There are 244 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Just placed my wager on fields to be the 3rd overall pick at +250. Feel like that line is gonna start to drop soon.

MGM still has him at +275

Guess he used the wrong service.

Damn. yea I got DraftKings and FanDuel, both 250. Oh well, I'll be happy as hell if we draft fields money aside, I don't mind the slightly less payout.
  • eman
  • Veteran
Alex smith had 9 3/8 inch hands and he was being blames for having tiny hands and causing his fumblitis!
Justin fields barely has over 9 inch hands while Mac Jones has 10 inch.

does that concern anyone ?
Originally posted by eman:
Alex smith had 9 3/8 inch hands and he was being blames for having tiny hands and causing his fumblitis!

No. Does it concern you?
While I am not a fan of the trade by any means what's done is done. My ranking is as follows for the possible qbs available to the 49ers.

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
While I am not a fan of the trade by any means what's done is done. My ranking is as follows for the possible qbs available to the 49ers.

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Thats it. Draft Lance!

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Might as well rank Wilson in there because I think the chances of him being there are better than most admit. There's plenty of opportunity for the Jets to draft somebody else.

That Darnold trade is interesting to me because I don't understand why they do it now. He wasn't going to be expensive and if your going to draft Wilson then why not just hold on to Darnold for another year and let the rookie sit? I'd have a nice hearty laugh if after all this talk the Jets drank the kool-aid and drafted Mac Jones, and thinking he could start right away went ahead and traded Darnold.

So, what do you do it we are at number three, Wilson and Fields are on the board, and Mac is a Jet? That, to me, would be the toughest choice out of any scenario.
[ Edited by boomer49er on Apr 11, 2021 at 8:42 PM ]

Joe burrow was 9 inches on the dot. It doesn't matter

Ps

I'm talking about dong size btw
[ Edited by frenchmov on Apr 11, 2021 at 8:44 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hello, Zone! Been forever.

Had a few minutes to drop in and say hi! Hope all of you are well.

I think the Niners are all-in on Fields. I would be shocked if he is not the selection at 3. Once the Jets seem to lock into Wilson (wouldn't be surprised if Saleh directly related that info to Kyle), the Niners made that move to number 3, and that wouldn't make sense for them to make the selection with Jones. It is such of a massive move for a guy with limited upside. Spectacular moves like this usually point to special talents with gigantic ceilings. My guess is that Kyle has been watching Fields for years waiting for the shot to grab him.

I have been been watching QBs, and this is my ranking:
1. Lawrence- The safest, cleanest prospect. Does NOT have have the highest potential ceiling, but he is good at everything.
2. Fields- There are some things to clean up, but he is a terrific talent with unlimited potential.
3. Wilson- He is spectacular when the pocket is clean. He has special talent. But, he faced so little pressure this year (almost anyone could have posted remarkable numbers with the pass protection we saw at BYU this year) that he is an incomplete prospect to me. The times he faced pressure, he struggled. The guys ranked above him on my board have faced pressure before, and we know what they can do. Wilson is a tremendous talent. I just don't know how he will fare when he has consistent NFL pressure in his face.
4. Lance- Raw as sushi. He needs so much work to do to become an NFL QB. At times, it was painful to watch him. He is so crazy athletic, and moves so well. He is going to run for a million yards. But, his throwing motion needs a ton of work. In fact, it needs a complete overhaul. Accuracy a major issue. I hear he is super intelligent and a hard-worker, but this guy is not going to start a game for 2 years. I'd be shocked if he is the pick at 3. Thinking he might be the pick at 4, where he can be stashed for 2 years under Ryan.
5. Jones- Alabama's play-calling and scheme simply overwhelmed college defenses, and having 6 or more NFL first and second day picks on offense this year made life very easy for him. I just don't see the enormous potential of the first four guys. I think his athleticism is a bit too criticized. He is NOT a statue as some suggest. But, just limited in arm strength, and dynamic play compared to the top four guys limit his ability to be a superstar player in the NFL.

Welcome back! How's the boys hockey going? Don't you live near OSU? Have you more of Fields games than the other guys?
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Joe burrow was 9 inches on the dot. It doesn't matter

Ps

I'm talking about dong size btw

Anybody else remember when Chris Jones' dick flopped out and made him trip while running his 40 at the combine?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Thats it. Draft Lance!

Clever!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

I think the Niners are all-in on Fields. I would be shocked if he is not the selection at 3. Once the Jets seem to lock into Wilson (wouldn't be surprised if Saleh directly related that info to Kyle), the Niners made that move to number 3, and that wouldn't make sense for them to make the selection with Jones. It is such of a massive move for a guy with limited upside. Spectacular moves like this usually point to special talents with gigantic ceilings. My guess is that Kyle has been watching Fields for years waiting for the shot to grab him.

