There are 260 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-talks-49ers-trading-down-prior-to-deal-with-miami-dolphins

Bengals are drafting 5th. If this is was the 49ers original targeted draft position to trade up to, it could only mean Jones or possibly Lance to begin with. But that could all change now they were able to trade to 3.

Breer who's reporting I value a ton said there were really no true trade discussions with any other team besides Miami...SF sniffed around very early to see which teams were actually willing to move down (meaning they weren't in at QB and that might be the start of the run at QBs). It wasn't where they actually wanted to move to (picks 4-5).

Asking around to trade with teams in the top 10 when you're looking to jump up for a QB is very smart. You can get some good intel on who actually is looking to trade down, who is locked in and you can make some sound logical conclusions from that.

QB needy team not budging? Likely going QB
Team with a ton of needs giving you the vibe they'll move - potential trade partner for someone looking at the jump up for a QB
Team with a clear need at WR or OT in a draft with blue chip prospects at the position not budging on moving down - good chance they're sticking around and not picking QB.
Etc...
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-talks-49ers-trading-down-prior-to-deal-with-miami-dolphins

Bengals are drafting 5th. If this is was the 49ers original targeted draft position to trade up to, it could only mean Jones or possibly Lance to begin with. But that could all change now they were able to trade to 3.

No, it doesn't. Neither Miami or Atlanta are likely to take a QB, so it is possible that Fields would still be available at 5. However, there is a possibility that a team would trade up ahead of you. Which explains why the 49ers ultimately decided to go up to 3 despite the high cost. If anything, the way this went down points to Fields more than anyone, because there's no way Jones wouldn't still be there at 5.

When you make a big trade like that before draft day, you can't make assumptions.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I need Fields, bad.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I need Fields, bad.
What happened to your love for Jones
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I need Fields, bad.

It's waning - I'm all go for Fields, now.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 12, 2021 at 1:14 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Asking around to trade with teams in the top 10 when you're looking to jump up for a QB is very smart. You can get some good intel on who actually is looking to trade down, who is locked in and you can make some sound logical conclusions from that.

QB needy team not budging? Likely going QB
Team with a ton of needs giving you the vibe they'll move - potential trade partner for someone looking at the jump up for a QB
Team with a clear need at WR or OT in a draft with blue chip prospects at the position not budging on moving down - good chance they're sticking around and not picking QB.
Etc...

Pretty much what they were doing...there was no legit compensation discussed or anything from what he was saying. Miami and SF were the trade partners and neither team tried to deal with anyone else. The only issue was Miami didn't want to move to 12 so they had to find a 3rd team, which ended up being Philly.

Also the fact that CAR had been in discussions about Sam since February, makes the whole they love Jones thing a little bit of a stretch IMO.
I like all five of the QB's. It's like watching the big wheel spin around, whichever number it lands on, I'll celebrate!
Originally posted by eastie:
I like all five of the QB's. It's like watching the big wheel spin around, whichever number it lands on, I'll celebrate!

Yea, now the media is spinning the wheel on the jets may take fields over Wilson. The only response I recall from the jets was that Steve young was pretty connected to BYU in response to a reporter trying to connect Wilson to the jets. Not much evidence for the 2 pick either.

No, it doesn't. Neither Miami or Atlanta are likely to take a QB, so it is possible that Fields would still be available at 5. However, there is a possibility that a team would trade up ahead of you. Which explains why the 49ers ultimately decided to go up to 3 despite the high cost. If anything, the way this went down points to Fields more than anyone, because there's no way Jones wouldn't still be there at 5.

When you make a big trade like that before draft day, you can't make assumptions.

Which is what I'm saying. They debated whether trading up to 4 or 5 was worth the risk, and ultimately decided it wasn't.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
I need Fields, bad.

It's waning - I'm all go for Fields, now.
lol.. all this time to think about it, would do that to our draft crushes

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Again, Jets don't care about us. We get their sloppy seconds.

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

Agree and the media does it for its typical reasons-- it generates ratings and clicks. Kyle brought in a undrafted free agent in 2020, and he was a mobile QB in the style of a Mahomes. UDFA Brock Rutter was cut, I think, even before training camp started. I was really disappointed that Kyle didn't even allow him to compete in training camp. That to me is a much more recent past indication of where he is with Feilds, Lance, and Mac. Unfortunately that data point indicates a Mac pick in my opinion. Which is a disappointment to say the least.

