There are 278 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Gotta wonder how much money Vegas is gonna walk away with cause so many sheep believed the media. I hope Shefty gets a cut

Schefty probably put a ton of money on Fields after he got the Mac hype going.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I dont think he slips that far, but there is a very real chance we could have got him at 10 if that was the guy we wanted all along. If we had stayed pat until draft day and traded up say two spots and Jones was the guy I wouldnt be complaining. I think he could be a good NFL QB, but when we traded this haul, you have to swing for the fences and try for someone who could be a generational player....That is Fields.

I see no reason why he couldn't slip that far? I don't buy the Panthers were infatuated with Jones stuff....IF they truthfully loved him that much they could have moved up all the same (which reportedly they were not interested in moving up). Now we have the facts on what went down with Sam and CAR, they were trying to work on a deal for him dating back to Feb. Sounds like all the important heads in CAR liked them some Sam for a while.

I don't see another team in the top 10 that interested in him? Maybe NE moves up but outside of that
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 12, 2021 at 6:19 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I dont think he slips that far, but there is a very real chance we could have got him at 10 if that was the guy we wanted all along. If we had stayed pat until draft day and traded up say two spots and Jones was the guy I wouldnt be complaining. I think he could be a good NFL QB, but when we traded this haul, you have to swing for the fences and try for someone who could be a generational player....That is Fields.

I see no reason why he couldn't slip that far? I don't buy the Panthers were infatuated with Jones stuff....IF they truthfully loved him that much they could have moved up all the same. Now we have the facts on what went down with Sam and CAR, they were trying to work on a deal for him dating back to Feb. Sounds like all the important heads in CAR liked them some Sam for a while.

I don't see another team in the top 10 that interested in him? Maybe NE moves up but outside of that

I could see the Lions, Broncos, Cowboys, Giants, Patriots and WFT all as potential suitors. Now obviously nowhere close to all of them are, but all of them are either legit in need enough or squirrely enough about who they have to make a move for the future beyond this year. That is enough potential landing places and/or teams that would feign interest to force a move that I think it is very likely something happens at or around 10. People need to stop s**tting on the guys they don't want. We cant have any good conversation here because everyone wants to act like the one who isnt their crush sucks.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Apr 12, 2021 at 6:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by genus49:
It shouldn't be a pass on Mac situation. It should be a draft a better prospect situation. You pass on players who are graded around the same level but have issues/concerns you aren't comfortable with.

Our grade for Mac better not be anywhere near Fields to even consider him at 3 after that trade.

We already know who we are picking at three.

As I said earlier this front office doesn't operate Willy nilly and on a whim. Everything is calculated down to the draft pick worth in capital and down to the practice and play time incentive on these team friendly contracts

We didn't make that move up until AFTER we could confirm NYJ were picking Wilson and thus leaving us Fields. We moved up and gave up three future firsts in beating back multiple teams to pick ahead of ATL and get our guy. We did this move 1 MONTH BEFORE DRAFT DAY!

This is because someone wanted our guy and it ain't Big Mac! It's Fields and in another year's time someone may have wanted Lance that bad but it's Fields

This stuff is right in front of our eyes. Mac could have been attained on draft day. CHEAPER! You know like I know that we don't throw away money nor draft picks without working out the arithmetic

Agreed. I'm a Mac supporter, but I have said this since the trade happened. I think this deal was done so far ahead of the draft because they know exactly who they want after being in the same building with the Jets GM and Saleh. It's Fields/Wilson and attending the other pro days is simply doing their homework and create uncertainty around the pick because it's just how they operate with no leaks coming out. Could they surprise us and take Mac? Possibly, but I don't think they jump this high that far ahead of the draft for Mac Jones, even if I personally don't have an issue with them selecting him, even if they'd catch a ton of scrutiny from both the media and fans, until Shanny+Mac shuts them all up. Still, Fields is most likely the guy they are targeting when they completed this aggressive trade.
On the day of the trade, there was a lot of speculation that Salah had indicated that he was on the Fields train, and that Wilson would be there at three. That talk has died down to the point where people say that Wilson to the Jets is a lock, but what if Shanny/Lynch already know they are getting Wilson.
And, lucky for me, like Natastical, I kind of like them all. I think they are all an upgrade, thought I do like "healthy Jimmy." Which he seldom is.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Agreed. I'm a Mac supporter, but I have said this since the trade happened. I think this deal was done so far ahead of the draft because they know exactly who they want after being in the same building with the Jets GM and Saleh. It's Fields/Wilson and attending the other pro days is simply doing their homework and create uncertainty around the pick because it's just how they operate with no leaks coming out. Could they surprise us and take Mac? Possibly, but I don't think they jump this high that far ahead of the draft for Mac Jones, even if I personally don't have an issue with them selecting him, even if they'd catch a ton of scrutiny from both the media and fans, until Shanny+Mac shuts them all up. Still, Fields is most likely the guy they are targeting when they completed this aggressive trade.

