There are 708 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by NCommand:
I think you're confused. Nobody is going to cry over Fields getting drafted. 90% of the Madden fanbase will be on suicide watch if Mac is taken.

I don't play Madden. I may not be on suicide watch but I will need intensive therapy if Mac Jones is our pick at #3.
Get off my lawn!

Nah, the crusties still loved Steve Young (took 'em a while though). They'll come around.

And young has been a comp of mine for Fields 😉

it's weird those crusties seem to have no issues with Wilson or Lawrence, those two guys run around/play out of the pocket more than fields...buy for whatever reason no problem with them 🤨
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
18 days until the Mac Jones people are crying cause we drafted Justin Fields

I feel like there are maybe a handful of people who legit want Jones. The rest are just thinking he's the pick and don't want to disappoint themselves thinking he won't be.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
18 days until the Mac Jones people are crying cause we drafted Justin Fields

I feel like there are maybe a handful of people who legit want Jones. The rest are just thinking he's the pick and don't want to disappoint themselves thinking he won't be.

this
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Get off my lawn!

Nah, the crusties still loved Steve Young (took 'em a while though). They'll come around.

And young has been a comp of mine for Fields 😉

it's weird those crusties seem to have no issues with Wilson or Lawrence, those two guys run around/play out of the pocket more than fields...buy for whatever reason no problem with them 🤨

Fields has a negative comp to Jimmy G. in that he freezes up and takes sacks, or chucks up ill-advised passes, when pressured. It's apparent on the tape in the games he struggled. His accuracy on the short stuff also isn't the greatest. You can see multiple examples on the tape missing screens or short crossing routes when flustered. He should be a clear improvement over Jimmy because he'll make defenses respect his ability to run, and Fields seems smart about using his running selectively to move the chains. He would add a legitimate deep passing threat that we don't have with Jimmy. He reminds me a little of Cam Newton in his build, strength and speed, but not as flexible and fluid of an athlete as a Mahomes or maybe Steve Young. I could see him being effective in an offense that is built on taking lots of deep shots, like the Steelers with Ben, Marino's Dolphins, or the old Oakland Raiders teams, and keeping people off balance with selective runs. Fields doesn't seem a natural fit for Shanahan's offense, though, so there is a leap of faith there that Shanahan is going to rewrite his playbook to suit Fields talents.
I'm sure this thought has occurred to many others before but it just occurred to me - it seems that Shanahan was willing to lay out a lot for Watson before Watson imploded because of his bad personal life choices, so I don't think the argument that Shanahan is primarily looking for a Cousins/Ryan type of QB is right. Why would he have been so willing to give up so much for Watson if that was the case? Maybe I'm looking at this wrong; if so, in what way is this line of thinking wrong?

I don't have anything against Jones at all - if Shanahan drafts him I think he will probably be at least as good as Jimmy G and a fair chance he could be somewhat better in Shanahan's offense. But I think that Shanahan going after Watson means that he is open to drafting Fields if he is convinced that Fields can get anywhere near Watson's ability as a QB. I actually think that Shanahan will draft Fields - but that could just be me projecting what I want onto Shanahan.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Apr 11, 2021 at 8:51 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I'm sure this thought has occurred to many others before but it just occurred to me - it seems that Shanahan was willing to lay out a lot for Watson before Watson imploded because of his bad personal life choices, so I don't think the argument that Shanahan is primarily looking for a Cousins/Ryan type of QB is right. Why would he have been so willing to give up so much for Watson if that was the case? Maybe I'm looking at this wrong; if so, in what way is this line of thinking wrong?

I don't have anything against Jones at all - if Shanahan drafts him I think he will probably be at least as good as Jimmy G and a fair chance he could be somewhat better in Shanahan's offense. But I think that Shanahan going after Watson means that he is open to drafting Fields if he is convinced that Fields can get anywhere near Watson's ability as a QB. I actually think that Shanahan will draft Fields - but that could just be me projecting what I want onto Shanahan.

Everything Kyle has said lately points to Fields.

question is will his actions match his words?
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Fields has a negative comp to Jimmy G. in that he freezes up and takes sacks, or chucks up ill-advised passes, when pressured. It's apparent on the tape in the games he struggled. His accuracy on the short stuff also isn't the greatest. You can see multiple examples on the tape missing screens or short crossing routes when flustered. He should be a clear improvement over Jimmy because he'll make defenses respect his ability to run, and Fields seems smart about using his running selectively to move the chains. He would add a legitimate deep passing threat that we don't have with Jimmy. He reminds me a little of Cam Newton in his build, strength and speed, but not as flexible and fluid of an athlete as a Mahomes or maybe Steve Young. I could see him being effective in an offense that is built on taking lots of deep shots, like the Steelers with Ben, Marino's Dolphins, or the old Oakland Raiders teams, and keeping people off balance with selective runs. Fields doesn't seem a natural fit for Shanahan's offense, though, so there is a leap of faith there that Shanahan is going to rewrite his playbook to suit Fields talents.

He tailors it based upon the talent on the team and what the QB is good at. Kyle has talked about this. His offense wasn't the same with Ryan vs Jimmy either.

The one thing that's remained true for him and his father is the use of PA/boots along with the WZ. Fields plays under center and works PA/boots. He has run similar pass concepts that we've seen in ATL/DC/SF.

If we're talking about what these QBs were asked to do and ran in college, there's a strong argument that the least likely fits are Lawrence and Jones.

so no I don't agree with your assessment overall
Originally posted by Waterbear:

HA

Funniest damn thing I've ever seen
Just a reminder for people since I still see people making claims that Mac Jones is much better going through his reads than Fields

I think you're confused. Nobody is going to cry over Fields getting drafted. 90% of the Madden fanbase will be on suicide watch if Mac is taken.

I've been around a very long time. Do you think I deserve the label of Madden fan?

I've got a very good track record projecting QB's. I'm in the camp that would hate Jones being picked. For very good reasons. He doesn't have the talent to make it without being perfect everywhere else. He is far from that. He's not the mental giant being painted. He's actually poor after his first read. He's just got one hell of an agent/PR staff.

Mac Jones is far closer to Josh Rosen than he is Drew Brees. It would be a mistake.

Fields isn't perfect. But everything wrong with him can be coached. The issues with Jones cannot be. That's what you look at when drafting in this situation. Along with the players work ethic and character. Also strengths for Fields. Jones are questionable. Maybe they are fine but I can't tell based on his actions.

I think all this debate in the end will be a waste of time. I don't believe Mac is going to be seriously considered for this pick. The media have no information and are just looking for clicks/likes. This will be like everyone thinking Darnold was a lock to the Browns.
Just a reminder for people since I still see people making claims that Mac Jones is much better going through his reads than Fields

Thank you for this
Seems as though the closer we get to the draft the more pundits will backtrack on their confidence in Jones being the pick. No one knows cuz this group doesn't leak without intent.

Kyle and John will be at each prospects 2nd Pro Day which doesn't give any info or insight to their preference.

Fields, Lance, and Jones seem like good kids. I'd like to think this is the year where all 5 top QBs break the trend and they all find success.

Thank you for this

Can we bump this to every page?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Thank you for this

Can we bump this to every page?

Is it possible to add actual number of snaps? It could be that mac Jones had like 8 off schedule plays all season and likes to throw it away.
Share 49ersWebzone