There are 143 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
" … Justin Fields from Ohio State may be the most physically gifted quarterback," McShay said, transcribed by NESN. "He's got size, speed. He ran a 4.44 in his 40-yard dash at his pro day. He's got the arm. He's accurate when he sees his target. But the problem is — as the team did research on this in the NFL — over 200 throws, 200-plus were to his primary receiver. Only seven were to his secondary receiver. That's what I saw on tape — a guy that has a great scheme and great receivers. The other thing is, he likes to see his receiver come open.

---------------------

Getting the ball to your primary receiver is great if he supposed to be the first read. This stat indicates he looking to throw primarily to one guy, whether or not he is first read in the play. If true, he's not one-read quarterback as some people have suggested, but a go-to-one-guy quarterback. This is even worse, meaning he doesn't read at all.

So dumb

I mean what about 2019? There's plenty of tape showing throwing past his first read AND when he did, he was better than every QB.

OH and something like 66% of all NFL completions are on the 1st read, derp.

what a weird hill to die on for s**t McShay
Originally posted by NYniner85:
" … Justin Fields from Ohio State may be the most physically gifted quarterback," McShay said, transcribed by NESN. "He's got size, speed. He ran a 4.44 in his 40-yard dash at his pro day. He's got the arm. He's accurate when he sees his target. But the problem is — as the team did research on this in the NFL — over 200 throws, 200-plus were to his primary receiver. Only seven were to his secondary receiver. That's what I saw on tape — a guy that has a great scheme and great receivers. The other thing is, he likes to see his receiver come open.

---------------------

Getting the ball to your primary receiver is great if he supposed to be the first read. This stat indicates he looking to throw primarily to one guy, whether or not he is first read in the play. If true, he's not one-read quarterback as some people have suggested, but a go-to-one-guy quarterback. This is even worse, meaning he doesn't read at all.

So dumb

I mean what about 2019? There's plenty of tape showing throwing past his first read AND when he did, he was better than every QB.

That stat is so unfair for Jones. Do you know how hard it is to make a positive play when a screen pass is sniffed out. 😊
  • thl408

---------------------

So dumb

If a QB was reliant on throwing to his first read and was having poor results, then it's a problem. If the results are good, then it's not a problem. When it comes to first read second read stuff, I think the more telling stat is how well does a QB do when he is forced to progress past his first read. This is assuming that the way PFF tallies these stats are accurate.

---------------------

So dumb

We have clearly reached the "throw s**t at the wall" stage of the pre draft commentary

McShay and Orlovsky are gdamn clowns

Plenty of tape on Fields showing reads...the Clemson game alone could be used
I've always assumed McShay and Kiper are working for teams/agents to make players rise or fall and not to actually present facts.
I find it interesting and suspicous Fields is being ignored as having much possibility for us in the media.

The leaks about Shanalynch disagreeing on who to pick is also suspicious....this organization doesn't leak. How the hell would someone know there was a disagreement? And the details of the disagreement being Jones versus Lance. How the **** would someone gain access to this information...

A leak would indicate a purposeful leak. What if Fields is higher on Shanalynch's board than even Wilson - would make sense they wouldn't want Fields associated with us.

So much speculation at this point.
3. JUSTIN FIELDS, OHIO STATE
Biggest pro: Accuracy
There has long been a puzzling divide about Fields' accuracy. While we believe it's his greatest strength, some say it's a flaw. The tape and data, however, back up that he is one of the most accurate quarterback prospects the country has seen over the past few years.

Nearly 56% of his passes over 10-plus yards over the past two years were deemed accurate, trailing only Joe Burrow and Mac Jones for the best in the Power Five. Some of it has to do with the offense he was in and the top-notch route runners around him, but that alone doesn't explain his top-three ranking. Fields pairs this sharp accuracy with legit wheels for a quarterback (the guy can run a 4.4-second 40-yard dash) and a strong arm.

Biggest con: Processing speed
This con is not a permanent one, nor should it be a reason to not draft Fields No. 3 overall. He struggled against defenses that threw blitzes and coverage rotations — specifically, Indiana in 2020 and Clemson in the 2019 College Football Playoff semifinal. Those were the only two instances where Fields saw a blitz combined with a post-snap rotation on more than 10 dropbacks in a game in his college career, and he posted a 48.5 passing grade on such plays in those outings.

On those same plays across the entirety of the 2019 and 2020 seasons, Fields ranks second-to-last among quarterbacks on this list in PFF passing grade. And against blitzes overall, Fields has the longest time to throw among FBS quarterbacks in that span (3.08 seconds).

Still, we've seen far more good than bad from Fields. He's a clear-cut top-three quarterback in the 2021 NFL Draft class and one of the five best prospects PFF has ever evaluated.
Well no more speculation that Jets aren't taking QB.

Let's hope that if they're locked in on Wilson like most think that we take Fields.
McShay and Kiper are the reason I haven't watched the ESPN draft coverage in years.

---------------------

Wow, this is some grade A BS. When you put up the numbers he did, who cares who you throw to, and it's complete BS to suggest he isn't reading.

Plus he's had games without Olave, without Wilson. Ridiculous analysis. Some of it might be a trust issue, however Olave caused the biggest interception he's ever thrown and he still goes to him.

I don't understand what some people want to do to these kids.

---------------------

Its Tod McShay. He used to steal mock drafts and pass them off as his own. I have never put any stock into anything he says.
Originally posted by Ezekiel38:
I find it interesting and suspicous Fields is being ignored as having much possibility for us in the media.

The leaks about Shanalynch disagreeing on who to pick is also suspicious....this organization doesn't leak. How the hell would someone know there was a disagreement? And the details of the disagreement being Jones versus Lance. How the **** would someone gain access to this information...

A leak would indicate a purposeful leak. What if Fields is higher on Shanalynch's board than even Wilson - would make sense they wouldn't want Fields associated with us.

So much speculation at this point.

Certainly plausible. They've been pretty quiet about Fields.
Convince me that Fields isn't going to be a bust like so many other OSU QBs taken early in the draft?

This has to be our guy...now ay we traded up so high for any of the others.

Still hoping we somehow land Wilson.

Guess it's time to take a deep dive into this thread...
Originally posted by GNS1310:
Convince me that Fields isn't going to be a bust like so many other OSU QBs taken early in the draft?

So we are still on this?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by GNS1310:

So we are still on this?

Convince me that Mac Jones isn't going to be a bust like so many Alabama QBs taken.
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Apr 5, 2021 at 3:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone