There are 199 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Again, Jets don't care about us. We get their sloppy seconds.

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

Agree and the media does it for its typical reasons-- it generates ratings and clicks. Kyle brought in a undrafted free agent in 2020, and he was a mobile QB in the style of a Mahomes. UDFA Brock Rutter was cut, I think, even before training camp started. I was really disappointed that Kyle didn't even allow him to compete in training camp. That to me is a much more recent past indication of where he is with Feilds, Lance, and Mac. Unfortunately that data point indicates a Mac pick in my opinion. Which is a disappointment to say the least.

My goodness Giedi, did you just use the cutting of Brock Rutter as indication Mac Jones will be selected #3 overall with the team giving away 2 future firsts and a 3rd round pick?

Who da s**t is Brock Rutter? lol Last I checked they have Josh Johnson as their "athletic" QB.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Except that there is. You don't want to add to hype with Fields before the draft so that you minimize the chances of the Jets taking him.

There is no reason to not smokescreen, so you do because that's the default state.

Well we aren't really doing a smokescreen. We just aren't saying anything. And the media is causing a smokescreen on themselves. It's f**king glorious really

Fair.

Where I disagree is that I don't buy that we aren't settled on a QB yet. I think we have been since the trade and it's always been Fields with Wilson as the safety choice if he's gone.

Agreed. I don't think anyone can watch the body of work from Fields and Jones and honestly say Jones looks better.

All of this...

You don't make a trade of caliber and THEN evaluate QBs. And there's no f*cking way in hell we felt there were 5 QBs worthy of pick #3.

It's always been Lawrence and Fields at the top as the elite talents/prospects. Wilson had a big season and climbed up the ranks due to his terrific season.

To me I'd go with Justin's consistency despite the adversity he's experienced in his career. IMO it gives you a better look into how he responds to stuff he's more likely to see in the NFL.

However Wilson is clearly talented and his arm talent is fun to watch. Natural assumption with him is if he keeps growing like he did from 2019 to 2020...he should be very impressive.

Knowing we get either Fields or Wilson makes me pretty happy. Having Mac Jones in the conversation scares the sh*t out of me. I just can't find one thing about Jones which he does clearly better than Fields to the point where it overrides everything else Fields does at the same level or better than Jones.

There is a situation where it might have happen. If you intended to draft QB A before making the trade, and were targeting 5th pick but got no trade partners, and you were forced to keeping moving up until you found a partner. Then you suddenly realized you are options have expanded, you can "evaluate" the others you probably were not expecting to get at 5.

I feel like you can't properly make that type of move without evaluating all of the QBs first.

Sure there is a feel out process and you try to get any info until last minute(another reason not to tip your pick, in case you dig something bad up about the guy you reveal is your target)

But I think when you make a move like that, you know your board and you feel pretty comfortable with the group.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-talks-49ers-trading-down-prior-to-deal-with-miami-dolphins

Bengals are drafting 5th. If this is was the 49ers original targeted draft position to trade up to, it could only mean Jones or possibly Lance to begin with. But that could all change now they were able to trade to 3.
[ Edited by ComeOnDeberg on Apr 12, 2021 at 12:52 PM ]
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-talks-49ers-trading-down-prior-to-deal-with-miami-dolphins

Bengals are drafting 5th. If this is was the 49ers original targeted draft position to trade up to, it could only mean Jones or possibly Lance to begin with. But that could all change now they were able to trade to 3.

That's not true. They could have assumed that neither Atlanta nor the Dolphins were going to take a QB.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Apr 12, 2021 at 12:54 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

Agree and the media does it for its typical reasons-- it generates ratings and clicks. Kyle brought in a undrafted free agent in 2020, and he was a mobile QB in the style of a Mahomes. UDFA Brock Rutter was cut, I think, even before training camp started. I was really disappointed that Kyle didn't even allow him to compete in training camp. That to me is a much more recent past indication of where he is with Feilds, Lance, and Mac. Unfortunately that data point indicates a Mac pick in my opinion. Which is a disappointment to say the least.

My goodness Giedi, did you just use the cutting of Brock Rutter as indication Mac Jones will be selected #3 overall with the team giving away 2 future firsts and a 3rd round pick?

