There are 218 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
He literally says in the comments section of this article that fields IS NOT good at the quick passing game. Which makes up the majority of the Shannahan passing scheme...

Pic is gonna be Mac like it or not.

And outside of bubble screens & RPOs neither was Jones lol.

Fields wasn't asked to throw quick rhythm passes overall...doesn't mean he can't or Kyle wouldn't change things to fit his QB, he did the same thing with Jimmy.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
How can someone throw 67 TDs and only 2 losses in college if he can neither go past the 1st read nor throw quick passes to said 1st read? That would be super impressive. Just imagine what he could do if Shanahan coached him to improve in those areas!

Yeah the article is pretty clear, good stuff overall.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 10, 2021 at 2:32 PM ]
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Great read

Bump

Great read. Thanks for posting.

When I think about Justin Fields letting it rip into clearly defined Shanahan-designed throwing windows & matchups, it makes me tingle inside. And then the keeper element added to the wide zone runs, and the limitless goalline/redzone packages by maximizing the numbers game...

[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 10, 2021 at 2:36 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
When I think about Justin Fields letting it rip into clearly defined Shanahan-designed throwing windows & matchups, it makes me tingle inside. And then the keeper element added to the wide zone runs, and the limitless goalline/redzone packages by maximizing the numbers game...

It's all pretty simple to me. Trading a 3rd and two future 1sts means you are targeting a guy who think is exceedingly rare.

There is a Mac Jones level prospect every year.
He literally says in the comments section of this article that fields IS NOT good at the quick passing game. Which makes up the majority of the Shannahan passing scheme...

Thats bs, Im watching him vs Penn State and hes throwing slants and that quick seam td to his tight end.

I just dont think he was asked to do it at ohio state.

I will say that if he fixes his throwing motion it could elevate his game though, especially in the quick passing scheme.
Originally posted by thl408:

Originally posted by 49ers808:

lol
Great read

Bump

Did you read the whole thing?

he remains one of the best quarterback prospects of recent memory in terms of arm talent, accuracy, and sack-breaking ability. In this way, he is notlike every other quarterback to come out: he is a better blend of accuracy, arm talent, and physical tools. To be concerned with Fields' work through progressions is to be concerned with the way Michael Phelps wears his goggles. The man has somewhere between 10 and 100 gold medals. I'm not looking it up.

All the knocks he brings up are totally coachable traits. You invest in that.

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I don't like sandlot football where the explosiveness of an offense relies upon the QB breaking containment of the pass rush long enough so that a burner shakes free downfield and the QB heaves him an 80-yard bomb. People in favor of Fields will argue that he is much more than that, that he's an accurate pocket passer, etc., but I am unconvinced. NFL radio played composite analysis of the top QB picks from multiple commentators and the knock on Fields was pretty consistent, that he holds the ball too long, is too slow to recognize what's happening and pull the trigger on a play. That sounds like a guy in the NFL who'll struggle with the speed and will fall back on his incredible athleticism, which will work for a time, until it doesn't. We've seen this movie before.

If the Niners go mobile, I'd take fields over Lance because of his big time college experience and impressive tools. I don't think he's worthy of the 3 pick. And for the record, I don't think Mac Jones is either. I think the Niners FO got high on their offseason success and overplayed their hand with this trade up without thinking through that the 3-5 QBs have issues. I do think Mac Jones will be a more successful NFL QB than Fields just because it's easier to beat defenses over the long haul with your head rather than your physical tools. If Jones is mentally elite, which is what the consensus commentators say, that can blossom into something effective for a long time. The guys who do it with their athleticism burn brightly early, but end up breaking down quicker and have shorter careers. I fully, fully appreciate those who are not happy about the draft capital we moved to get to the 3 spot, because it doesn't seem like any of the options available justify the move. I think Fields is very attractive Fool's Gold. I will support him if he's the pick. Not looking to piss off his passionate fans, but just being honest.

This is what happens when people don't do your own research and go with what they hear in the media...

Yeah, right. 1. Why wouldn't you trust the opinions of people who have coached, played and drafted players at the highest level and follow the game for a living over a fan's opinion? 2. What they say on Fields is evident in his clips. He is a little slow getting the ball out and tends to hold it when he's blitzed. Jimmy has this problem too. Fields would be an improvement over Jimmy because he can make more accurate longer throws and escape pressure with his feet. But Jones seems far better getting the ball to the right target on-time, on-target, with the right amount of touch for maximum YAC. Watch Fields' snaps in the national championship game, too much velocity on crossing routes, missing the receiver on screens, or in the Indiana game when they blitzed and confused him every down and he threw three picks. Fields seems more like the style of QB that Al Davis would have loved, driving the ball deep with accuracy. But that's not really the style of Shanahan's offense. I think Jones is the better fit, but Jones is not worth a 3, and might well have been drafted at 12 without mortgaging the future.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

Originally posted by boomer49er:
SIlly argument considering if you take what he said at face value, the only thing keeping him from being good at it is coaching.

What coach thinks he would rather have less talented players because he can't coach the better ones to play in his style?

The realistic ones.

Jones will be the pick, the better fit, and trading to pick 3 to get him was not necessary. They probably made this decision the same night they got drunk with Jed York and were celebrating the Juice re-signing. "I could win a Super Bowl with Mac Jones and we could resign Bosa and Warner," says Shanahan boldly in a moment of liquid courage. "He turns it over less, is more accurate than Jimmy and will cost a whole lot less." Lynch uncorks the Blue Agave tequila and pours three more shots for himself, Shanahan and York. "Then let's go get him!" he proclaims with the confidence of a man just inducted into the Hall of Fame. "What will it take?" "Whatever it takes, it takes" says Shanahan, pounding the table with his fist, searching for the worm at the bottom of the bottle. "You can't overpay to secure the QB position for the next decade."

Fast forward to Mac Jones second Pro Day ... Jones misses open receivers running 3/4 speed in shorts. "I guess you can. I guess you can overpay for a mid-first round prospect" Shanahan utters under his breath, stomach sinking. He takes another sip of his Starbucks coffee. "We should probably kick the tires at least in Columbus," he whispers to Lynch.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Apr 10, 2021 at 5:17 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
I don't like sandlot football where the explosiveness of an offense relies upon the QB breaking containment of the pass rush long enough so that a burner shakes free downfield and the QB heaves him an 80-yard bomb. People in favor of Fields will argue that he is much more than that, that he's an accurate pocket passer, etc., but I am unconvinced. NFL radio played composite analysis of the top QB picks from multiple commentators and the knock on Fields was pretty consistent, that he holds the ball too long, is too slow to recognize what's happening and pull the trigger on a play. That sounds like a guy in the NFL who'll struggle with the speed and will fall back on his incredible athleticism, which will work for a time, until it doesn't. We've seen this movie before.

If the Niners go mobile, I'd take fields over Lance because of his big time college experience and impressive tools. I don't think he's worthy of the 3 pick. And for the record, I don't think Mac Jones is either. I think the Niners FO got high on their offseason success and overplayed their hand with this trade up without thinking through that the 3-5 QBs have issues. I do think Mac Jones will be a more successful NFL QB than Fields just because it's easier to beat defenses over the long haul with your head rather than your physical tools. If Jones is mentally elite, which is what the consensus commentators say, that can blossom into something effective for a long time. The guys who do it with their athleticism burn brightly early, but end up breaking down quicker and have shorter careers. I fully, fully appreciate those who are not happy about the draft capital we moved to get to the 3 spot, because it doesn't seem like any of the options available justify the move. I think Fields is very attractive Fool's Gold. I will support him if he's the pick. Not looking to piss off his passionate fans, but just being honest.

This is what happens when people don't do your own research and go with what they hear in the media...

Yeah, right. 1. Why wouldn't you trust the opinions of people who have coached, played and drafted players at the highest level and follow the game for a living over a fan's opinion? 2. What they say on Fields is evident in his clips. He is a little slow getting the ball out and tends to hold it when he's blitzed. Jimmy has this problem too. Fields would be an improvement over Jimmy because he can make more accurate longer throws and escape pressure with his feet. But Jones seems far better getting the ball to the right target on-time, on-target, with the right amount of touch for maximum YAC. Watch Fields' snaps in the national championship game, too much velocity on crossing routes, missing the receiver on screens, or in the Indiana game when they blitzed and confused him every down and he threw three picks. Fields seems more like the style of QB that Al Davis would have loved, driving the ball deep with accuracy. But that's not really the style of Shanahan's offense. I think Jones is the better fit, but Jones is not worth a 3, and might well have been drafted at 12 without mortgaging the future.

No offense man but it's very obvious you haven't watched the games in detail or even bothered to read up on the guy in this thread.

The so called issues have either been debunked completely or explained in terms of why his weaknesses were what they were and how they can be fixed with proper coaching including our very own HC.

The fact that people think Fields cannot handle a quick strike short/intermediate offense is hilarious. Dude is hitting the low% throws on the regular, puts up accuracy numbers top notch across the board and we think he can't do it in the NFL?

lazy.
Share 49ersWebzone