Right. Saleh and Shanny know who is getting who BUT it's in both of their best interests to keep it to themselves

Why? Because when teams below you don't know who you want they get desperate and by you keeping that knowledge to yourself you now have the pick and the knowledge of who you want. The teams below you don't so they have to give more for who they think you want others might outbid them for

One club is getting Wilson and the other Fields. Mac will be drafted later. He ain't a bad player but he wasn't too three on anyone's board that I can imagine to the extent Lawrence Wilson and Fields were
Originally posted by Murphys1:
On the day of the trade, there was a lot of speculation that Salah had indicated that he was on the Fields train, and that Wilson would be there at three. That talk has died down to the point where people say that Wilson to the Jets is a lock, but what if Shanny/Lynch already know they are getting Wilson.
And, lucky for me, like Natastical, I kind of like them all. I think they are all an upgrade, thought I do like "healthy Jimmy." Which he seldom is.

We are getting one of Fields or Wilson. It ain't our interest for teams below us to know who we really want right now
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by genus49:
It shouldn't be a pass on Mac situation. It should be a draft a better prospect situation. You pass on players who are graded around the same level but have issues/concerns you aren't comfortable with.

Our grade for Mac better not be anywhere near Fields to even consider him at 3 after that trade.

We already know who we are picking at three.

As I said earlier this front office doesn't operate Willy nilly and on a whim. Everything is calculated down to the draft pick worth in capital and down to the practice and play time incentive on these team friendly contracts

We didn't make that move up until AFTER we could confirm NYJ were picking Wilson and thus leaving us Fields. We moved up and gave up three future firsts in beating back multiple teams to pick ahead of ATL and get our guy. We did this move 1 MONTH BEFORE DRAFT DAY!

This is because someone wanted our guy and it ain't Big Mac! It's Fields and in another year's time someone may have wanted Lance that bad but it's Fields

This stuff is right in front of our eyes. Mac could have been attained on draft day. CHEAPER! You know like I know that we don't throw away money nor draft picks without working out the arithmetic

Agreed. If you look at things logically and follow what Kyle has said recently and done in the past with the results that he received...it points to a guy like Fields.

Major trade up a month prior to the draft with 99% of people thinking top 2 picks are Lawrence/Wilson, and same 99% thinking Mac Jones is QB5
Kyle talking most recently about changing how he views QBs and looks for guys with elite traits, better than 98% of the people out there
Kyle overlooking guys like Mahomes/Watson because of Kirk Cousins then getting Jimmy
Us being interested in Watson, even us kicking the tires on Stafford and Darnold.

You cannot convince me that Kyle's ultimate trade up QB is Mac Jones. Nothing against Mac, I would've been thrilled to have him at 12 but you make that move and you have prospects like Fields and even Lance which you can select and you have to do that. You don't make a move like that for a guy 99% of the people have rated below those guys. I don't care if you think you're smarter than the average HC...we're not talking drafting CJ Beathard in the bottom 3rd round. We're not talking Pettis or Aiyuk.

We're talking jump from 12 to 3 and giving away 2 future first rounders. That's major moves. You cannot be egotistical enough to think you found the code to the next Tom Brady. Cuz to me even a young, cheap Kirk Cousins isn't worth that type of jump.

Guess we'll see what happens soon enough.
Originally posted by Murphys1:

Ahmm what? I don't remember that at all. It was either Jets are taking Fields or Jets aren't taking QB. After they traded Darnold it's been pretty much...Zach Wilson may as well start shopping for homes in NJ.
Just us and the pats st the pro day huh? Gonna be like a private workout. Pats know fields isn't in their wheelhouse unless we pass(we won't) and they can trade up to 4 with atl (also doubtful). Maybe they will be discussing a Jimmy trade with us there so it isn't a wasted trip.

NoBOdy WAnTs HIm

Originally posted by NCommand:
NoBOdy WAnTs HIm

The rest of the NFL is showing who the 49ers are taking

and we won't get to see Kyle smiling when Fields hits a deep post and doesn't overthrow his target
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Apr 12, 2021 at 7:20 AM ]
NoBOdy WAnTs HIm

and we won't get to see Kyle smiling when Fields hits a deep post and doesn't overthrow his target

But nobody knows.
NoBOdy WAnTs HIm

But nobody knows.

Those with common sense have known its Fields for a while
I could see the Lions, Broncos, Cowboys, Giants, Patriots and WFT all as potential suitors. Now obviously nowhere close to all of them are, but all of them are either legit in need enough or squirrely enough about who they have to make a move for the future beyond this year. That is enough potential landing places and/or teams that would feign interest to force a move that I think it is very likely something happens at or around 10. People need to stop s**tting on the guys they don't want. We cant have any good conversation here because everyone wants to act like the one who isnt their crush sucks.

What? The Cowboys & Giants? Not a chance dude. Dallas just gave Dak a billion dollars. Not a chance in NY.

WFT is a mid 1st rd pick. I don't see any team moving up for him outside of NE. The lions aren't drafting him either.

it has nothing to do with s**tting on him...it's being objective about what he is. People don't need to prop him up into something he's not just because SF is connected to him.
Share 49ersWebzone