There are 313 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Interesting caveat at the end. Wasn't even needed.

Almost like, "We already know it's Mac but they'll still take a look at the other two one last time to be safe."

Who's saying that? Did Kyle or John say that? Or is Ian just making s**t up again to build intrigue?

This they've all basically said no one has told us s**t lol...
Apparently only SF and NE will be present at his second pro day.......
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

also for more context Fields was pressured more than Jones with almost half the passing attempts.

This is interesting because I listened to Cossell and he said Wilson wasn't pressure very much this year.

The rating is just that. I don't think it takes into account how often a player is pressured. I could be wrong though.

like I said fields had almost half as many passing attempts as Jones... Wilson had about 70 less attempts.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 12, 2021 at 9:24 AM ]
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Originally posted by genus49:
Agreed. If you look at things logically and follow what Kyle has said recently and done in the past with the results that he received...it points to a guy like Fields.

Major trade up a month prior to the draft with 99% of people thinking top 2 picks are Lawrence/Wilson, and same 99% thinking Mac Jones is QB5
Kyle talking most recently about changing how he views QBs and looks for guys with elite traits, better than 98% of the people out there
Kyle overlooking guys like Mahomes/Watson because of Kirk Cousins then getting Jimmy
Us being interested in Watson, even us kicking the tires on Stafford and Darnold.

You cannot convince me that Kyle's ultimate trade up QB is Mac Jones. Nothing against Mac, I would've been thrilled to have him at 12 but you make that move and you have prospects like Fields and even Lance which you can select and you have to do that. You don't make a move like that for a guy 99% of the people have rated below those guys. I don't care if you think you're smarter than the average HC...we're not talking drafting CJ Beathard in the bottom 3rd round. We're not talking Pettis or Aiyuk.

We're talking jump from 12 to 3 and giving away 2 future first rounders. That's major moves. You cannot be egotistical enough to think you found the code to the next Tom Brady. Cuz to me even a young, cheap Kirk Cousins isn't worth that type of jump.

Guess we'll see what happens soon enough.

I agree with your rationale and think the move up is to take Fields. I just think the hype on Fields is over the top. He struggles a bit when pressured. This aspect of his game to me seems ordinary, not elite. The physical tools seem elite. Kyle will need to revamp his playbook to keep Fields mostly clean for this to succeed IMO. Under pressure he hesitates and holds it, and sometimes just chucks it up like Jimmy. I don't think they gave up all the capital for Mac, though I won't be surprised if Mac is a better pro.

1. What QB is successful when pressured?
1b. The type of offense a QB runs plays a factor in how successful a QB will be when faced with pressure. Option route based offense is not very QB friendly under pressure.

Blitz recognition is something Justin has to work on. This is coachable and something that can be improved with experience, scheme and vets along the OL.

2. Kyle needs to revamp his playbook why? Fields is a better pocket passer than Jimmy. He can sit at first and learn the nuances of the position in the NFL and then can hit the ground throwing. As far as chucking it up like Jimmy? He's got a 7.4 to 1 TD to INT ratio. Yes it's college but you're making the comparison to Jimmy regardless. Jimmy is at 1.9 to 1 TD/INT ratio.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

also for more context Fields was pressured more than Jones with almost half the passing attempts.

This is interesting because I listened to Cossell and he said Wilson wasn't pressure very much this year.

Well it doesn't show pressure amounts, just shows QB grade when pressured.

You could be pressured 5 snaps out of 500. That will still give you a QB grade. Obviously the more pressure snaps, the better idea you get.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Belichik working the Jimmy G angle again.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

yup and maybe they move up to 4..... good stuff.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Interesting caveat at the end. Wasn't even needed.

Almost like, "We already know it's Mac but they'll still take a look at the other two one last time to be safe."

Who's saying that? Did Kyle or John say that? Or is Ian just making s**t up again to build intrigue?

I'm sure what Ian wrote is 100% right. We didn't make that trade up without a clear guy at the top IMO or at the very least top 2 not named Lawrence.

The issue is the media trying to act like it's been Mac Jones when nobody on the 49ers said that. Everyone is simply trying to jump to conclusions because of Kyle's appreciation of Kirk Cousins....who wasn't going to cost us 1 first round pick, let alone 3 of them.
You are that bothered by the word unlimited in regards to potential? His talent does say unlimited because if he corrects the flaws, there isn't anything he isn't capable of doing. Bad games don't change what he is capable of. Most players never reach that full potential. It doesn't mean it isn't there.

