There are 231 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Guess you would of passed on Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson & Lamar Jackson.

Look at my post I'm specifically speaking about Ohio State Quarterbacks and none making it in the Pros.

Before Justin Herbert, when was the last time an Oregon quarterback looked good in the NFL? I could name you 3 QBs that were top 3 picks in Marcus Mariotta, Joey Harrington, and Akili Smith that didn't do jack sh$t in the NFL before Herbert. Past history doesn't predict future success. I still remember that Aaron Rodgers fell in the draft because none of Jeff Tedford's quarterbacks succeeded at Cal before him and look where AR is at now? C'mon man give the kid a chance.

That was the big knock on Rodgers that Tedford qbs bust in the nfl. Up until him they had. I agree, history of the program doesn't show much. Maybe not even history of the head coach.

You can even look at same program same hc with Carson palmer and Matt leinart. Similar college production, way different in the pros.
[ Edited by roasthawg on Apr 10, 2021 at 10:41 AM ]
Originally posted by roasthawg:
That was the big knock on Rodgers that Tedford qbs bust in the nfl. Up until him they had. I agree, history of the program doesn't show much. Maybe not even history of the head coach.

You can even look at same program same hc with Carson palmer and Matt leinart. Similar college production, way different in the pros.

This a career defining move for Kyle Shanahan just like it was for Nolan picking Smith over AR. One wrong move and our team is still searching for a franchise quarterback 16 years later
[ Edited by ImAlwaysRight on Apr 10, 2021 at 10:54 AM ]
Originally posted by TyCore:
quick question, is there a breakdown of JUST his bcs championship game?

i'm looking all over youtube and finding some mixed bags, but nothing dedicated to the bcs game vs bama.

i figure a lesser known youtuber probably did it, but I'm not seeing it on search results.

I scoped that one out, I was hoping for one with a football educated eye to break down the plays and describe what's going on in detail.

This a career defining move for Kyle Shanahan just like it was for Nolan picking Smith over AR. One wrong move and our team is still searching for a franchise quarterback 16 years later

It's not like it was a terrible sixteen years regardless. We went to two Superbowls and almost won both of em. But yeah I definitely agree this is career defining for Shannahan. It's why I think he's gonna draft Fields (he'll be praised for making the move and hailed as a genius if he wins with him).

That said, if he really takes Jones it would go to show his level of belief in the talent there. I'm on board whichever way he goes but I'll put my money on Fields at those +150 odds for sure.
[ Edited by roasthawg on Apr 10, 2021 at 11:00 AM ]

Keep in mind GB put Rodgers though QB School for 3 years. Completely rebuilt him. Do you think that happens in SF or do they throw him out day 1 and hope for the best?

Keep in mind GB put Rodgers though QB School for 3 years. Completely rebuilt him. Do you think that happens in SF or do they throw him out day 1 and hope for the best?

Sure looks like the plan is to sit the rookie for a year behind Jimmy. We'll see though, we should know by draft day. If they don't trade Jimmy then he's gonna play

Sure looks like the plan is to sit the rookie for a year behind Jimmy. We'll see though, we should know by draft day. If they don't trade Jimmy then he's gonna play

The plan is to sit the rookie this year. I was talking the 49ers most likely start Rodgers from day 1 on that terrible 05 team.
Look at my post I'm specifically speaking about Ohio State Quarterbacks and none making it in the Pros.

Outside of Haskins who was the last OSU QB that was actually drafted with the intention of being the starter? You're talking about a bunch of mid round draft picks...also you can't compare Fields who is literally one of the highest recruited players in NCAA history. Burrow started his college career at OSU as well.

never scout the helmet that should be common sense.
Guess you would of passed on Justin Herbert, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Russell Wilson & Lamar Jackson.

Would you have drafted Peyton Manning even though Tennessee didn't produce a QB before or since? If so, couldn't other factors contribute to greatness, besides the college they played at? FYI, Ryan Leaf played at the school that just produced Drew Bledsoe who had made it to the Super Bowl in his 2nd year and was the youngest QB ever to play in the Pro Bowl.
I see Jones ceiling as a less mobile Ryan Tannehill. He might win you a playoff game or two but not the SB. To win the SB you need a transcendent star.
[ Edited by ImAlwaysRight on Apr 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM ]

I see Jones ceiling as a less mobile Ryan Tannehill. He might win you a playoff game or two but not the SB. To win the SB you need a transcendent star.

Transcendent.

Great read

Tannehill has a better arm.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Transcendent.

Only took a MVP like season for Wentz to even get Foles to play in the SB . We ain't looking for Foles or Dilfer. We're already paying an avg system QB $27M
Originally posted by Heroism:
Transcendent.

Of course, you can win a Superbowl with a player of Foles' caliber but to consistently compete for championships i do not digress
Share 49ersWebzone