There are 340 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by roasthawg:
Originally posted by Sourball:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Name the last great Ohio State QB to make it in the pros in the last 30 years.
Johnny Utah?

Honestly brings up a good point of why some of the biggest college programs in alabama and osu don't have any successful qbs coming out. People will say too much talent around them so they don't face any challenges. Yet deshaun Watson came from Clemson which was stacked. But yeah maybe that holds some weight as most of the other great qbs in the league right now came from decent but not amazing college teams. Lamar, Russ, mahomes, etc. Good news for Fields fans is after watching some game film of his that osu line has borderline bad. Definitely not dominant. So he's faced some adversity via pass rush for sure.

I would say name me a QB school... But you can't... Since they don't exist. For every one good QB to make it in the NFL. I can show you 5-10 from that same school that didnt do anything.
[ Edited by Jcool on Apr 9, 2021 at 7:55 PM ]
Hope Fields is the guy , last year they were sending their top evaluator Adam Peters to scout Zach Wilson & Mac Jones , aside from HC I think his opinion is respected by the team could be something there with him going to Fields pro day
[ Edited by Wheelz29 on Apr 9, 2021 at 8:12 PM ]

First you name the last great QB to come out of Texas Tech before Mahomes.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

We're not talking Texas Tech, we're talking Ohio State with more 5 star recruits than anyone but Bama. I checked the list over the last 30 years and if you can name me a top flight QB in the pros that attended Ohio State I say hats off to you.
Scout the player not the school.
We're not talking Texas Tech, we're talking Ohio State with more 5 star recruits than anyone but Bama. I checked the list over the last 30 years and if you can name me a top flight QB in the pros that attended Ohio State I say hats off to you.

What does that have to do with anything? A school can have a lot of very good playe4s without landing the top talent at every single position. You certainly can't look at Ohio State and argue that they've regularly had the best QB talent, which is why the vast majority of them have been late round picks or went undrafted.

What has Notre Dame done at QB in the NFL over the past 30 years? Montana played there and they've done what since?

Great QBs are an aberration. They are extremely rare which is why you always evaluate the player and not the uniform because they can appear anywhere. There is no such thing as a QB U that constantly produces top notch NFL QBs. It doesn't happen.

School history is largely irrelevant, especially when you consider changes in coaching, changes in system and recruiting, you always look at these players as individuals.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Hand to not like the kid.

What does that have to do with anything? A school can have a lot of very good playe4s without landing the top talent at every single position. You certainly can't look at Ohio State and argue that they've regularly had the best QB talent, which is why the vast majority of them have been late round picks or went undrafted.

What has Notre Dame done at QB in the NFL over the past 30 years? Montana played there and they've done what since?

Great QBs are an aberration. They are extremely rare which is why you always evaluate the player and not the uniform because they can appear anywhere. There is no such thing as a QB U that constantly produces top notch NFL QBs. It doesn't happen.

School history is largely irrelevant, especially when you consider changes in coaching, changes in system and recruiting, you always look at these players as individuals.

They are rare because they get drafted by s**t teams. Take a look at the first 3 QBs of every draft that get drafted by the very good teams where they have ample support and don't need to carry the team like in high school. I wonder what that list looks like.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 9, 2021 at 10:11 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
They are rare because they get drafted by s**t teams. Take a look at the first 3 QBs of every draft that get drafted by the very good teams where they have ample support and don't need to carry the team like in high school. I wonder what that list looks like.

That is part of it but the QB's that actually can hack it at the NFL level aren't all that common, the ones that dominate at the NFL level are extremely rare.

Jared Goff couldn't possibly have wound up in any better situation than what he had with McVay but the Rams traded him away because he simply wasn't good enough. The evaluation process is never going to be easy since there are so many variables to consider. There's no place where Blaine Gabbert could have gone and been a legit franchise quarterback. He was a mess in many ways and that didn't get any better in the NFL. Josh Rosen has been put in some bad situations but its unlikely that he's thriving as a starting QB if he winds up with the Patriots or Saints. And then there's absolutely nothing that was going to save JaMarcus Russell.

Damn no nerves and exudes confidence.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Exactly!

Also, a Wyoming QB before Allen, a Purdue QB before Brees, a VT QB before Vick, a Syracuse QB before Mcnabb, a Miami of Ohio QB before Big Ben, a Cal QB before Rodgers, a Wisconsin QB before Wilson, a Miss St QB before Dak, a Louville QB before Lamar, a Georgia QB before Stafford

You can even go next tier and look at Michigan St before Cousins, A and M before Tannehill, and Duke before Jones.

With that logic you would have drafted Leaf over Manning because WSU had just produced Bledsoe and Tennessee hadn't produced anyone.
[ Edited by flynhayn15 on Apr 9, 2021 at 10:53 PM ]
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:

Hand to not like the kid.

Mature beyond his years. You can tell his pops was strict being a former Marine and cop.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Damn no nerves and exudes confidence.

Yup. That's a leader of men type. Completely different personality than that fat clown goofing off at his 2nd pro day in front of his supposedly future bosses
Originally posted by Joecool:

That is part of it but the QB's that actually can hack it at the NFL level aren't all that common, the ones that dominate at the NFL level are extremely rare.

Jared Goff couldn't possibly have wound up in any better situation than what he had with McVay but the Rams traded him away because he simply wasn't good enough. The evaluation process is never going to be easy since there are so many variables to consider. There's no place where Blaine Gabbert could have gone and been a legit franchise quarterback. He was a mess in many ways and that didn't get any better in the NFL. Josh Rosen has been put in some bad situations but its unlikely that he's thriving as a starting QB if he winds up with the Patriots or Saints. And then there's absolutely nothing that was going to save JaMarcus Russell.

This is true that Goff had limitations, but they got to the SB with him. Gurley and Goff worked well together. Look at Trent Dilfer and many other mediocre QBs that made it to and/or won the SB. All 2021 top 5 QBs possess some elite abilities. On a team like the 49ers, all will have success in terms of wins.

this is why we should take the one with the highest ceiling. We can still get to the SB with any of them, but only a few of them have the ability to blow the roof off.
Share 49ersWebzone