Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 188 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by swayze:
What's the likelihood that Shanny takes both a toolsy QB at #3 and then a "pocket passer" like Davis Mills if he's available in the 4th round?

edited to put "pocket passer" in scare quotes because Fields is in reality also a pocket passer

He's got a pocket passer that's cheap as s**t with as high of a ceiling as any in the pocket passer with Rosen.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What's the likelihood that Shanny takes both a toolsy QB at #3 and then a "pocket passer" like Davis Mills if he's available in the 4th round?

edited to put "pocket passer" in scare quotes because Fields is in reality also a pocket passer

He's got a pocket passer that's cheap as s**t with as high of a ceiling as any in the pocket passer with Rosen.

I can def see shanny taking a qb in middle rounds with cj n Mullins gone and possibly Jimmy g
Originally posted by Heroism:
Fields is good at everything Jimmy isn't lol. Deep throws and throws outside of the numbers are money for Fields.

Fields has his own set of flaws.

This QB breakdown on missing a simple read for free yards is 1 example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej24TdFuKrE

15:56 mark

I could see KS going insane if his QB is missing easy stuff like this on game day

I have no idea if this is a simple coach em up skill or a deal breaker for KS
Originally posted by JMC52:

I can def see shanny taking a qb in middle rounds with cj n Mullins gone and possibly Jimmy g

Not against that strategy unless you're passing on a Tremble or nice WR in R4. All in for R5 though.
  • thl408
I'm not feeling the Lance over Fields assessment that some have. Some media analysts I've read put "played with a fullback" (for Lance) as if it's some complicated scheme change that a QB might not be able to handle. Those that knock Mac for playing with excellent WRs also need to knock Lance for playing against defensive backs that blow coverages too often.

"Lance set protections in college". Unless Kyle thinks Fields is too stupid to learn that aspect of the game, that's why the rookie 49er QB will be sitting year 1.

There's only one area that Lance has over Fields and that's the ability to break tackles - something I put very low on the list of criteria for a QB. Then consider that Lance is breaking tackles against defenders that will never sniff an NFL camp tryout.

Between Lance and Fields, the arm strength is comparable, the accuracy is comparable, the mobility is comparable. Fields' experience and pedigree from high school through college puts him head and shoulders above Lance imo. Lance is the guy you select when you want Fields but he's already off the board.

Fields is good at everything Jimmy isn't lol. Deep throws and throws outside of the numbers are money for Fields.

Hey if Shanny wants a qb who can't make his throws then Mac Mcorkle is his dude
  • thl408
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Fields has his own set of flaws.

This QB breakdown on missing a simple read for free yards is 1 example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej24TdFuKrE

15:56 mark

I could see KS going insane if his QB is missing easy stuff like this on game day

I have no idea if this is a simple coach em up skill or a deal breaker for KS

About that particular play, that's something you can drill into the QB no problem. I agree a flaw of Fields is trying to do too much. There was an INT where he was about to be tackled and threw up some ridiculous prayer of a pass - it was Nick Mullens-esque. A team drafting Fields will need to reel that in a bit. No more hero ball when the situation does not require it.

As well as the "tough as s**t" criteria that Shanny loved and in large part drafted Beathard for. What Fields did against Clemson after the rib shot and then played against Bama with it gotta be a breath of fresh air for Shanny after he had to watch his QB1 miss the whole season for a freaking high ankle sprain lol. Fields would spat that s**t up and go back out there like the throwback QBs did
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not feeling the Lance over Fields assessment that some have. Some media analysts I've read put "played with a fullback" (for Lance) as if it's some complicated scheme change that a QB might not be able to handle. Those that knock Mac for playing with excellent WRs also need to knock Lance for playing against defensive backs that blow coverages too often.

"Lance set protections in college". Unless Kyle thinks Fields is too stupid to learn that aspect of the game, that's why the rookie 49er QB will be sitting year 1.

There's only one area that Lance has over Fields and that's the ability to break tackles - something I put very low on the list of criteria for a QB. Then consider that Lance is breaking tackles against defenders that will never sniff an NFL camp tryout.

Between Lance and Fields, the arm strength is comparable, the accuracy is comparable, the mobility is comparable. Fields' experience and pedigree from high school through college puts him head and shoulders above Lance imo. Lance is the guy you select when you want Fields but he's already off the board.

Good post.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:

Good post.
Agreed, solid post.

Dont get me wrong, I think I am still hoping for Lance in my heart, but after much review, I think the right move is this guy.

I think this is where I landed on Fields as well. But I think I have them closer than you.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:

Good post.
Agreed, solid post.
The arm strength between the two seems to be nearly the same. Accuracy, in my opinion, favors Fields by a landslide. Mobility goes to Lance. Fields is fast based off his 40 time but he doesn't play at that speed, at least he didn't in college. And then level of playing field also goes to Fields by a landslide.

Fields is more pro ready and has much more experience than Lance.

A few things i think Lance has over Fields is pre/post snap reads and decion making. Its very rare you find a qb make so little mistakes and those things are very hard to develop. The lack of reps for Lance is a red flag though i do agree with that
I think Fields and Lance are both high level ceilings but Justin is the safer of the two IMO. I think he is more accurate and he also has more on tape.

Lance is more mobile and hasn't really played since 2019. There is so much projection with him. I don't think he really offers anything that Justin can't do.
Share 49ersWebzone