Yes, unlimited is nonsense. It means there is nothing he is not capable of. Godlike, if only he can learn the playbook like the back of his hand, process like IBM's Watson, release the ball with perfect anticipation, make all of the correct audibles ... My issue is that so much of the elusive nature of being a great QB really revolves around what's going on in a guy's mind, but no one can put their finger on what it is, who's truly good at it, whether it's instinctive or learned. It is so hard to evaluate that part of a QB that I think we collectively throw up our hands and just measure the measurable. Height, weight, hand size, throwing velocity, speed, escapability. These are all important pieces also, and Fields is unquestionably superb in these areas. Yet his play hasn't always been superb, suggesting that the mental side of the game -- the more important side, I would submit -- isn't as strong with him as the physical skill, e.g., throwing a laser on target deep down the field. But we know the NFL puts a lot of mental stress on a QB and how they react is huge. Jimmy, as the most current example, has been a big disappointment in this regard. And with Fields, I've been a little underwhelmed by some of the games I've watched when he is put under pressure. He's been pretty spotty. Bad games are an indicator of an underlying problem, and not all of the problems can be ironed out with coaching. If they could be, we'd have 7 Lombardis because both Jimmy and Kaep could get a little choked up and overwhelmed by pressure. I think that is possibly a trait of Fields also, so I scoff at the hyperbole that his potential is unlimited.

Now I'm convinced this is a troll account.
You are that bothered by the word unlimited in regards to potential? His talent does say unlimited because if he corrects the flaws, there isn't anything he isn't capable of doing. Bad games don't change what he is capable of. Most players never reach that full potential. It doesn't mean it isn't there.

Yes, unlimited is nonsense. It means there is nothing he is not capable of. Godlike, if only he can learn the playbook like the back of his hand, process like IBM's Watson, release the ball with perfect anticipation, make all of the correct audibles ... My issue is that so much of the elusive nature of being a great QB really revolves around what's going on in a guy's mind, but no one can put their finger on what it is, who's truly good at it, whether it's instinctive or learned. It is so hard to evaluate that part of a QB that I think we collectively throw up our hands and just measure the measurable. Height, weight, hand size, throwing velocity, speed, escapability. These are all important pieces also, and Fields is unquestionably superb in these areas. Yet his play hasn't always been superb, suggesting that the mental side of the game -- the more important side, I would submit -- isn't as strong with him as the physical skill, e.g., throwing a laser on target deep down the field. But we know the NFL puts a lot of mental stress on a QB and how they react is huge. Jimmy, as the most current example, has been a big disappointment in this regard. And with Fields, I've been a little underwhelmed by some of the games I've watched when he is put under pressure. He's been pretty spotty. Bad games are an indicator of an underlying problem, and not all of the problems can be ironed out with coaching. If they could be, we'd have 7 Lombardis because both Jimmy and Kaep could get a little choked up and overwhelmed by pressure. I think that is possibly a trait of Fields also, so I scoff at the hyperbole that his potential is unlimited.

Now I'm convinced this is a troll account.

He did name himself BS. truth in advertising.

As a 49er fan the word "unlimited" will always have a negative connotation now
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Apr 12, 2021 at 9:49 AM ]

Only those two teams?
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10001279-justin-fields-rumors-49ers-patriots-the-only-known-teams-attending-2nd-pro-day

That is very surprising
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This is the talking heads hedging their bets because their "take" was essentially the Chris Simms catalyst.

TIMELINE:
Feb/Mar: 49ers/Dophins/Eagles and potentially other teams working behind the scenes to make a trade (no leaks).
Mar 3rd: Chris Simms releases QB rankings (Wilson, Lawrence, Jones, Mond, Fields, Lance)
Mar 12th: Trey Lance 1st Pro Day
Mar 26th: Zach Wilson Pro Day
Mar 26th: 49ers/Dolphins/Eagles 3-team trade (during Zach Wilson Pro Day, apparently Eagles interested in 3rd pick but only for Wilson)
Mar 29th: Chris Simms - shocked if it's not Jones
Mar 31st: Mac Jones & Justin Field Pro Days (Field's 1st pro day) - JL & KS go to Jones' Pro Day
Apr 6th: Adam Schefter says "Jones will be the pick"
Apr 11th: Adam Schefter and Ian Rapoport cage their initial responses
Apr 14th: Justin Fields 2nd Pro Day (JL & KS will attend)
Apr 19th: Trey Lance 2nd Pro Day (JL & KS will attend)

Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:

Only those two teams?
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10001279-justin-fields-rumors-49ers-patriots-the-only-known-teams-attending-2nd-pro-day

That is very surprising

So far at least, but yes - Jimmy G talk and I am sure. This should make for good content the rest of the week if it ends up only being these two teams lol We know Lynch and Kyle have a good relationship with Belicheck. I am sure there will be information shared in confidence.
So far at least, but yes - Jimmy G talk and I am sure. This should make for good content the rest of the week if it ends up only being these two teams lol We know Lynch and Kyle have a good relationship with Belicheck. I am sure there will be information shared in confidence.

Perhaps it's because Lynch, Kyle and Belicheck were at Mac Jones' Pro Day when Fields had its first. Maybe the other teams in Fields' range saw what they needed.
Share 49ersWebzone