There are 251 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I'm not talking about better prospect, my whole thread is about no Ohio State QB making it in the Pros. Top facility, top completion, unlimited top prospects and no standout QB. Is this just chance or do you want to buck the stats and take an OSU QB. The last 5 QB prospects from OU had it all but none made it. I'm just going with the odds. If Coach likes Lance go for it, he can sit for a year with no pressure and learn the game. My feeling is that the Niners have their guy at 3 and that won't change, Mac Jones.

I have no idea who we are going to take and after after a couple of weeks of gbh Internet I am not sure I even know who I want, but to say that because in the past Ohio State quarterbacks were not able to succeed in the NFL therefore this Ohio State quarterback won't succeed is flawed logic. It is the same logic that argued that Rodgers wouldn't succeed because he was a Tedford Quarterback and they never succeeded.
How much of the media narrative pushing Mac Jones to us is also driven by the media trying to drop the stock of Fields?
quick question, is there a breakdown of JUST his bcs championship game?

i'm looking all over youtube and finding some mixed bags, but nothing dedicated to the bcs game vs bama.

i figure a lesser known youtuber probably did it, but I'm not seeing it on search results.
[ Edited by TyCore on Apr 10, 2021 at 9:49 AM ]
I'm not talking about better prospect, my whole thread is about no Ohio State QB making it in the Pros. Top facility, top completion, unlimited top prospects and no standout QB. Is this just chance or do you want to buck the stats and take an OSU QB. The last 5 QB prospects from OU had it all but none made it. I'm just going with the odds. If Coach likes Lance go for it, he can sit for a year with no pressure and learn the game. My feeling is that the Niners have their guy at 3 and that won't change, Mac Jones.

Guess you would of passed on Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson & Lamar Jackson.
Originally posted by TyCore:
quick question, is there a breakdown of JUST his bcs championship game?

i'm looking all over youtube and finding some mixed bags, but nothing dedicated to the bcs game vs bama.

i figure a lesser known youtuber probably did it, but I'm not seeing it on search results.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
This is the dumbest argument to not take Fields. If he stayed at Georgia you'd be okay with it cause they had Stafford? If Joe Burrow stayed at Ohio State you'd be okay with Fields cause Burrow looks good.

The only time you look at the school is if their offense/defense specifically not teaching players skills they will need to translate to the NFL. FSU DEs under Mickey Andrews for example. All the DEs did was tee off on the qb no run responsibility. Same with West Virginia currently and wide receivers. No actual pro route running.

OSU currently has an offense that is highly transferable to the NFL. So other OSU qbs who failed aren't relevant.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Apr 10, 2021 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
Guess you would of passed on Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson & Lamar Jackson.

Look at my post I'm specifically speaking about Ohio State Quarterbacks and none making it in the Pros.

Look at my post I'm specifically speaking about Ohio State Quarterbacks and none making it in the Pros.

His point is none of those schools produced any legit NFL QBs until those guys...
I don't like sandlot football where the explosiveness of an offense relies upon the QB breaking containment of the pass rush long enough so that a burner shakes free downfield and the QB heaves him an 80-yard bomb. People in favor of Fields will argue that he is much more than that, that he's an accurate pocket passer, etc., but I am unconvinced. NFL radio played composite analysis of the top QB picks from multiple commentators and the knock on Fields was pretty consistent, that he holds the ball too long, is too slow to recognize what's happening and pull the trigger on a play. That sounds like a guy in the NFL who'll struggle with the speed and will fall back on his incredible athleticism, which will work for a time, until it doesn't. We've seen this movie before.

If the Niners go mobile, I'd take fields over Lance because of his big time college experience and impressive tools. I don't think he's worthy of the 3 pick. And for the record, I don't think Mac Jones is either. I think the Niners FO got high on their offseason success and overplayed their hand with this trade up without thinking through that the 3-5 QBs have issues. I do think Mac Jones will be a more successful NFL QB than Fields just because it's easier to beat defenses over the long haul with your head rather than your physical tools. If Jones is mentally elite, which is what the consensus commentators say, that can blossom into something effective for a long time. The guys who do it with their athleticism burn brightly early, but end up breaking down quicker and have shorter careers. I fully, fully appreciate those who are not happy about the draft capital we moved to get to the 3 spot, because it doesn't seem like any of the options available justify the move. I think Fields is very attractive Fool's Gold. I will support him if he's the pick. Not looking to piss off his passionate fans, but just being honest.

Yeah so if you think Ohio St. QBs fail then why wouldn't you think all Texas Tech. QB will fail or Because there are no good Wisconsin QBs in the NFL then Russell Wilson should fail. The last Oregon QB in the NFL Marcus Mariota is a backup now so you should pass on Justin Herbert.

Originally posted by Young2Owens:
How much of the media narrative pushing Mac Jones to us is also driven by the media trying to drop the stock of Fields?

Who in the media would have an interest in dropping the stock of Fields? Simms started the Mac Jones as the #3 qb hype before the niners even traded up. He has posted videos detailing why he believes that. I don't think simms is trying to drop fields stock lol. He just believes Mac is the better prospect.

Almost all of the other media scouts have Fields rated higher. If they do have Jones going to the niners they state that it's either because he's a better fit for Shannahans offense or that they disagree with the pick but this is what they're being told the pick is gonna be. There's not much Justin Fields hate in the media. Now Mac Jones is receiving a ton of hate for being mentioned as a possibility at three over Fields.
[ Edited by roasthawg on Apr 10, 2021 at 10:30 AM ]
Originally posted by roasthawg:

Who in the media would have an interest in dropping the stock of Fields? Simms started the Mac Jones as the #3 qb hype before the niners even traded up. He has posted videos detailing why he believes that. I don't think simms is trying to drop fields stock lol. He just believes Mac is the better prospect.

Last year Simms deliberately didn't want to raise the stock of Brandon Aiyuk cause he knew Shanny loved him. But this year he's putting the guy Shanny loves on blast?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by roasthawg:

Last year Simms deliberately didn't want to raise the stock of Brandon Aiyuk cause he knew Shanny loved him. But this year he's putting the guy Shanny loves on blast?

Last year Shannahan supposedly told Simms he loved Aiyuk and asked if people would think he's crazy if he took him at #12 (hint that Shannahan cares what the community thinks about his picks to an extent). Simms didn't evaluate Aiyuk that high on his own. It was Shannahans guy and Shannahans take.

We're being led to believe Simms loves Mac Jones on his own and doesn't know what Kyle thinks but in his opinion thinks Kyle will take him at #3. Totally different scenarios... If we believe what he's saying of course.

Before Justin Herbert, when was the last time an Oregon quarterback looked good in the NFL? I could name you 3 QBs that were top 3 picks in Marcus Mariotta, Joey Harrington, and Akili Smith that didn't do jack sh$t in the NFL before Herbert. Past history doesn't predict future success. I still remember that Aaron Rodgers fell in the draft because none of Jeff Tedford's quarterbacks succeeded at Cal before him and look where AR is at now? C'mon man give the kid a chance.
Share 49ersWebzone