There are 804 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hello, Zone! Been forever.

Had a few minutes to drop in and say hi! Hope all of you are well.

I think the Niners are all-in on Fields. I would be shocked if he is not the selection at 3. Once the Jets seem to lock into Wilson (wouldn't be surprised if Saleh directly related that info to Kyle), the Niners made that move to number 3, and that wouldn't make sense for them to make the selection with Jones. It is such of a massive move for a guy with limited upside. Spectacular moves like this usually point to special talents with gigantic ceilings. My guess is that Kyle has been watching Fields for years waiting for the shot to grab him.

I have been been watching QBs, and this is my ranking:
1. Lawrence- The safest, cleanest prospect. Does NOT have have the highest potential ceiling, but he is good at everything.
2. Fields- There are some things to clean up, but he is a terrific talent with unlimited potential.
3. Wilson- He is spectacular when the pocket is clean. He has special talent. But, he faced so little pressure this year (almost anyone could have posted remarkable numbers with the pass protection we saw at BYU this year) that he is an incomplete prospect to me. The times he faced pressure, he struggled. The guys ranked above him on my board have faced pressure before, and we know what they can do. Wilson is a tremendous talent. I just don't know how he will fare when he has consistent NFL pressure in his face.
4. Lance- Raw as sushi. He needs so much work to do to become an NFL QB. At times, it was painful to watch him. He is so crazy athletic, and moves so well. He is going to run for a million yards. But, his throwing motion needs a ton of work. In fact, it needs a complete overhaul. Accuracy a major issue. I hear he is super intelligent and a hard-worker, but this guy is not going to start a game for 2 years. I'd be shocked if he is the pick at 3. Thinking he might be the pick at 4, where he can be stashed for 2 years under Ryan.
5. Jones- Alabama's play-calling and scheme simply overwhelmed college defenses, and having 6 or more NFL first and second day picks on offense this year made life very easy for him. I just don't see the enormous potential of the first four guys. I think his athleticism is a bit too criticized. He is NOT a statue as some suggest. But, just limited in arm strength, and dynamic play compared to the top four guys limit his ability to be a superstar player in the NFL.

And he has spoken
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I think the Niners are all-in on Fields. I would be shocked if he is not the selection at 3. Once the Jets seem to lock into Wilson (wouldn't be surprised if Saleh directly related that info to Kyle), the Niners made that move to number 3, and that wouldn't make sense for them to make the selection with Jones. It is such of a massive move for a guy with limited upside. Spectacular moves like this usually point to special talents with gigantic ceilings. My guess is that Kyle has been watching Fields for years waiting for the shot to grab him.

1. Lawrence- The safest, cleanest prospect. Does NOT have have the highest potential ceiling, but he is good at everything.
2. Fields- There are some things to clean up, but he is a terrific talent with unlimited potential.
3. Wilson- He is spectacular when the pocket is clean. He has special talent. But, he faced so little pressure this year (almost anyone could have posted remarkable numbers with the pass protection we saw at BYU this year) that he is an incomplete prospect to me. The times he faced pressure, he struggled. The guys ranked above him on my board have faced pressure before, and we know what they can do. Wilson is a tremendous talent. I just don't know how he will fare when he has consistent NFL pressure in his face.
4. Lance- Raw as sushi. He needs so much work to do to become an NFL QB. At times, it was painful to watch him. He is so crazy athletic, and moves so well. He is going to run for a million yards. But, his throwing motion needs a ton of work. In fact, it needs a complete overhaul. Accuracy a major issue. I hear he is super intelligent and a hard-worker, but this guy is not going to start a game for 2 years. I'd be shocked if he is the pick at 3. Thinking he might be the pick at 4, where he can be stashed for 2 years under Ryan.
5. Jones- Alabama's play-calling and scheme simply overwhelmed college defenses, and having 6 or more NFL first and second day picks on offense this year made life very easy for him. I just don't see the enormous potential of the first four guys. I think his athleticism is a bit too criticized. He is NOT a statue as some suggest. But, just limited in arm strength, and dynamic play compared to the top four guys limit his ability to be a superstar player in the NFL.

And he has spoken

Thanks, Mad.

That endorsement carries more weight than any other.

Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Jones isn't that bad, he is younger, cheaper Jimmy. That still has value, we can win games with that if he is able to stay healthy where Jimmy wasn't. I dont really think it was worth the haul we traded to get up here and end up with Jones but if it ends up him we are still in good shape. He just doesnt bring anything to the table that we cant get elsewhere. If we moved Jimmy to get one of those firsts we spent back I would be a little more comfortable. Still disappointed because I think it is clear Fields is the much better prospect, but I would live with it. Especially when we are still winning games and have the money to keep Warner and Bosa etc.

Then I'll take Pitts and Mills in the 2nd if we want "not bad" and Jimmy 2.0.

I would have rather not drafted a QB all together this yr and kept my picks. I would have rather given Dalton $10M if all we want is a system QB.

Jones isn't gonna beat the Allen/PM/Wilson/Rogers of the league.

I really disagree there, next years draft prospects are dire. Jimmy and his injuries are not something we can rely on. If we can beat Wilson and Rogers of the world with Jimmy we can do it with Jones. It isnt ideal, but it is definitely a need that has to be addressed and waiting till next year we could be picking much later from a lot worse choices.

There are actually some really nice prospects in next years draft. The talent isnt better at the top, theres no Lawrence or Fields, but it looks pretty deep to me. And there will be some guys who jump up in rankings like Wilson and Jones this year.

