There are 192 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by NCommand:
Again, Jets don't care about us. We get their sloppy seconds.

That's what you think. There's a pretty good chance they are extremely interested in Kyle's favorite qb. It is only his system they will be running...
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
yeah, but if you seriously considering drafting him/trading up for him - you want to see as much as you can.

Or you don't want people to know you like a prospect that much, same as when Kyle wouldn't go to the pro days prior to the move up....not every team has the 3rd overall pick.

This is essentially a private work out for the 49ers.

Nah, Adam Schefter said the smokescreen is nonsense. Absolutely no need for one at 3. Same with 1 and 2.

Except that there is. You don't want to add to hype with Fields before the draft so that you minimize the chances of the Jets taking him.

There is no reason to not smokescreen, so you do because that's the default state.

Jets don't give a s**t about us. They're at pick 2. They'll pick whomever they want independent of us. In fact, it sounds like they already have.

Agree, Saleh and company already have their #2 penciled in and are doing their due diligence as are the guys that pick #3 and later.

I'd be very happy if Trevor or Zack falls to #3 but there's only a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
yeah, but if you seriously considering drafting him/trading up for him - you want to see as much as you can.

Or you don't want people to know you like a prospect that much, same as when Kyle wouldn't go to the pro days prior to the move up....not every team has the 3rd overall pick.

This is essentially a private work out for the 49ers.

Nah, Adam Schefter said the smokescreen is nonsense. Absolutely no need for one at 3. Same with 1 and 2.

Except that there is. You don't want to add to hype with Fields before the draft so that you minimize the chances of the Jets taking him.

There is no reason to not smokescreen, so you do because that's the default state.

Jets don't give a s**t about us. They're at pick 2. They'll pick whomever they want independent of us. In fact, it sounds like they already have.

They might not be we sure give a s**t about them. There's no reason to telegraph who we want considering they want to run the same offense and might just decide that if Fields is who we want maybe they should want him too. There's a benefit to lying, there is no benefit to telling the truth.

And there's no reason to tell them which one we think is better

lol this - especially when they are from the Shanahan's tree. How do ppl don't see that?!? lol it's so basic.

I think Niners are just staying quiet and everyone in the media is just repeating what Chris Simms thinks Niners will do - and he prefaced it by saying he doesn't have any insider knowledge - he just thinks that's what Shanahan will want.

Also, why you want to tell everyone what you will do. Everyone is your competitor. Why you want to let them plan their moves 20 days in advance? You want to give them as little time as possible to know who is available at 4 and later picks.
[ Edited by 4ML on Apr 12, 2021 at 12:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

I don't buy for a second that they made the biggest draft trade in a decade just so that they could evaluate the QBs and then decide.

They already said there were three QBs they were comfortable with. Of course they had someone in mind when they moved up to 3.

I also believe they understand this is the most important decision they've had to make and the wrong one will cost them their jobs and set the franchise back so their still doing their due diligence on everyone.

Both can be true.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Well we aren't really doing a smokescreen. We just aren't saying anything. And the media is causing a smokescreen on themselves. It's f**king glorious really

Fair.

Where I disagree is that I don't buy that we aren't settled on a QB yet. I think we have been since the trade and it's always been Fields with Wilson as the safety choice if he's gone.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can watch the body of work from Fields and Jones and honestly say Jones looks better.

All of this...

You don't make a trade of caliber and THEN evaluate QBs. And there's no f*cking way in hell we felt there were 5 QBs worthy of pick #3.

It's always been Lawrence and Fields at the top as the elite talents/prospects. Wilson had a big season and climbed up the ranks due to his terrific season.

To me I'd go with Justin's consistency despite the adversity he's experienced in his career. IMO it gives you a better look into how he responds to stuff he's more likely to see in the NFL.

However Wilson is clearly talented and his arm talent is fun to watch. Natural assumption with him is if he keeps growing like he did from 2019 to 2020...he should be very impressive.

