LISTEN: Brandon Aiyuk Rumors, Trent Williams and 49ers Camp Standouts with Cam Inman →

There are 248 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Because he went on to say that those rumors were never verified. He literally just threw b******t into the ether and reported it as news. He did it to a kid who, from all indication has amazing character and toughness. Meanwhile, theres a guy who's out of shape with a DUI whose character is never questioned.

The whole thing screams of sloppy reporting and in today's society seems to be a dog whistle for racism.

Damned if he do. Damned if he don't. If he was asked why Fields was dropping and he didn't answer the question because it wasn't verified you'd be claiming racism still.

Is saying "I don't know why he's dropping. I haven't found a credible report yet" a possibility?
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Fields is good at everything Jimmy isn't lol. Deep throws and throws outside of the numbers are money for Fields.

Fields has his own set of flaws.

This QB breakdown on missing a simple read for free yards is 1 example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej24TdFuKrE

15:56 mark

I could see KS going insane if his QB is missing easy stuff like this on game day

I have no idea if this is a simple coach em up skill or a deal breaker for KS

I'd hope it's a coach em up skill. Like why are we watching film if we aren't going to work on this?
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by krizay:
Because he went on to say that those rumors were never verified. He literally just threw b******t into the ether and reported it as news. He did it to a kid who, from all indication has amazing character and toughness. Meanwhile, theres a guy who's out of shape with a DUI whose character is never questioned.

The whole thing screams of sloppy reporting and in today's society seems to be a dog whistle for racism.

Damned if he do. Damned if he don't. If he was asked why Fields was dropping and he didn't answer the question because it wasn't verified you'd be claiming racism still.

He is being roasted because he failed step 1 of journalism.

He literally repeated a rumor and didn't fact check it.

He admitted fact checking after being ripped on social media and identified 2 specific sources who told him the opposite of the story was true.

His excuse now is he reported what someone told him.

We already knew that...that is how rumors and BS spread.

Orlovsky is part of the problem and deserves the criticism

Agreed.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm not feeling the Lance over Fields assessment that some have. Some media analysts I've read put "played with a fullback" (for Lance) as if it's some complicated scheme change that a QB might not be able to handle. Those that knock Mac for playing with excellent WRs also need to knock Lance for playing against defensive backs that blow coverages too often.

"Lance set protections in college". Unless Kyle thinks Fields is too stupid to learn that aspect of the game, that's why the rookie 49er QB will be sitting year 1.

There's only one area that Lance has over Fields and that's the ability to break tackles - something I put very low on the list of criteria for a QB. Then consider that Lance is breaking tackles against defenders that will never sniff an NFL camp tryout.

Between Lance and Fields, the arm strength is comparable, the accuracy is comparable, the mobility is comparable. Fields' experience and pedigree from high school through college puts him head and shoulders above Lance imo. Lance is the guy you select when you want Fields but he's already off the board.

Well said.
Today is Easter Sunday, and my birthday is on Wednesday. All I want is a franchise QB. So please, baby Jesus; NFL Odin; Football gods; whoever is up there, please give us one of the two below, and I'll be eternally thankful.

[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 4, 2021 at 4:03 PM ]
Today is Easter Sunday, and my birthday is on Wednesday. All I want is a franchise QB. So please, baby Jesus; NFL Odin; Football gods; whoever is up there, please give us one of the two below, and I'll be eternally thankful.

One of those is better than the other. Hope the Jets do us the favor everyone thinks they will.

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏
  • thl408
Originally posted by ritz126:
I'm not feeling the Lance over Fields assessment that some have. Some media analysts I've read put "played with a fullback" (for Lance) as if it's some complicated scheme change that a QB might not be able to handle. Those that knock Mac for playing with excellent WRs also need to knock Lance for playing against defensive backs that blow coverages too often.

"Lance set protections in college". Unless Kyle thinks Fields is too stupid to learn that aspect of the game, that's why the rookie 49er QB will be sitting year 1.

There's only one area that Lance has over Fields and that's the ability to break tackles - something I put very low on the list of criteria for a QB. Then consider that Lance is breaking tackles against defenders that will never sniff an NFL camp tryout.

Between Lance and Fields, the arm strength is comparable, the accuracy is comparable, the mobility is comparable. Fields' experience and pedigree from high school through college puts him head and shoulders above Lance imo. Lance is the guy you select when you want Fields but he's already off the board.

Fields is more pro ready and has much more experience than Lance.

A few things i think Lance has over Fields is pre/post snap reads and decion making. Its very rare you find a qb make so little mistakes and those things are very hard to develop. The lack of reps for Lance is a red flag though i do agree with that

Regarding 'pro ready', many analysts actually claim Lance is more pro ready because he is making audibles at the line and setting protection calls to go along with how he has experience playing from under center. I'm not sure which is actually more pro ready, but because we know that the rookie 49er QB will get to sit one year, I am de-prioritizing the 'pro ready' aspect a bit.

