There are 220 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Lawrence has his own issues too. He has some anticipation problems and loves holding onto the ball as well...Him and Jones run a pretty watered down spread offense compared to the other 3.

if it's really health issues only for Jimmy, I don't see how you go for a 6-2 215 non-athletic QB and stick him behind a Shanny built OL who is about speed/movement not anchoring/holding the pocket for a kid like Jones

we will see....I don't see anything different between Jones and Jimmy in SF.

This. The more I watch of Mac, the less I want to see him here. At least with Jimmy, we have proof that he can succeed.

I say pass on Mac.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Lawrence has his own issues too. He has some anticipation problems and loves holding onto the ball as well...Him and Jones run a pretty watered down spread offense compared to the other 3.

if it's really health issues only for Jimmy, I don't see how you go for a 6-2 215 non-athletic QB and stick him behind a Shanny built OL who is about speed/movement not anchoring/holding the pocket for a kid like Jones

This. The more I watch of Mac, the less I want to see him here. At least with Jimmy, we have proof that he can succeed.

I say pass on Mac.

It shouldn't be a pass on Mac situation. It should be a draft a better prospect situation. You pass on players who are graded around the same level but have issues/concerns you aren't comfortable with.

Our grade for Mac better not be anywhere near Fields to even consider him at 3 after that trade.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

I say pass on Mac.

It shouldn't be a pass on Mac situation. It should be a draft a better prospect situation. You pass on players who are graded around the same level but have issues/concerns you aren't comfortable with.

Our grade for Mac better not be anywhere near Fields to even consider him at 3 after that trade.

Yeah, draft a better prospect is right - Mac isn't close to what Fields can offer.

We already know who we are picking at three.

As I said earlier this front office doesn't operate Willy nilly and on a whim. Everything is calculated down to the draft pick worth in capital and down to the practice and play time incentive on these team friendly contracts

We didn't make that move up until AFTER we could confirm NYJ were picking Wilson and thus leaving us Fields. We moved up and gave up three future firsts in beating back multiple teams to pick ahead of ATL and get our guy. We did this move 1 MONTH BEFORE DRAFT DAY!

This is because someone wanted our guy and it ain't Big Mac! It's Fields and in another year's time someone may have wanted Lance that bad but it's Fields

This stuff is right in front of our eyes. Mac could have been attained on draft day. CHEAPER! You know like I know that we don't throw away money nor draft picks without working out the arithmetic
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 12, 2021 at 4:54 AM ]

I say pass on Mac.

Yeah, draft a better prospect is right - Mac isn't close to what Fields can offer.

It took awhile. Glad to see you've come around.
17 long days til we take Fields at 3
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
17 long days til we take Fields at 3

Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Hello, Zone! Been forever.

Had a few minutes to drop in and say hi! Hope all of you are well.

I think the Niners are all-in on Fields. I would be shocked if he is not the selection at 3. Once the Jets seem to lock into Wilson (wouldn't be surprised if Saleh directly related that info to Kyle), the Niners made that move to number 3, and that wouldn't make sense for them to make the selection with Jones. It is such of a massive move for a guy with limited upside. Spectacular moves like this usually point to special talents with gigantic ceilings. My guess is that Kyle has been watching Fields for years waiting for the shot to grab him.

I have been been watching QBs, and this is my ranking:
1. Lawrence- The safest, cleanest prospect. Does NOT have have the highest potential ceiling, but he is good at everything.
2. Fields- There are some things to clean up, but he is a terrific talent with unlimited potential.
3. Wilson- He is spectacular when the pocket is clean. He has special talent. But, he faced so little pressure this year (almost anyone could have posted remarkable numbers with the pass protection we saw at BYU this year) that he is an incomplete prospect to me. The times he faced pressure, he struggled. The guys ranked above him on my board have faced pressure before, and we know what they can do. Wilson is a tremendous talent. I just don't know how he will fare when he has consistent NFL pressure in his face.
4. Lance- Raw as sushi. He needs so much work to do to become an NFL QB. At times, it was painful to watch him. He is so crazy athletic, and moves so well. He is going to run for a million yards. But, his throwing motion needs a ton of work. In fact, it needs a complete overhaul. Accuracy a major issue. I hear he is super intelligent and a hard-worker, but this guy is not going to start a game for 2 years. I'd be shocked if he is the pick at 3. Thinking he might be the pick at 4, where he can be stashed for 2 years under Ryan.
5. Jones- Alabama's play-calling and scheme simply overwhelmed college defenses, and having 6 or more NFL first and second day picks on offense this year made life very easy for him. I just don't see the enormous potential of the first four guys. I think his athleticism is a bit too criticized. He is NOT a statue as some suggest. But, just limited in arm strength, and dynamic play compared to the top four guys limit his ability to be a superstar player in the NFL.