Happens every year.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Wow, I'm super late, but it just hit me that Fields throws the ball exactly like Brandon Crawford or most short stops. They need to start teaching short stops QB mechanics so they stop f**king up our two-sport athlete QBs.

When is comes to Fields I do see throws where he has the elongated motion where the elbow comes up first, before the ball, like in the gif of the shortstop. But I also see throws where the motion is much more compact.

Fields played shortstop and I think being an infielder turned QB allows the QB to make the off platform throws that a shortstop has to be able to make in order to to turn a double play. But it seems like when Fields has time, he will revert to a similar motion as in the gif.

@6:40 of the video is when it mentions how he drops the ball low.

Man, I'd really love to hear Kyle's thoughts on this stuff. I'm sure he'd say something along the lines of as long as the ball gets where it needs to go and on time, it doesn't matter.

But if you look at all his QBs, they all have traditional, old-school loads and releases. Kyle's words and actions often don't align, and that's why I'm super skeptical of everything he says.

Kyle has used the term "natural thrower" on a few occasions. Technique-wise I don't know what that means. There's also no evidence that Kyle knows how to scout a QB when it comes to the little details. I trust him completely with scheme and how to break a defense, but things like mechanics, I don't know what Kyle looks for. I'm thinking Mike Shanahan can help out here.
I view Kyle as more a genius play caller as opposed to a QB coach. He has only had one year in that spot. With that said, I think he can get high level production out of any of the top 5 QBs. In terms of who will be available though, I think Fields maximizes the potential of this offense.

I doubt the top 5 are all capable of high production. History suggests 2 or 3 of them will be below average in the NFL.

I get the history, but we have to do a deeper dive. If we are going off of history alone, then we should've have even traded up for pick #3.

1) Normally, QBs drafted high go to TERRIBLE situations with terrible teams around them. They are expected to be saviors and carry the team for day 1. Shanahan got damn near all-time great production out of Nick Mullens in his first 16 starts. Over 4700 yards and 25 TDs. Even Beathard, for as terrible as he has been, threw for over 3400 and had 18 TDs in his first 12 starts. Surely, Kyle can take a QB with first round talent and do quite well with that pick. Said player will also be in a situation that may be unprecedented. Has a young QB, save for Big Ben gone to a team this talented?

2) Urban Meyer has a great history, winning at every level and winning quickly. However this was all at the college level. With that said, I don't see Lawrence being a flat out bust unless the Jags just blow their picks for the next several years. I think worse case scenario, he will be average.

3) If Zach Wilson goes to the Jets, he starts off with a solid coaching staff in place, and a lot of draft picks in the next two years to improve the talent level of that team. We'll see there.

4) Mac Jones I think goes to New England or Denver. If it's New England, he should be fine. If it's Denver, good luck.

5) Trey Lance- this is the biggest wild card. I would think Carolina takes him, Seems to be a solid staff in place so I think Lance would be in good hands there.

All appear to be hard workers and most will end up in better than usual circumstances.

In our offense, based on history, Kyle should get high production out of any of them. In terms of all 5 teams landing wherever they land, I'm thinking 3 of the 5 will make it.

The odds of all of those coaches even still being with those teams in 3 years in low.

The Jets don't even have an offensive coordinator who has even called plays, and a defensive head coach who won't be much help to him. We saw first hand how that went when Mike Nolan and Singletary were coaching here.

Urban Meyer is trying something he has never done before. Ask Nick Saban how the transition from college to pro is. He's already a guy who has been known to bail when it gets tough, what's going to keep him from having another "medical problem" or just running back to college when some blue blood comes calling?

What's going to happen in New England? You're a rookie with every move being compared to the greatest QB in the free agency era and playing for some of the toughest head coaches in the NFL? That doesn't really sound like a recipe for success.

Denver has been trying highly rated QBs since Manning let, and before, none of them have worked out.

There's no reason to think this year is different. Some of these picks are going to suck.

And yeah, the trade we made is pretty damn risky. We blow the pick and we might well have closed the super bowl window we have right now.

Not saying they will all succeed. But some of the situations are better than normal. The Jets don't have a proven staff, but I'd bet more on success than failure, provided they draft well. With New England, Jones wouldn't equal Brady. I'm just saying I don't think he will bust. Whoever comes here has the smallest chance for reasons I already stated.
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Fields has that early 90s energy. Looking forward to his Niner highlight montages with new jack swing music playing

https://youtu.be/vb3TnUNdSl0

That would be sweet.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
18 days until the Mac Jones people are crying cause we drafted Justin Fields

all 3 of them?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Oh Sh*t! Welcome back! I can't wait for your rankings !

I really think the same. Fields at 3 is so exciting...
And we have the luxury to keep garoppolo two more years, if Fields is not available and help Lance growing.
I dont trust the Wilson hype...tremendous arm and talent, but dont like the frame and the Kapearnick's way he runs when pressure coming

We're not worthy!

Thanks as always MD, would read your stuff over any of the pro's out there.

I've got them in the same order. Went back and forth on Fields Vs Wilson for ages.

I think Lance can do it in one year, he's already started his throwing motion overhaul.

Fantastic!
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

We're not worthy!

Thanks as always MD, would read your stuff over any of the pro's out there.

I've got them in the same order. Went back and forth on Fields Vs Wilson for ages.

I think Lance can do it in one year, he's already started his throwing motion overhaul.

Glad I'm not alone. I think Wilson is tremendous, but no way I can rate him over Fields. I hope the draft goes 1) Lawrence 2) Wilson.
Originally posted by 49ers808:

HA

Always great to hear from you, MD! Everyone here has been anxious to see your rankings—and they were certainly worth the wait!
Share 49ersWebzone