Knowing we get either Fields or Wilson makes me pretty happy. Having Mac Jones in the conversation scares the sh*t out of me. I just can't find one thing about Jones which he does clearly better than Fields to the point where it overrides everything else Fields does at the same level or better than Jones.
LOL. Finally, an honest Fields homer.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

Agree and the media does it for its typical reasons-- it generates ratings and clicks. Kyle brought in a undrafted free agent in 2020, and he was a mobile QB in the style of a Mahomes. UDFA Brock Rutter was cut, I think, even before training camp started. I was really disappointed that Kyle didn't even allow him to compete in training camp. That to me is a much more recent past indication of where he is with Feilds, Lance, and Mac. Unfortunately that data point indicates a Mac pick in my opinion. Which is a disappointment to say the least.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Agree and the media does it for its typical reasons-- it generates ratings and clicks. Kyle brought in a undrafted free agent in 2020, and he was a mobile QB in the style of a Mahomes. UDFA Brock Rutter was cut, I think, even before training camp started. I was really disappointed that Kyle didn't even allow him to compete in training camp. That to me is a much more recent past indication of where he is with Feilds, Lance, and Mac. Unfortunately that data point indicates a Mac pick in my opinion. Which is a disappointment to say the least.

The contrarian data point is he liked a guy in CJ Beathard who was more athletic than a myriad of pocket passers that the analysts thought were better after the 1st in 2017. If he was only about pocket passing we would've drafted Nathan Peterman or Brad Kaaya.
Originally posted by ninerFate:
NoBOdy WAnTs HIm

Because 31 of the teams already saw him...this is basically a private workout and Breer's talked about it on DP show this AM

I'd also imagine this points to those teams knowing where Fields will likely go at #3 with only the Pats being the other team there.
Belichick is gonna go there so he can keep saying "yeah he's pro ready no need for him to sit a year" so we will trade Jimmy to him.

LOL

Well we aren't really doing a smokescreen. We just aren't saying anything. And the media is causing a smokescreen on themselves. It's f**king glorious really

Fair.

Where I disagree is that I don't buy that we aren't settled on a QB yet. I think we have been since the trade and it's always been Fields with Wilson as the safety choice if he's gone.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can watch the body of work from Fields and Jones and honestly say Jones looks better.

I can say the same about Lance as those say about Jones. Which makes Justin Fields a no brainer pick at #3 at this point.

Not keeping an UDFA who doesn't know the offense in a Covid-restricted offseason (when you have 4 other QBs that do) doesn't really indicate anything at all about the direction they're headed with the #3 pick in this draft.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

The contrarian data point is he liked a guy in CJ Beathard who was more athletic than a myriad of pocket passers that the analysts thought were better after the 1st in 2017. If he was only about pocket passing we would've drafted Nathan Peterman or Brad Kaaya.

Well I hope he's changed. I really think Fields ceiling is a Steve Young comp. Even Montana was pretty mobile for a 3rd round pick. A QBs athleticism forces defenses to do contain type rushes vs exotic type blitzes and stunts. In that way a QBs athleticism helps in the pocket passing game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

Not keeping an UDFA who doesn't know the offense in a Covid-restricted offseason (when you have 4 other QBs that do) doesn't really indicate anything at all about the direction they're headed with the #3 pick in this draft.

Well that's true of any UDFA, they don't know the offense. My hope was Kyle wanted to inject some athleticism into the QB position in 2020, but he declined. I really was bummed out about that. I was hoping Kyle would let Brock go to the practice squad and he didn't even do that. Bummer.
Originally posted by genus49:

Fair.

All of this...

You don't make a trade of caliber and THEN evaluate QBs. And there's no f*cking way in hell we felt there were 5 QBs worthy of pick #3.

It's always been Lawrence and Fields at the top as the elite talents/prospects. Wilson had a big season and climbed up the ranks due to his terrific season.

To me I'd go with Justin's consistency despite the adversity he's experienced in his career. IMO it gives you a better look into how he responds to stuff he's more likely to see in the NFL.

However Wilson is clearly talented and his arm talent is fun to watch. Natural assumption with him is if he keeps growing like he did from 2019 to 2020...he should be very impressive.

Knowing we get either Fields or Wilson makes me pretty happy. Having Mac Jones in the conversation scares the sh*t out of me. I just can't find one thing about Jones which he does clearly better than Fields to the point where it overrides everything else Fields does at the same level or better than Jones.

There is a situation where it might have happen. If you intended to draft QB A before making the trade, and were targeting 5th pick but got no trade partners, and you were forced to keeping moving up until you found a partner. Then you suddenly realized you are options have expanded, you can "evaluate" the others you probably were not expecting to get at 5.

My goodness Giedi, did you just use the cutting of Brock Rutter as indication Mac Jones will be selected #3 overall with the team giving away 2 future firsts and a 3rd round pick?

Share 49ersWebzone