Seriously? Fields' potential is unlimited? There is nothing he cannot do? How about the games against Indiana, Northwestern and Alabama where he was struggling with inaccuracy, holding on to the ball, getting sacked, and chucking up Garoppolo-like inexplicable picks that made him look pretty ordinary. There is a reason his stock went down a little this year. I mean, the guy is clearly very talented, but to say his potential is unlimited, to me, is a red flag in the analysis and the same thing we hear every draft from some hot prospect's PR machine. Fields' potential looks similar to Cam Newton's, who was much more heavily hyped and universally hailed as the second coming. Newton's ceiling proved to be pretty darn high and he met a lot of the hype, leading his team to a Super Bowl, but ultimately he was not quite as invincible as the hype and most would have to say his career has been a disappointment with zero Super Bowl titles. Would you say Fields is regarded as a better prospect than Newton when he came out?

What does the BS in your name stand for?

Talk about getting caught up in hyperbole. Pretty certain MD wasn't saying Fields is the Goku of QBs. However his potential is elite.

He's got a terrific arm, one that can probably get even stronger, more accurate and with a cleaner throwing motion.

He's super athletic. He's highly accurate, great leader, smart and tough.

His stock is down because people similar to you overreact to bad tape from a few games vs tough defenses where he tried to do too much or wasn't developed enough at certain things while playing in a season where their team was put through the ringer due to covid. Per one report 300 practices canceled(not sure if that number is accurate given the amount but that's what was said)

So the potential implies he works to correct the issues that popped up - throwing under pressure, improving blitz recognition and beating it, reading the defense, playing less hero ball, not taking big hits.

Those things are much easier to correct in the NFL than learning how to become more accurate, somehow getting your arm from ok to great, getting more athletic and mobile where you can make big plays with your arm or actually avoid a sack if the OL gets beat.

We have a terrific situation for a young QB. If they want it bad enough, they have a track to success. Everything Fields has shown is he definitely wants it. Which is why Dan Orlovsky's comments earlier were bashed the way they were.

When people are going to argue with you about their definition of a word and what it means to them, the conversation should end there. They are interested in semantics, picking apart how things are being said as opposed to what is being said, and are generally more interested in beating their point of view into you as opposed to having an open and respectful conversation. Reminds me of a lawyer to he frank.

Fields is a fantastic prospect and should be the pick hands down. I pray the Jets take Wilson.
Breer talking about upcoming "pro days"....

I think the second pro days for Justin Fields and Trey Lance are going to be really interesting. I'm told the tentative plan for both is to have the NFL folks there run the throwing sessions, rather than have their respective throwing coaches (John Beck and Quincy Avery) script the workouts. Which is definitely different, and will probably be more useful for the teams there. Fields's is set for Wednesday, and Lance's is a week from Monday. And Fields's workout, at least for right now, is set to be closed to the media (outside of OSU's in-house video people), so teams that want to see it will have to make the trip. As of Sunday, I was told just two teams have committed to being in Columbus—the 49ers … and the Patriots. San Francisco coach Kyle Shanahan and GM John Lynch are expected to lead the Niners' contingent to Ohio State (and North Dakota State too). As for the Patriots, this is subject to change, but I wouldn't be surprised if offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is leading a group there for New England that will likely also max out the three allowable people, under the 2021 pro day rules. And so everyone's clear on this, with private workouts forbidden because of COVID-19 this year, these workouts have to be open to all teams and, as we said, have attendance limited to three people per NFL team. So these aren't private workouts. But with NFL teams calling the on-field shots, and actual attendance sparse, they may wind up having that feel.

This is very interesting because they basically get a real hands on approach with Fields/Lance (vs Jones). This is the closest thing SF can have to a private workout. I like it.
So basically if we pass on fields the Patriots might trade up to atl and draft him.

Absolutely this. Mac is good QB prospect, Fields is a great one, end of story.
Originally posted by rathman4481:
So basically if we pass on fields the Patriots might trade up to atl and draft him.

Yeah and if we pass on Jones, he might drop all the way down to the mid 1st Totally worth 3 1sts

Yeah and if we pass on Jones, he might drop all the way down to the mid 1st Totally worth 3 1sts

Gotta wonder how much money Vegas is gonna walk away with cause so many sheep believed the media. I hope Shefty gets a cut

I dont think he slips that far, but there is a very real chance we could have got him at 10 if that was the guy we wanted all along. If we had stayed pat until draft day and traded up say two spots and Jones was the guy I wouldnt be complaining. I think he could be a good NFL QB, but when we traded this haul, you have to swing for the fences and try for someone who could be a generational player....That is Fields.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Gotta wonder how much money Vegas is gonna walk away with cause so many sheep believed the media. I hope Shefty gets a cut

They aren't fools, they are in the business of making money. Smart bet isnt always the best odds.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Apr 12, 2021 at 6:04 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone