LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 123 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Fields is a pro. Despite the lofty ranking he's always held, and even though he outplayed Lawrence at the Elite 11 camp and won the MVP, he was ranked behind him.

He goes to Georgia and out plays Jake Fromm, but due to politics and Kirby Smart's stubbornness he's stuck on the bench.

He transfers and now has people calling him a quitter, saying he couldn't hack it at Georgia and was too dumb to master the offense.

Sets records at Ohio State, 41 touchdowns 3 picks as a freshman with 10 rushing touchdowns... once again, out plays Lawrence in the bowl game in a loss... still, he's ranked behind him.

The Big 10 can't decide if they want to play football, so Fields starts a committee with a few other plays in the conference and they make their case. But now, OSU is hit with covid, injuries on offense, they miss over 300 practices, Fields suffers a hand injury in the Northwestern game.

Dabo Swinney says OSU is the 11th best team in the country and everyone tells OSU they dont belong, Fields once again out plays Lawrence even though he takes a brutal shot to the ribs early on.. 6 tds in a beatdown of Clemson..

Now, somehow, his stock is dropping. People are calling him dumb, he can't process, he's just a scrambler, isn't a leader, needs to show toughness. Not only is he behind Lawrence... again, he's behind three other guys.

Trust me, this kid is pissed and will work his butt off.

Very well said. I can see why people like the skill set of a Wilson, but Fields possesses the best combination of passing ability, resume, and playing big in big moments.

All of this. How can people not see this
Fields is a pro. Despite the lofty ranking he's always held, and even though he outplayed Lawrence at the Elite 11 camp and won the MVP, he was ranked behind him.

He goes to Georgia and out plays Jake Fromm, but due to politics and Kirby Smart's stubbornness he's stuck on the bench.

He transfers and now has people calling him a quitter, saying he couldn't hack it at Georgia and was too dumb to master the offense.

Sets records at Ohio State, 41 touchdowns 3 picks as a freshman with 10 rushing touchdowns... once again, out plays Lawrence in the bowl game in a loss... still, he's ranked behind him.

The Big 10 can't decide if they want to play football, so Fields starts a committee with a few other plays in the conference and they make their case. But now, OSU is hit with covid, injuries on offense, they miss over 300 practices, Fields suffers a hand injury in the Northwestern game.

Dabo Swinney says OSU is the 11th best team in the country and everyone tells OSU they dont belong, Fields once again out plays Lawrence even though he takes a brutal shot to the ribs early on.. 6 tds in a beatdown of Clemson..

Now, somehow, his stock is dropping. People are calling him dumb, he can't process, he's just a scrambler, isn't a leader, needs to show toughness. Not only is he behind Lawrence... again, he's behind three other guys.

Excellent post. I've said this many times, but had Fields stayed at Georgia and Smart actually had the guts to play him over the less talented Fromm, Georgia would have been more of a threat that year and Fields' QB ranking could have been higher being in that offensive system.

Kid is driven. I'm a Mac fan, but with all the talk about Fields or Mac at 3, I'm positive it's lighting an even bigger fire with Fields.
This may have already been posted but nice article related to Fields having work ethic concerns...

"The whole idea that he doesn't have a very good work ethic?" Day told King. "I mean, to me, that's crazy. He got done with the Clemson game [the loss in the college football playoffs in the 2019 season] and he came back and all he did was work to get back to that game. And when those other guys are opting out, what's he do? He petitions to have a season. He put together this petition that the Big Ten athletes all signed saying that they want to play, but they want to play safely and that they don't accept canceling the season. It was all led by Justin Fields. Where was everybody else? Where were the guys who were opting out then? You know, you don't love the game if you're doing something like that. This kid loves the game.

"I heard something about the last one to come in, first one to leave. First off, the scouts weren't in our building all year. Last one in? Every morning, at least every morning we could be in the building, early, he's in with [assistant AD for football sports performance] Mickey Marotti. The guys who were self-motivated and could do things on their own, those were the ones who made it. He was unbelievable. He changed his diet, he got stronger. He did better than most."

more at
https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-day-justin-fields-work-ethic-ohio-state-reckless-comments-orlovsky
Everything about this kid screams baller and not the cocky, I don't need to work on anything cuz I'm so good type.
Originally posted by rathman4481:
I think Fields and Lance are both high level ceilings but Justin is the safer of the two IMO. I think he is more accurate and he also has more on tape.

Lance is more mobile and hasn't really played since 2019. There is so much projection with him. I don't think he really offers anything that Justin can't do.

Yea, I for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would prefer lance to Fields. That makes no sense. I can understand over Jones solely because some prefer physical attributes. Just can't see how anyone would take him over Fields.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

Excellent post. I've said this many times, but had Fields stayed at Georgia and Smart actually had the guts to play him over the less talented Fromm, Georgia would have been more of a threat that year and Fields' QB ranking could have been higher being in that offensive system.

Kid is driven. I'm a Mac fan, but with all the talk about Fields or Mac at 3, I'm positive it's lighting an even bigger fire with Fields.

I felt pretty strongly that Bosa getting injured his last season at OSU was a blessing in disguise for us. I think had he stayed healthy he would've secured himself the top pick even with Murray there. Or perhaps forced another team to trade up to 1 by giving Arizona an offer they couldn't pass up.

i think we may see a similar situation with another Buckeye and this crazy season. Hopefully he has as much impact for us as Nick had...minus the injury of course.

Could have game changers on both sides of the ball from the same school.
Originally posted by genus49:
This may have already been posted but nice article related to Fields having work ethic concerns...

"The whole idea that he doesn't have a very good work ethic?" Day told King. "I mean, to me, that's crazy. He got done with the Clemson game [the loss in the college football playoffs in the 2019 season] and he came back and all he did was work to get back to that game. And when those other guys are opting out, what's he do? He petitions to have a season. He put together this petition that the Big Ten athletes all signed saying that they want to play, but they want to play safely and that they don't accept canceling the season. It was all led by Justin Fields. Where was everybody else? Where were the guys who were opting out then? You know, you don't love the game if you're doing something like that. This kid loves the game.

"I heard something about the last one to come in, first one to leave. First off, the scouts weren't in our building all year. Last one in? Every morning, at least every morning we could be in the building, early, he's in with [assistant AD for football sports performance] Mickey Marotti. The guys who were self-motivated and could do things on their own, those were the ones who made it. He was unbelievable. He changed his diet, he got stronger. He did better than most."

more at
https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-day-justin-fields-work-ethic-ohio-state-reckless-comments-orlovsky
Everything about this kid screams baller and not the cocky, I don't need to work on anything cuz I'm so good type.

Another punch in the gut for Orlovski and his bogus claims. For someone to come out and say s**t about a prospect with no background or straight up truth to it is extremely unethical, especially for a former NFL QB.
Originally posted by genus49:
I felt pretty strongly that Bosa getting injured his last season at OSU was a blessing in disguise for us. I think had he stayed healthy he would've secured himself the top pick even with Murray there. Or perhaps forced another team to trade up to 1 by giving Arizona an offer they couldn't pass up.

i think we may see a similar situation with another Buckeye and this crazy season. Hopefully he has as much impact for us as Nick had...minus the injury of course.

Could have game changers on both sides of the ball from the same school.

Another great point. With all the opt outs and injuries OSU faced last season and the awful offensive line, maybe it was a blessing that their season was cut short. Fields could have gotten seriously hurt behind that o-line for a full season.
Originally posted by krizay:
I think Fields and Lance are both high level ceilings but Justin is the safer of the two IMO. I think he is more accurate and he also has more on tape.

Lance is more mobile and hasn't really played since 2019. There is so much projection with him. I don't think he really offers anything that Justin can't do.

Yea, I for the life of me can't figure out why anyone would prefer lance to Fields. That makes no sense. I can understand over Jones solely because some prefer physical attributes. Just can't see how anyone would take him over Fields.

I think it was the mentality of the #12 pick.

Fields wasn't a realistic option so many fans convinced themselves Lance is better than Fields and we win by not having him.

Now that we moved up and Fields is an option it is hard to erase all the previous convincing that was done.

IMO Lance is a guy you take hoping he becomes like Fields. Lance may turn out better but he has to maximize potential and there are too many unknowns right now.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
what Day said about Fields this weekend.

• On reads and game-plan prep. "He's very, very intelligent. He reminds me a lot of [former Buckeye] Joe Burrow when it comes to that. Tell him something once, and he absorbs it," Day said. Fields' 56-yard TD pass to Chris Olave in the January playoff game came on his fourth read in the progression, and it was thrown 62 yards in the air, to Olave at the Clemson goal line. Over their time together, Day said Fields has become more comfortable telling him what he likes and doesn't like in a game plan.

People have talked for years about how Shanny wants a guy who will exhaust the play before free lancing. Now when it is Fields he " holds the ball too long".

I like the fact that he stuck with it on that play. I have seen other plays where he sticks in the pocket and looks for the throw. My issue is that a lot the times where he sticks in the pocket, he throws it deep, which is the easy out with arm strength. It's so hard to measure these guys in college but it would be nice to see more of the QBs sticking in the pockets and progressing from high to low or left to right as compared to Russell Wilson type of pocket patience and then simply throwing a bomb because he knows he can out throw the coverage where it is incomplete or his guy will chase it down.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
what Day said about Fields this weekend.

• On reads and game-plan prep. "He's very, very intelligent. He reminds me a lot of [former Buckeye] Joe Burrow when it comes to that. Tell him something once, and he absorbs it," Day said. Fields' 56-yard TD pass to Chris Olave in the January playoff game came on his fourth read in the progression, and it was thrown 62 yards in the air, to Olave at the Clemson goal line. Over their time together, Day said Fields has become more comfortable telling him what he likes and doesn't like in a game plan.

People have talked for years about how Shanny wants a guy who will exhaust the play before free lancing. Now when it is Fields he " holds the ball too long".

I like the fact that he stuck with it on that play. I have seen other plays where he sticks in the pocket and looks for the throw. My issue is that a lot the times where he sticks in the pocket, he throws it deep, which is the easy out with arm strength. It's so hard to measure these guys in college but it would be nice to see more of the QBs sticking in the pockets and progressing from high to low or left to right as compared to Russell Wilson type of pocket patience and then simply throwing a bomb because he knows he can out throw the coverage where it is incomplete or his guy will chase it down.

Very tough to find any college system that will give you much of that. It is an unneeded risk at that level where recruiting premium athletes vs your competition means that your rewarded more to lean on athleticism to get the big payoff than take the risk that your kid will screw up and go late across his body or float one a little going late to the flat.

3. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS (VIA MIA) — QB JUSTIN FIELDS, OHIO STATE Unlike New York's decision with the second overall pick, I think there is a "right" selection here, assuming Lawrence and Wilson come off the board with the first two picks.

Fields' game has been put under the microscope over the past several weeks to the point where there are people — including NFL executives — looking for faults that aren't there. Fields earned a 90.0-plus PFF grade in each of the past two years as Ohio State's starter and an 85.0-plus grade in each of the Buckeyes' two playoff games this past season. That production comes along with high-end athletic traits, accuracy and arm talent.

That's the profile of a quarterback that teams should trade multiple first-round picks to move up and secure.

this
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Originally posted by krizay:

I think it was the mentality of the #12 pick.

Fields wasn't a realistic option so many fans convinced themselves Lance is better than Fields and we win by not having him.

Now that we moved up and Fields is an option it is hard to erase all the previous convincing that was done.

IMO Lance is a guy you take hoping he becomes like Fields. Lance may turn out better but he has to maximize potential and there are too many unknowns right now.

I don't have an issue with Lance if he's the guy. The potential is there for sure. I agree with krizay though(that doesn't happen often lol)

I don't get why someone would prefer Lance. Either they're buying into the idea that Lance is some brilliant mind who executed an NFL offense while Fields can't handle a pro style(wrong) or they're completely overlooking his 1 game performance this season and think he's a bigger, Lamar Jackson with better passing ability because they see his rushing numbers.

That's great but once again...look at the competition. Do we really think if Fields went to NDSU he wouldn't be able to execute that offense? That he wouldn't be able to run all over that competition?

Personally that's another checkmark for Fields in my book that with his speed he's hanging in the pocket so much more. I don't want our QB to run a lot. I want him to be similar to Mahomes...kill you with the passing game but when things go bad, buy time and if needed burn you with the legs.

To me the biggest thing Lance has over Fields is experience in an NFL pro style offense. Great...so are we punishing Fields for being a better HS player where he was allowed to play QB? Now sure if he stayed at Georgia he could've been more NFL ready but guys don't get starting jobs at college for various reasons. Nobody in their right mind things Fromm is better than Fields. I have no issue with Justin transferring because he wants to play(check mark in the loves the game column) no different than Burrow transferring to LSU when Haskins was getting the job at OSU.

I hope the little interaction Kyle, and any of our coaches who were around the QB Collective, had with Justin were very favorable and showed a kid who was able to process what the coaches put in front of him and could handle what they have to throw at him at the NFL level.

Once again it could be me talking myself into believing Fields will be the pick but it makes too much sense. Only way I think Kyle passes on him is if there are issues with his decision making and they didn't think the mental part of his game is at the level they feel comfortable with. But I'm confident that's not the case.

...April 29th where are you.

From the Garlic GOAT.

NBC Sports Bay Area 49ers analyst Jeff Garcia hopped on the radio with Greg Papa and John Lund on Friday, and explained why he has become enamored with Justin Fields and what he could do in the 49ers' offense.

"I loved his leadership ability within his team, I loved his focus, he comes from a good family I think football is very important in his life," Garcia said of Fields on KNBR. "He has the want to be better every single day that he steps on the field, it's not just doing it with his athleticism, as much as he wants to prove to people that he is a student of the game, that he has the understanding of how to run a complex offense, that he can make adjustments during a game that are going to benefit the team."

• thl408
Originally posted by AsianJeff:

I thought Fields' social media was all about football? This is a red flag.
Share 49ersWebzone