Compete in our 2024 NFL Pick ‘em contest →

There are 185 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by genus49:
Happy Early Birthday!

Mine is on 4/20(I know many people here celebrate it)

I'm combining my wish with yours.

right back at you, brother.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by ritz126:
I'm not feeling the Lance over Fields assessment that some have. Some media analysts I've read put "played with a fullback" (for Lance) as if it's some complicated scheme change that a QB might not be able to handle. Those that knock Mac for playing with excellent WRs also need to knock Lance for playing against defensive backs that blow coverages too often.

"Lance set protections in college". Unless Kyle thinks Fields is too stupid to learn that aspect of the game, that's why the rookie 49er QB will be sitting year 1.

There's only one area that Lance has over Fields and that's the ability to break tackles - something I put very low on the list of criteria for a QB. Then consider that Lance is breaking tackles against defenders that will never sniff an NFL camp tryout.

Between Lance and Fields, the arm strength is comparable, the accuracy is comparable, the mobility is comparable. Fields' experience and pedigree from high school through college puts him head and shoulders above Lance imo. Lance is the guy you select when you want Fields but he's already off the board.

Fields is more pro ready and has much more experience than Lance.

A few things i think Lance has over Fields is pre/post snap reads and decion making. Its very rare you find a qb make so little mistakes and those things are very hard to develop. The lack of reps for Lance is a red flag though i do agree with that

Regarding 'pro ready', many analysts actually claim Lance is more pro ready because he is making audibles at the line and setting protection calls to go along with how he has experience playing from under center. I'm not sure which is actually more pro ready, but because we know that the rookie 49er QB will get to sit one year, I am de-prioritizing the 'pro ready' aspect a bit.

But the argument against that (Lance more pro ready) is that we know Fields can and has performed under the bright lights. He has big game moments and we know he doesn't wilt under that type of pressure. I do not consider the FCS championship game as equal to the FBS championship - it's just not - even if both are championship games. Maybe Lance has no issues with this and would excel in prime time big moments. We don't know. We do know Fields has experienced it before.

I don't know enough about each QB's presnap reads to comment one way or another regarding that topic. We do know that Kyle's offense uses a lot of presnap motion and/or formational alignment (line up a RB/TE out wide) to give the QB presnap clues about the coverage. Any QB the 49ers select will benefit from this.

Another great post.

If we're talking big games I think people need to look at Lance's game this season. It wasn't all terrible but it was arguably his best competition and it was definitely the most stressful game for him given it was going to be his one look for NFL teams this year.

There's a reason all the QB comparisons you see being made list his 2019 numbers. I understand he shouldn't be killed for only playing one game but to me his performance in that game was concerning.

Fields doing what he did vs Clemson and then Bama gives me much more "he's ready to play in the NFL" feel than Lance, even if Lance ran a more pro style offense.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Fields is a pro. Despite the lofty ranking he's always held, and even though he outplayed Lawrence at the Elite 11 camp and won the MVP, he was ranked behind him.

He goes to Georgia and out plays Jake Fromm, but due to politics and Kirby Smart's stubbornness he's stuck on the bench.

He transfers and now has people calling him a quitter, saying he couldn't hack it at Georgia and was too dumb to master the offense.

Sets records at Ohio State, 41 touchdowns 3 picks as a freshman with 10 rushing touchdowns... once again, out plays Lawrence in the bowl game in a loss... still, he's ranked behind him.

[b]The Big 10 can't decide if they want to play football, so Fields starts a committee with a few other plays in the conference and they make their case. [/b]But now, OSU is hit with covid, injuries on offense, they miss over 300 practices, Fields suffers a hand injury in the Northwestern game.

Dabo Swinney says OSU is the 11th best team in the country and everyone tells OSU they dont belong, Fields once again out plays Lawrence even though he takes a brutal shot to the ribs early on.. 6 tds in a beatdown of Clemson..

Now, somehow, his stock is dropping. People are calling him dumb, he can't process, he's just a scrambler, isn't a leader, needs to show toughness. Not only is he behind Lawrence... again, he's behind three other guys.

Trust me, this kid is pissed and will work his butt off.

This really is huge and I can't believe Orlovsky was stupid enough to throw the "he doesn't really care" narrative out there.

Fields literally had the most to lose by football coming back in NCAA with covid. Had there not been football or if he opts out it's pretty much a slam dunk he goes #2 behind Lawrence.

He wanted to play knowing this season could be highly unstable, that he could expose potential flaws in his game which could drop his stock.

This kid loves the game. With that talent he'll be highly successful and I'd love that to happen as a 49er.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Today is Easter Sunday, and my birthday is on Wednesday. All I want is a franchise QB. So please, baby Jesus; NFL Odin; Football gods; whoever is up there, please give us one of the two below, and I'll be eternally thankful.

