There are 217 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

I wonder how much the pundits narrative changes after fields 2nd pro day with shanalynch in attendance. The back peddling has already begun, think it will much more.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hello, Zone! Been forever.

Had a few minutes to drop in and say hi! Hope all of you are well.

I think the Niners are all-in on Fields. I would be shocked if he is not the selection at 3. Once the Jets seem to lock into Wilson (wouldn't be surprised if Saleh directly related that info to Kyle), the Niners made that move to number 3, and that wouldn't make sense for them to make the selection with Jones. It is such of a massive move for a guy with limited upside. Spectacular moves like this usually point to special talents with gigantic ceilings. My guess is that Kyle has been watching Fields for years waiting for the shot to grab him.

I have been been watching QBs, and this is my ranking:
1. Lawrence- The safest, cleanest prospect. Does NOT have have the highest potential ceiling, but he is good at everything.
2. Fields- There are some things to clean up, but he is a terrific talent with unlimited potential.
3. Wilson- He is spectacular when the pocket is clean. He has special talent. But, he faced so little pressure this year (almost anyone could have posted remarkable numbers with the pass protection we saw at BYU this year) that he is an incomplete prospect to me. The times he faced pressure, he struggled. The guys ranked above him on my board have faced pressure before, and we know what they can do. Wilson is a tremendous talent. I just don't know how he will fare when he has consistent NFL pressure in his face.
4. Lance- Raw as sushi. He needs so much work to do to become an NFL QB. At times, it was painful to watch him. He is so crazy athletic, and moves so well. He is going to run for a million yards. But, his throwing motion needs a ton of work. In fact, it needs a complete overhaul. Accuracy a major issue. I hear he is super intelligent and a hard-worker, but this guy is not going to start a game for 2 years. I'd be shocked if he is the pick at 3. Thinking he might be the pick at 4, where he can be stashed for 2 years under Ryan.
5. Jones- Alabama's play-calling and scheme simply overwhelmed college defenses, and having 6 or more NFL first and second day picks on offense this year made life very easy for him. I just don't see the enormous potential of the first four guys. I think his athleticism is a bit too criticized. He is NOT a statue as some suggest. But, just limited in arm strength, and dynamic play compared to the top four guys limit his ability to be a superstar player in the NFL.

Seriously? Fields' potential is unlimited? There is nothing he cannot do? How about the games against Indiana, Northwestern and Alabama where he was struggling with inaccuracy, holding on to the ball, getting sacked, and chucking up Garoppolo-like inexplicable picks that made him look pretty ordinary. There is a reason his stock went down a little this year. I mean, the guy is clearly very talented, but to say his potential is unlimited, to me, is a red flag in the analysis and the same thing we hear every draft from some hot prospect's PR machine. Fields' potential looks similar to Cam Newton's, who was much more heavily hyped and universally hailed as the second coming. Newton's ceiling proved to be pretty darn high and he met a lot of the hype, leading his team to a Super Bowl, but ultimately he was not quite as invincible as the hype and most would have to say his career has been a disappointment with zero Super Bowl titles. Would you say Fields is regarded as a better prospect than Newton when he came out?

You are that bothered by the word unlimited in regards to potential? His talent does say unlimited because if he corrects the flaws, there isn't anything he isn't capable of doing. Bad games don't change what he is capable of. Most players never reach that full potential. It doesn't mean it isn't there.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
While I am not a fan of the trade by any means what's done is done. My ranking is as follows for the possible qbs available to the 49ers.

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Might as well rank Wilson in there because I think the chances of him being there are better than most admit. There's plenty of opportunity for the Jets to draft somebody else.

That Darnold trade is interesting to me because I don't understand why they do it now. He wasn't going to be expensive and if your going to draft Wilson then why not just hold on to Darnold for another year and let the rookie sit? I'd have a nice hearty laugh if after all this talk the Jets drank the kool-aid and drafted Mac Jones, and thinking he could start right away went ahead and traded Darnold.

So, what do you do it we are at number three, Wilson and Fields are on the board, and Mac is a Jet? That, to me, would be the toughest choice out of any scenario.
I think you go with wilson although it would be tough to pass on fields. It's a good problem to have. I still think shanahan drafts jones.

