There are 268 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
yeah, but if you seriously considering drafting him/trading up for him - you want to see as much as you can.

Or you don't want people to know you like a prospect that much, same as when Kyle wouldn't go to the pro days prior to the move up....not every team has the 3rd overall pick.

This is essentially a private work out for the 49ers.

Nah, Adam Schefter said the smokescreen is nonsense. Absolutely no need for one at 3. Same with 1 and 2.

Except that there is. You don't want to add to hype with Fields before the draft so that you minimize the chances of the Jets taking him.

There is no reason to not smokescreen, so you do because that's the default state.

Then how does that explain both Shanahan and Lynch them basically a attending pro day workout for Fields.
yeah, but if you seriously considering drafting him/trading up for him - you want to see as much as you can.

Or you don't want people to know you like a prospect that much, same as when Kyle wouldn't go to the pro days prior to the move up....not every team has the 3rd overall pick.

Nah, Adam Schefter said the smokescreen is nonsense. Absolutely no need for one at 3. Same with 1 and 2.

Except that there is. You don't want to add to hype with Fields before the draft so that you minimize the chances of the Jets taking him.

There is no reason to not smokescreen, so you do because that's the default state.

Jets don't give a s**t about us. They're at pick 2. They'll pick whomever they want independent of us. In fact, it sounds like they already have.
Honestly at this point I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets took Fields when it was all said and done. I'd be less shocked to see Jets taking Fields than us drafting Jones.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Well we aren't really doing a smokescreen. We just aren't saying anything. And the media is causing a smokescreen on themselves. It's f**king glorious really

Fair.

Where I disagree is that I don't buy that we aren't settled on a QB yet. I think we have been since the trade and it's always been Fields with Wilson as the safety choice if he's gone.

Well we aren't really doing a smokescreen. We just aren't saying anything. And the media is causing a smokescreen on themselves. It's f**king glorious really

Fair.

Where I disagree is that I don't buy that we aren't settled on a QB yet. I think we have been since the trade and it's always been Fields with Wilson as the safety choice if he's gone.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can watch the body of work from Fields and Jones and honestly say Jones looks better.

Fair.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can watch the body of work from Fields and Jones and honestly say Jones looks better.

Nobody can, but there are a lot of dishonest people in the world. It's shameful that Jones is in the discussion for the pick at #3 at all.

Jets don't give a s**t about us. They're at pick 2. They'll pick whomever they want independent of us. In fact, it sounds like they already have.

They might not be we sure give a s**t about them. There's no reason to telegraph who we want considering they want to run the same offense and might just decide that if Fields is who we want maybe they should want him too. There's a benefit to lying, there is no benefit to telling the truth.
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

Fair.

Nobody can, but there are a lot of dishonest people in the world. It's shameful that Jones is in the discussion for the pick at #3 at all.

Agreed. This seems completely media derived to pump up Mac to hopefully influence the organization they feel he'd be best at to further pushing the narratives of finding another Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. No question going to SF would be best for Mac, but Mac is not the best for SF.

They might not be we sure give a s**t about them. There's no reason to telegraph who we want considering they want to run the same offense and might just decide that if Fields is who we want maybe they should want him too. There's a benefit to lying, there is no benefit to telling the truth.

Again, Jets don't care about us. We get their sloppy seconds.

Then how does that explain both Shanahan and Lynch them basically a attending pro day workout for Fields.

Because they're going to all of them now.

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

Well we have Gordon f**kin Ramsey cookin in our kitchen and they have some waiter who worked in Gordon's restaurant running their kitchen.

And there's no reason to tell them which one we think is better
Originally posted by genus49:
1. What QB is successful when pressured?
1b. The type of offense a QB runs plays a factor in how successful a QB will be when faced with pressure. Option route based offense is not very QB friendly under pressure.

Blitz recognition is something Justin has to work on. This is coachable and something that can be improved with experience, scheme and vets along the OL.

2. Kyle needs to revamp his playbook why? Fields is a better pocket passer than Jimmy. He can sit at first and learn the nuances of the position in the NFL and then can hit the ground throwing. As far as chucking it up like Jimmy? He's got a 7.4 to 1 TD to INT ratio. Yes it's college but you're making the comparison to Jimmy regardless. Jimmy is at 1.9 to 1 TD/INT ratio.

1. It's a rare combination of skill to cope with NFL pressure and why we see so few elites. That explains why going all-in to draft QBs has a dubious track record. We don't really know until these players feel the heat in the NFL, make snap decisions (or not), and their fight or flight reactions kick in and get magnified. On two plays in the Indiana game I see Fields pressured, frustrated, and simply chuck the ball up for grabs. Indiana blitzed him a lot, so maybe to your point that's where he needs work on anticipating that pressure. Doesn't seem easy to coach, though, because in that moment under duress thinking goes out the window and reactions takes over.

2. Revamping the playbook comment relates to the style of offense Shanahan has been running in SF. Fields strengths seem to be throwing the deep ball, throwing the deep out, and running. He is impressive when he does these things, but it doesn't remind me of our offense. And by all accounts, Shanahan is a big fan of his own offense rather than tailoring things to suit other skill sets. To give Fields the liberty to do what he does best ... throwing deep with a mix of running, and going off script on occasion ala Mahomes, this style seems to require Shanahan to change his offense to being more vertical and big chunk type stuff. Shanahan has said he may need to change his thinking on QB talents, which does point to Fields or Lance.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Apr 12, 2021 at 12:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

I don't buy for a second that they made the biggest draft trade in a decade just so that they could evaluate the QBs and then decide.
Share 49ersWebzone