whole month before the draft to make sure he doesn't do another Solomon/Pettis mistake.

I think trying to hide there intentions by not do too many interviews with players they were drafting might have hurt them in the past. (Example possibly Pettis).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Because there's no story there. Lawrence to the Jags is obvious. They have made Wilson to the Jets an automatic even though to the best of my knowledge, they have revealed nothing. The idea of a top QB talent coming to a team this good is really unheard of. The closest parallel I can make is James Worthy being drafted by the World Champion Lakers at number 2 overall. We obviously aren't world champions, but are a year away for competing from the Super Bowl and did pretty well to finish 6-10 considering all of the injuries.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Fields is a bigger version of Deshaun Watson.

Honestly, he reminds me more of Young, but obviously right handed.
Like we've been saying. We believe this kid can be coached and the idea is Kyle is that coach. He will turn this kid in a monster. The sky really is the limit.

This is exactly what I see. I'm envisioning the 1992-1994 49ers. A guy that will consistently put up 4000+ yards of offense and can give 300-500 on the ground.

Yes. And people forget this, but I fully expect them to sit him for the first year and ride with Jimmy as he said. (Who we hope stays healthy and balls out!)

It's a dream scenario for a young QB. As much as he may hate not playing as Kuke said, he's not getting tossed into the fire prematurely.

I honestly have always loved how Bill Walsh brought Montana along. Deliberately inserting him into situations where he could be successful and building up that confidence. It would be great if fans and teams had more patience for that approach.

Agree. I can see Fields being brought in just to have that QB mobility on certain RPO plays and taking Jimmy out for that reason. I agree, Feilds is very similar to Steve Young from that athleticism point of view.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree. I can see Fields being brought in just to have that QB mobility on certain RPO plays and taking Jimmy out for that reason. I agree, Feilds is very similar to Steve Young from that athleticism point of view.

He's similar in size too. A little bigger but then all players are bigger now so relative to the guys he'll be facing. Steve isn't as fast but he was fast during his era. He was also pretty elusive.
The weird thing is when people are saying that Shanny has 3 he likes they mean Fields, Lance and Jones. Well the reality is the 3 are Lawrence, Wilson and...? I think it's Fields, he makes the most sense. He's got that extra escape ability that gives him the edge. Lance has the potential. I just don't buy that they would've traded up that far for Mac Jones. I think they knew they could trade to 6. I think they knew Jones would be there at 6 and that's why they traded to 3 instead. To me Jones is what he is. I think he'll get a little bit better as a pro and that's it. He will consistently win enough games to have you draft low. Maybe get you to the playoffs 2 or 3 times in his rookie deal but not enough x factor to win a Lombardi. I really like Lance though. His size makes me believe he'll be more durable than Fields. He's just so young.
Someone explain to me the backlash orlavsky is recieving? He was asked why fields may be dropping. He said he heard from some teams that his work ethic may be in question. That's basically all he said. Now people are mad at him. I'm so confused.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
If Shanahan passes on Fields it says more about him than it does about Fields or his ability.

Drafts CJ beathard and Mac jones. Passes on fields mahommes and watson.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Someone explain to me the backlash orlavsky is recieving? He was asked why fields may be dropping. He said he heard from some teams that his work ethic may be in question. That's basically all he said. Now people are mad at him. I'm so confused.

Because he went on to say that those rumors were never verified. He literally just threw b******t into the ether and reported it as news. He did it to a kid who, from all indication has amazing character and toughness. Meanwhile, theres a guy who's out of shape with a DUI whose character is never questioned.

The whole thing screams of sloppy reporting and in today's society seems to be a dog whistle for racism.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

He's similar in size too. A little bigger but then all players are bigger now so relative to the guys he'll be facing. Steve isn't as fast but he was fast during his era. He was also pretty elusive.

Steve was a great running back, just watch the youtube 50+ yard scramble vs the number 1 ranked Vikings defense. But as a QB he was hall of fame accurate and could throw any pass asked of him. If Fields is half of Steve Young then add Kyle into the mix (versus George Seifert trade Haley for pea pea nuts) you have the potential of 7 super bowl wins if he can play till he's 45.

Steve was a great running back, just watch the youtube 50+ yard scramble vs the number 1 ranked Vikings defense. But as a QB he was hall of fame accurate and could throw any pass asked of him. If Fields is half of Steve Young then add Kyle into the mix (versus George Seifert trade Haley for pea pea nuts) you have the potential of 7 super bowl wins if he can play till he's 45.

I don't need to watch the youtube . I was there. I also did the voice over for that play at the Niners museum. They have an interactive deal where you can pick from several plays and become the announcer. Then they send a copy to your computer at home. Really cool. Aside from the Catch, that was one of my favorite plays ever. I put it right up there with Garrison Hearst's overtime TD run against the Jets, Owens' TD catch and a bomb from Montana to Rice in the 2nd half comeback against the Eagles. Oh, I forgot the 2 John Taylor 90+ yard TDs against the Rams.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Apr 4, 2021 at 8:35 AM ]
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Because he went on to say that those rumors were never verified. He literally just threw b******t into the ether and reported it as news. He did it to a kid who, from all indication has amazing character and toughness. Meanwhile, theres a guy who's out of shape with a DUI whose character is never questioned.

The whole thing screams of sloppy reporting and in today's society seems to be a dog whistle for racism.

Damned if he do. Damned if he don't. If he was asked why Fields was dropping and he didn't answer the question because it wasn't verified you'd be claiming racism still.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:

Damned if he do. Damned if he don't. If he was asked why Fields was dropping and he didn't answer the question because it wasn't verified you'd be claiming racism still.

I think the speed of social media is a big part of fake news (or supposed fake news) its just that kind of time now. I slow down my conclusions and speed up my investigations to counter the sheer speed of how information flows nowadays.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I don't need to watch the youtube . I was there. I also did the voice over for that play at the Niners museum. They have an interactive deal where you can pick from several plays and become the announcer. Then they send a copy to your computer at home. Really cool. Aside from the Catch, that was one of my favorite plays ever. I put it right up there with Garrison Hearst's overtime TD run against the Jets, Owens' TD catch and a bomb from Montana to Rice in the 2nd half comeback against the Eagles. Oh, I forgot the 2 John Taylor 90+ yard TDs against the Rams.

seadderall fans wish they had half our history!
Agree.

He may be leaning towards one of the QBs, but no decision has been irrevocably made at this point. I think he's having trouble deciding between Fields and Mac-- that's why he needed a whole month to figure it out. Hence the trade ONE whole month before the draft to make sure he doesn't do another Solomon/Pettis mistake.

I think trying to hide there intentions by not do too many interviews with players they were drafting might have hurt them in the past. (Example possibly Pettis).

I think he traded up right now is because he was sure that he had three pegged as first round talents and that if he got to three he was guaranteed he'd get one of them. Just like he said and it makes sense

He did it this early because there was immense competition for the three spot. He did not want to bid on draft day so he made the trade now

MIA had multiple offers and that's why the draft capital spent was so much

The trade was made for Justin Fields and we'll see this on day 1 draft day with no more than 20 minutes into it
Share 49ersWebzone