1. Lawrence- The safest, cleanest prospect. Does NOT have have the highest potential ceiling, but he is good at everything.
2. Fields- There are some things to clean up, but he is a terrific talent with unlimited potential.
3. Wilson- He is spectacular when the pocket is clean. He has special talent. But, he faced so little pressure this year (almost anyone could have posted remarkable numbers with the pass protection we saw at BYU this year) that he is an incomplete prospect to me. The times he faced pressure, he struggled. The guys ranked above him on my board have faced pressure before, and we know what they can do. Wilson is a tremendous talent. I just don't know how he will fare when he has consistent NFL pressure in his face.
4. Lance- Raw as sushi. He needs so much work to do to become an NFL QB. At times, it was painful to watch him. He is so crazy athletic, and moves so well. He is going to run for a million yards. But, his throwing motion needs a ton of work. In fact, it needs a complete overhaul. Accuracy a major issue. I hear he is super intelligent and a hard-worker, but this guy is not going to start a game for 2 years. I'd be shocked if he is the pick at 3. Thinking he might be the pick at 4, where he can be stashed for 2 years under Ryan.
5. Jones- Alabama's play-calling and scheme simply overwhelmed college defenses, and having 6 or more NFL first and second day picks on offense this year made life very easy for him. I just don't see the enormous potential of the first four guys. I think his athleticism is a bit too criticized. He is NOT a statue as some suggest. But, just limited in arm strength, and dynamic play compared to the top four guys limit his ability to be a superstar player in the NFL.

And he has spoken

Couldn't have said it better myself. I think top 5 is way too high for such a boom or bust risk like Lance. Jones has one of the higher floors among the top quarterbacks in this class, but isn't perceived as having high upside. I'm not totally convinced he can't be great but I can definitely concede there is no hard evidence he can be the guy who can bring his guys back down by a bunch.

I think it comes down to Jones versus Fields.

If you've got a winner like Jimmy already on the roster, it makes the most sense to shoot for the moon in terms of potential. Fields has the superior physical traits both in arm talent and running with the ball, but I still question how his accuracy under pressure in the NFL will be, based on some of the struggles I witnessed at the college level. None of the guys in this class seemed to deliver as accurate as Jones while taking a shot on the chin. He processes so incredibly well, but he kind of has to since he lacks the level of escapability of Fields. On top of that, people like to talk about Mac Jones' supporting cast, but Fields didn't play with total scrubs -- playing behind future NFL players Wyatt Davis and Josh Myers, along with a strong runner in Trey Sermon. Mac seems like the better pocket passer, but Fields can throw better on the run.

Ultimately, you have to ask yourself, if both are similarly graded, then who gives the offense the most potential and upside? Both players have experience under center and with play action, both throw a great deep ball and can make all the throws at every area of the field, but which one could better capture the Shanahan offensive goal of making the opponent "defend every blade of grass" on the field?

I think the answer has to be Fields. I really like Mac, and I definitely think he will at least be a solid pro, but a dazzling playmaker? That's highly questionable, as he will have to overcome his limited athleticism in an increasingly speed-focused league.

If Fields can reach his comparison to a Watson or Russell Wilson and Jones can reach his comparison to Matt Ryan, you obviously gotta take the former.

The NFC west division has some of the most mobile QB's with rocket launcher arms, and I think Kyle needs to catch up on the arms race in the division. Getting Fields is a big step in the direction of catching up to the competitors in the Division. Fields is bigger and taller than the two midgets and way more mobile than Jimmy and (I think) Stafford too. Kyle can dust off some RGIII plays and if Fields develops his pocket skills a la Mahomes, you have a franchise QB for the next 10+ years.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Viperboy:
Not sure how to post links
some guy at CBS sports mocked

2) Fields Jets
3) Wilson 49ers
19 Jones Washigton

No way Jets pass on Wilson.

My prayer is that all this Mac Jones talk is to make sure the Jets don't draft Fields!

Hey MD! Your ears must have been burning, we were just talking about you, hope all is well! I fully agree with your assessment. I pray Fields is the guy, it is all that makes sense.

Seriously? Fields' potential is unlimited? There is nothing he cannot do? How about the games against Indiana, Northwestern and Alabama where he was struggling with inaccuracy, holding on to the ball, getting sacked, and chucking up Garoppolo-like inexplicable picks that made him look pretty ordinary. There is a reason his stock went down a little this year. I mean, the guy is clearly very talented, but to say his potential is unlimited, to me, is a red flag in the analysis and the same thing we hear every draft from some hot prospect's PR machine. Fields' potential looks similar to Cam Newton's, who was much more heavily hyped and universally hailed as the second coming. Newton's ceiling proved to be pretty darn high and he met a lot of the hype, leading his team to a Super Bowl, but ultimately he was not quite as invincible as the hype and most would have to say his career has been a disappointment with zero Super Bowl titles. Would you say Fields is regarded as a better prospect than Newton when he came out?
Originally posted by boomer49er:

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Might as well rank Wilson in there because I think the chances of him being there are better than most admit. There's plenty of opportunity for the Jets to draft somebody else.

That Darnold trade is interesting to me because I don't understand why they do it now. He wasn't going to be expensive and if your going to draft Wilson then why not just hold on to Darnold for another year and let the rookie sit? I'd have a nice hearty laugh if after all this talk the Jets drank the kool-aid and drafted Mac Jones, and thinking he could start right away went ahead and traded Darnold.

So, what do you do it we are at number three, Wilson and Fields are on the board, and Mac is a Jet? That, to me, would be the toughest choice out of any scenario.
I think you go with wilson although it would be tough to pass on fields. It's a good problem to have. I still think shanahan drafts jones.
Share 49ersWebzone