You will accept your present (Trey Lance) and you will write a thank you card to your Aunt who bought it for you! If not, I'll take it away and you will have to play with your old toys (Jimmy G and Josh Rosen) and wear that nice sweater your grandma knitted for you (Mac Jones).
25 days until Justin Fields is a Niner
Originally posted by genus49:
Another great post.

If we're talking big games I think people need to look at Lance's game this season. It wasn't all terrible but it was arguably his best competition and it was definitely the most stressful game for him given it was going to be his one look for NFL teams this year.

There's a reason all the QB comparisons you see being made list his 2019 numbers. I understand he shouldn't be killed for only playing one game but to me his performance in that game was concerning.

Fields doing what he did vs Clemson and then Bama gives me much more "he's ready to play in the NFL" feel than Lance, even if Lance ran a more pro style offense.

Regarding 'pro ready', many analysts actually claim Lance is more pro ready because he is making audibles at the line and setting protection calls to go along with how he has experience playing from under center. I'm not sure which is actually more pro ready, but because we know that the rookie 49er QB will get to sit one year, I am de-prioritizing the 'pro ready' aspect a bit.

But the argument against that (Lance more pro ready) is that we know Fields can and has performed under the bright lights. He has big game moments and we know he doesn't wilt under that type of pressure. I do not consider the FCS championship game as equal to the FBS championship - it's just not - even if both are championship games. Maybe Lance has no issues with this and would excel in prime time big moments. We don't know. We do know Fields has experienced it before.

I don't know enough about each QB's presnap reads to comment one way or another regarding that topic. We do know that Kyle's offense uses a lot of presnap motion and/or formational alignment (line up a RB/TE out wide) to give the QB presnap clues about the coverage. Any QB the 49ers select will benefit from this.

Even looking at some of Lance's biggest games, he often got things done more with his feet than his arm. In the FCS Championship, ten total pass attempts for less than a hundred yards while he ran 25+ times for over 150 yards. I don't blame him for taking those yards on the ground when they are there but you're still getting a guy that is more accomplished with his feet than his arm.

There's so much that is unknown with him. The talent is real and he has outstanding upside but you can say all the same things about Fields while having a much bigger resume to evaluate from and a guy who consistently had to win with his arm for his team to be able to win period. I think he's shown more that translates overall to NFL success, even if it wasn't playing directly under center.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Or Trey Lance
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Or Trey Lance

Nah I'm all in on Fields
Originally posted by Waterbear:
You will accept your present (Trey Lance) and you will write a thank you card to your Aunt who bought it for you! If not, I'll take it away and you will have to play with your old toys (Jimmy G and Josh Rosen) and wear that nice sweater your grandma knitted for you (Mac Jones).

LOL, I like Trey Lance. I also like Mac Jones, too(not at 3). I just like those guys a wee bit more.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Today is Easter Sunday, and my birthday is on Wednesday. All I want is a franchise QB. So please, baby Jesus; NFL Odin; Football gods; whoever is up there, please give us one of the two below, and I'll be eternally thankful.

Wilson is my number one choice easily, but the fact that can still keep up his touring schedule with One Direction at the same time speaks volumes about his work ethic. 💪

NFLN guy Zierlien updated mock has Fields to Denver at 9 after we got Lance. JF ain't lasting that long if we don't pick him. In fact he had Carolina picking Jones at 8. What's with these so-called draft experts they are complete morons.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
I'm all in all fields. I see Zack Wilson as being right behind him as my choice. Tree lance could be great. But Fields is more accurate, definitely faster, And definitely a more fluid athlete. Trey Lance has the stronger arm. Regardless of the competition of Zach Wilson I think he is a more fluid athlete than all of them. But the competition was stronger with fields. And there's no question to me who is the most accurate out of these three.If we trade all these pics for a fat frat boy who were depending on to make decisions like Brady and Rogers because he's a statue. I will be so pissed
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 4, 2021 at 9:51 PM ]
Originally posted by ninerjok:
NFLN guy Zierlien updated mock has Fields to Denver at 9 after we got Lance. JF ain't lasting that long if we don't pick him. In fact he had Carolina picking Jones at 8. What's with these so-called draft experts they are complete morons.

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Zierlien, his early stuff is all him projecting, closer to the draft he's getting information.
LOL, I like Trey Lance. I also like Mac Jones, too(not at 3). I just like those guys a wee bit more.

This is where I'm at. I think the debate between Mac and Lance would be epic, and extremely difficult.

For me Fields is just on another level, he has an accurate cannon, that's enough for me to be a top 15 QB, then you add the 4.4 speed and elusiveness and I don't understand the debate.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Or Trey Lance

Nah I'm all in on Fields

this
Share 49ersWebzone