But the argument against that (Lance more pro ready) is that we know Fields can and has performed under the bright lights. He has big game moments and we know he doesn't wilt under that type of pressure. I do not consider the FCS championship game as equal to the FBS championship - it's just not - even if both are championship games. Maybe Lance has no issues with this and would excel in prime time big moments. We don't know. We do know Fields has experienced it before.

I don't know enough about each QB's presnap reads to comment one way or another regarding that topic. We do know that Kyle's offense uses a lot of presnap motion and/or formational alignment (line up a RB/TE out wide) to give the QB presnap clues about the coverage. Any QB the 49ers select will benefit from this.
Is there a date yet for the 2nd pro day?
Originally posted by gold49digger:

I think it was April 29th that we will be speaking to him
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by gold49digger:

I think it was April 29th that we will be speaking to him

I'll accept that

Regarding 'pro ready', many analysts actually claim Lance is more pro ready because he is making audibles at the line and setting protection calls to go along with how he has experience playing from under center. I'm not sure which is actually more pro ready, but because we know that the rookie 49er QB will get to sit one year, I am de-prioritizing the 'pro ready' aspect a bit.

But the argument against that (Lance more pro ready) is that we know Fields can and has performed under the bright lights. He has big game moments and we know he doesn't wilt under that type of pressure. I do not consider the FCS championship game as equal to the FBS championship - it's just not - even if both are championship games. Maybe Lance has no issues with this and would excel in prime time big moments. We don't know. We do know Fields has experienced it before.

I don't know enough about each QB's presnap reads to comment one way or another regarding that topic. We do know that Kyle's offense uses a lot of presnap motion and/or formational alignment (line up a RB/TE out wide) to give the QB presnap clues about the coverage. Any QB the 49ers select will benefit from this.

i wouldnt say this is really a negative trait for Fields to be clear. Its just he wasnt asked to do much pre snap reads in ohio state where Lance was asked to do this. I dont know how people can say Lance is more pro ready given his lack of experience even in college he hasn't passed that much although i wouldn't say Lance is raw there are many things that need to improve which is why i don't think he is pro ready for example i think his ball placement needs a lot of improvement he isnt as accurate as Fields in the mid and long rage passing either

One thing i will say about any of these top 5 QBs is they are all hard workers and are smart so im not too worried about the mental aspect and im not too worried about having Fields learn pre snap reads and protection calls. I dont believe that should be the reason we would go Lance over Fields
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yep hopefully the Jets take Wilson like they suppose to and we get the guy that will play with a chip on his shoulders to prove the naysayers wrong. I have no doubt if we get Fields he will have a tree like chip on his shoulder. The other two guys that come to mind the plays like that have been Brady and Rodgers. We can only hope that Fields plays with that kind of aggression and be the fierce competitor they are. I know Shanahan will probably keep remaining Fields that people doubt your ability, call you stupid(black QB label) and Lawrence is better. Unleythe Beast Justin Fields.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:

Good post.
Agreed, solid post.
The arm strength between the two seems to be nearly the same. Accuracy, in my opinion, favors Fields by a landslide. Mobility goes to Lance. Fields is fast based off his 40 time but he doesn't play at that speed, at least he didn't in college. And then level of playing field also goes to Fields by a landslide.

As thl notes Lance's mobility was vs much weaker competition and few future NFL players...let alone top flight starters there.

Plus I don't want our QB looking to break tackles when running.

Lance's inexperience and his competition level worries me big time. THL is spot on, there isn't really one thing Lance does that Fields cannot do. Is Lance running more of a pro offense really give him a leg up despite having like 300 less attempts passing vs weaker competition?

If we're sitting the rookie then definitely not in my opinion.

Happy Early Birthday!

Mine is on 4/20(I know many people here celebrate it)

I'm combining my wish with yours.
Fields is a pro. Despite the lofty ranking he's always held, and even though he outplayed Lawrence at the Elite 11 camp and won the MVP, he was ranked behind him.

He goes to Georgia and out plays Jake Fromm, but due to politics and Kirby Smart's stubbornness he's stuck on the bench.

He transfers and now has people calling him a quitter, saying he couldn't hack it at Georgia and was too dumb to master the offense.

Sets records at Ohio State, 41 touchdowns 3 picks as a freshman with 10 rushing touchdowns... once again, out plays Lawrence in the bowl game in a loss... still, he's ranked behind him.

The Big 10 can't decide if they want to play football, so Fields starts a committee with a few other plays in the conference and they make their case. But now, OSU is hit with covid, injuries on offense, they miss over 300 practices, Fields suffers a hand injury in the Northwestern game.

Dabo Swinney says OSU is the 11th best team in the country and everyone tells OSU they dont belong, Fields once again out plays Lawrence even though he takes a brutal shot to the ribs early on.. 6 tds in a beatdown of Clemson..

Now, somehow, his stock is dropping. People are calling him dumb, he can't process, he's just a scrambler, isn't a leader, needs to show toughness. Not only is he behind Lawrence... again, he's behind three other guys.

Trust me, this kid is pissed and will work his butt off.
Share 49ersWebzone