My goodness Giedi, did you just use the cutting of Brock Rutter as indication Mac Jones will be selected #3 overall with the team giving away 2 future firsts and a 3rd round pick?

Well I dont like saying it, but in addition to the Brock Rutter cut, signing Sudfeld, phill Simms podcast, Jimmy as being on the team for 2021, and their stated desire to have insulation from injury at the QB position kind of points to Mac Jones. With Mac Jones, Kyle doesn't need to change his offense if Jimmy is injured.

Fields and Lance would need significant changes in the offense if they were to take over from Jimmy if he was injured. The reads and offense would be simplified and dummed down, (for example). Yes I agree Fields can run the full Shanahan offense but not from the git go the way Mac could.

Why does he need to change his offense with FIelds? Outside of making it much more dangerous to defend?

You realize Justin Fields had more snaps under center than Mac Jones right? You think Mac Jones can pick up Kyle Shanahan's offense in one offseason when it took Matt Ryan 2 offseasons and 1 full NFL season to master it?

Fact it to truly get Kyle's offense it will likely require the rookie to sit, regardless of who they draft.

Go check Kyle's recent conversations/pressers on his QB evaluations as of late. They don't point to Jones.

I'm just going off of Phill Simm's podcast. I think he knows more about QBing than I do. I find his views and his opinion very credible and makes sense. Also I've looked at some of the YouTube videos on all three QB's and all three QB's have their deficits. It's a consensus that Mac has the edge in the pocket and that both Lance and Fields are more dangerous athletically. All three can operate in the pocket and all three can extend plays with their athleticism, just to varying degrees. I also think you don't move to #3 and give up three number ones without having *some* idea who is available at #3. I also think they haven't made a final decision and probably wont until an hour or two before the pick. But given Kyle's history with pocket QB's -- the Mac pick is really compelling to my point of view. I still like Fields over Mac though, I think he will force Kyle to really think through his offensive philosophy and grow. Mac will be more of a Jimmy kind of offense, maybe even an upgrade to Jimmy. We shall see.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Again, Jets don't care about us. We get their sloppy seconds.

Personally I don't think the niners are really even throwing smokescreens. If anything it's sorta the opposite, they've already revealed their taking a qb. I just think their taking their time and doing their due diligence on the top qb prospects that they believe will be available and the media is the one pushing the narratives of who their taking when they don't know s**t.

Agree and the media does it for its typical reasons-- it generates ratings and clicks. Kyle brought in a undrafted free agent in 2020, and he was a mobile QB in the style of a Mahomes. UDFA Brock Rutter was cut, I think, even before training camp started. I was really disappointed that Kyle didn't even allow him to compete in training camp. That to me is a much more recent past indication of where he is with Feilds, Lance, and Mac. Unfortunately that data point indicates a Mac pick in my opinion. Which is a disappointment to say the least.

My goodness Giedi, did you just use the cutting of Brock Rutter as indication Mac Jones will be selected #3 overall with the team giving away 2 future firsts and a 3rd round pick?

Who da s**t is Brock Rutter? lol Last I checked they have Josh Johnson as their "athletic" QB.

Good point about Josh being athletic, but he's also old. I think he's more of a QB scout team to mimic midget Wilson and Midget murry, and a covid hire more than an actual backup, to help 49ers prepare for those divisional games.

If Kyle really wanted to inject athleticism into the QB position, why not keep a developmental QB in Brock Rutter? Why not seek more athletic QBs in free agency vs signing Sudfeld?

Maybe Brock Rutter just sucked? Who TF knows why they cut him. It has nothing to do with this draft.

Maybe, maybe not, but it helps me put perspective on what I think Kyle is thinking. After all, in 2020 he didn't think his offense and defense would be devastated by injury, whereas now he knows he needs some depth at QB.
You guys got the Mac Jones thread locked?!
Originally posted by Waterbear:

This one will get locked too if people can't stay on topic.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Waterbear:

This one will get locked too if people can't stay on topic.

Hand out them smelling salts Phoenix! People gon' learn today!
Share 49ersWebzone