I just don't buy that anybody would make that trade to get Mac Jones. Trading up to get Mac Jones is something that you do on draft day and you don't go to #3 to do it.
Which of these teams might take him?

Jags - No
Jets - No
Dolphins - No
Falcons - No
Bengals - No
Eagles - No
Lions - No
Panthers - Maybe

So, to be sure to get Jones all you needed to do was move up to the Eagles spot, which you could probably have done with a 1st and a 3rd, and saved a first in the process. But then again, why even trade up. If you like Jones then why not just make the trade and get Darnold? I don't see Mac as offering anything that you couldn't get for a 2nd round pick to bring in Darnold and use the #12 for a playmaker at WR or Pitts.

This trade just screams that Kyle is going after something big.
While I am not a fan of the trade by any means what's done is done. My ranking is as follows for the possible qbs available to the 49ers.

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Might as well rank Wilson in there because I think the chances of him being there are better than most admit. There's plenty of opportunity for the Jets to draft somebody else.

That Darnold trade is interesting to me because I don't understand why they do it now. He wasn't going to be expensive and if your going to draft Wilson then why not just hold on to Darnold for another year and let the rookie sit? I'd have a nice hearty laugh if after all this talk the Jets drank the kool-aid and drafted Mac Jones, and thinking he could start right away went ahead and traded Darnold.

So, what do you do it we are at number three, Wilson and Fields are on the board, and Mac is a Jet? That, to me, would be the toughest choice out of any scenario.
I think you go with wilson although it would be tough to pass on fields. It's a good problem to have. I still think shanahan drafts jones.

I just don't buy that anybody would make that trade to get Mac Jones. Trading up to get Mac Jones is something that you do on draft day and you don't go to #3 to do it.

Jags - No
Jets - No
Dolphins - No
Falcons - No
Bengals - No
Eagles - No
Lions - No
Panthers - Maybe

So, to be sure to get Jones all you needed to do was move up to the Eagles spot, which you could probably have done with a 1st and a 3rd, and saved a first in the process. But then again, why even trade up. If you like Jones then why not just make the trade and get Darnold? I don't see Mac as offering anything that you couldn't get for a 2nd round pick to bring in Darnold and use the #12 for a playmaker at WR or Pitts.

Darnold is a completely different player. Darnold can move around, has a strong arm and is stupid. Jones processes quickly but is limited physically.
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
I wonder how much the pundits narrative changes after fields 2nd pro day with shanalynch in attendance. The back peddling has already begun, think it will much more.

Adam Schefter has already gone from - shocked if pick is not Mac Jones to they like all 3 and can draft either one of the 3. Lol

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Jags - No
Jets - No
Dolphins - No
Falcons - No
Bengals - No
Eagles - No
Lions - No
Panthers - Maybe

Darnold is a completely different player. Darnold can move around, has a strong arm and is stupid. Jones processes quickly but is limited physically.

I didn't say they were the same. I said Mac doesn't offer you anything more than Darnold does. Darnold is a better QB.

Jones doesn't let you do anything that you can't do with Darnold. Hell, Darnold would probably run the offense better because he can get out on the edge and move the pocket. I wouldn't call him dumb either. He might be too confident in his ability to make a nutty throw, but I think that's better than Jones being way too hesitant to throw it into a tight window.
[ Edited by boomer49er on Apr 11, 2021 at 9:37 PM ]
Originally posted by 4ML:

Adam Schefter has already gone from - shocked if pick is not Mac Jones to they like all 3 and can draft either one of the 3. Lol

I think when he was asked he was just guessing, but it grew legs of him saying that was going to be the pick. Now he's trying to reel that back in by say he really doesn't know what they are planning.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
You are that bothered by the word unlimited in regards to potential? His talent does say unlimited because if he corrects the flaws, there isn't anything he isn't capable of doing. Bad games don't change what he is capable of. Most players never reach that full potential. It doesn't mean it isn't there.

Yes, unlimited is nonsense. It means there is nothing he is not capable of. Godlike, if only he can learn the playbook like the back of his hand, process like IBM's Watson, release the ball with perfect anticipation, make all of the correct audibles ... My issue is that so much of the elusive nature of being a great QB really revolves around what's going on in a guy's mind, but no one can put their finger on what it is, who's truly good at it, whether it's instinctive or learned. It is so hard to evaluate that part of a QB that I think we collectively throw up our hands and just measure the measurable. Height, weight, hand size, throwing velocity, speed, escapability. These are all important pieces also, and Fields is unquestionably superb in these areas. Yet his play hasn't always been superb, suggesting that the mental side of the game -- the more important side, I would submit -- isn't as strong with him as the physical skill, e.g., throwing a laser on target deep down the field. But we know the NFL puts a lot of mental stress on a QB and how they react is huge. Jimmy, as the most current example, has been a big disappointment in this regard. And with Fields, I've been a little underwhelmed by some of the games I've watched when he is put under pressure. He's been pretty spotty. Bad games are an indicator of an underlying problem, and not all of the problems can be ironed out with coaching. If they could be, we'd have 7 Lombardis because both Jimmy and Kaep could get a little choked up and overwhelmed by pressure. I think that is possibly a trait of Fields also, so I scoff at the hyperbole that his potential is unlimited.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Apr 11, 2021 at 10:05 PM ]

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Jags - No
Jets - No
Dolphins - No
Falcons - No
Bengals - No
Eagles - No
Lions - No
Panthers - Maybe

I didn't say they were the same. I said Mac doesn't offer you anything more than Darnold does. Darnold is a better QB.

Jones doesn't let you do anything that you can't do with Darnold. Hell, Darnold would probably run the offense better because he can get out on the edge and move the pocket. I wouldn't call him dumb either. He might be too confident in his ability to make a nutty throw, but I think that's better than Jones being way too hesitant to throw it into a tight window.

No darnold can't. He sucks and is not accurate. At least with jones you get a guy who will run your offense and is accurate. He will maybe get you to the playoffs and be solid nothing great but solid. Darnold will always and forever be a loser.

Yepppp. Matt Miller is probably next ha

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Schefter doesn't know what the hell is going on just like the rest of the so called insiders.

1. Fields
2. Jones
3. Lance

Jags - No
Jets - No
Dolphins - No
Falcons - No
Bengals - No
Eagles - No
Lions - No
Panthers - Maybe

No darnold can't. He sucks and is not accurate. At least with jones you get a guy who will run your offense and is accurate. He will maybe get you to the playoffs and be solid nothing great but solid. Darnold will always and forever be a loser.

Jones isn't very accurate. He completes a lot of passes because his guys are open by a mile and he doesn't attempt many difficult ones. His placement isn't all that good and his completion % is gonna plummet in the NFL. We can look at his most recent pro day throws and see that the balls just aren't that great. The talent at Alabama covered up a lot of his warts and those are going to show up with whoever drafts him.

I'll take Darnold because he has the better arm and is more mobile and I'd be willing to take him making a crazy throw once in a while because he's also going to make some wow plays. Put some legit NFL talent around him and he'll win games.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Consistency is the greatest measurement of success. 💡 pic.twitter.com/ZOm5jazu0C

— QB Collective (@QBCollective) April 12, 2021

I mean what's more likely, our genius Head Coach not remembering anything remarkable about a guy described like that?

Or being ridiculously impressed and keeping it under wraps?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by Heroism:

Consistency is the greatest measurement of success. 💡 pic.twitter.com/ZOm5jazu0C

— QB Collective (@QBCollective) April 12, 2021

I mean what's more likely, our genius Head Coach not remembering anything remarkable about a guy described like that?

Or being ridiculously impressed and keeping it under wraps?

"Mentally, he blew away NFL coaches with his ability to digest schemes and execute complete on-field instructions the first time he heard it."

I wonder who those "NFL coaches" were.....oh I know. Mike and Kyle Shannahan.

I said a few days ago I thought most of the rumors about Fields having trouble processing things were coming from the 49ers to make sure he fell past the Jets. They aren't able to have private workouts this year, so teams can't get him in and see what he can do with stuff like that one-on-one. Kyle is going to be the NFL coach with the best knowledge of what Fields is like on the field and being coached.

yeah! backtracking bigtime!
Share 49ersWebzone