Well I dont like saying it, but in addition to the Brock Rutter cut, signing Sudfeld, phill Simms podcast, Jimmy as being on the team for 2021, and their stated desire to have insulation from injury at the QB position kind of points to Mac Jones. With Mac Jones, Kyle doesn't need to change his offense if Jimmy is injured.

Fields and Lance would need significant changes in the offense if they were to take over from Jimmy if he was injured. The reads and offense would be simplified and dummed down, (for example). Yes I agree Fields can run the full Shanahan offense but not from the git go the way Mac could.
By all accounts I'm not saying Justin will fail. Let's say it doesn't work out, I would feel more comfortable looking back saying ok it didn't work for Justin then Mac. In Mac we all know how mad/disappointed we all would be if Mac sucked and Justin was in the running for MVP. How would you all feel if Mac was in the running for MVP and Justin the Draft Bust?

Breer who's reporting I value a ton said there were really no true trade discussions with any other team besides Miami...SF sniffed around very early to see which teams were actually willing to move down (meaning they weren't in at QB and that might be the start of the run at QBs). It wasn't where they actually wanted to move to (picks 4-5).

Lawrence, Fields, Wilson, and Lance are all seen as immensely-talented QBs.

Miami took their top 5 QB last year,...so Cincy @ #5 makes sense without including being left to choose whatever QB scraps are left.

No, it doesn't. Neither Miami or Atlanta are likely to take a QB, so it is possible that Fields would still be available at 5. However, there is a possibility that a team would trade up ahead of you. Which explains why the 49ers ultimately decided to go up to 3 despite the high cost. If anything, the way this went down points to Fields more than anyone, because there's no way Jones wouldn't still be there at 5.
Originally posted by Eastcoast49er:
By all accounts I'm not saying Justin will fail. Let's say it doesn't work out, I would feel more comfortable looking back saying ok it didn't work for Justin then Mac. In Mac we all know how mad/disappointed we all would be if Mac sucked and Justin was in the running for MVP. How would you all feel if Mac was in the running for MVP and Justin the Draft Bust?

Inconceivable.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Who da s**t is Brock Rutter? lol Last I checked they have Josh Johnson as their "athletic" QB.

Good point about Josh being athletic, but he's also old. I think he's more of a QB scout team to mimic midget Wilson and Midget murry, and a covid hire more than an actual backup, to help 49ers prepare for those divisional games.

If Kyle really wanted to inject athleticism into the QB position, why not keep a developmental QB in Brock Rutter? Why not seek more athletic QBs in free agency vs signing Sudfeld?

Well I dont like saying it, but in addition to the Brock Rutter cut, signing Sudfeld, phill Simms podcast, Jimmy as being on the team for 2021, and their stated desire to have insulation from injury at the QB position kind of points to Mac Jones. With Mac Jones, Kyle doesn't need to change his offense if Jimmy is injured.

Fields and Lance would need significant changes in the offense if they were to take over from Jimmy if he was injured. The reads and offense would be simplified and dummed down, (for example). Yes I agree Fields can run the full Shanahan offense but not from the git go the way Mac could.

Why does he need to change his offense with FIelds? Outside of making it much more dangerous to defend?

You realize Justin Fields had more snaps under center than Mac Jones right? You think Mac Jones can pick up Kyle Shanahan's offense in one offseason when it took Matt Ryan 2 offseasons and 1 full NFL season to master it?

Fact it to truly get Kyle's offense it will likely require the rookie to sit, regardless of who they draft.

Go check Kyle's recent conversations/pressers on his QB evaluations as of late. They don't point to Jones.

If that's what happens, then it sucks, but I can live with it, because I know that they ultimately made the right decision at the time with the information they had. There's a chance with every draft pick that you'll wish that you took someone else in hindsight. It's pretty much guaranteed to happen to everyone due to the low hit rate of draft picks in general.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Good point about Josh being athletic, but he's also old. I think he's more of a QB scout team to mimic midget Wilson and Midget murry, and a covid hire more than an actual backup, to help 49ers prepare for those divisional games.

If Kyle really wanted to inject athleticism into the QB position, why not keep a developmental QB in Brock Rutter? Why not seek more athletic QBs in free agency vs signing Sudfeld?

Maybe Brock Rutter just sucked? Who TF knows why they cut him. It has nothing to do with this draft.
Share 49ersWebzone