There are 252 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
You guys got the Mac Jones thread locked?!

This one will get locked too if people can't stay on topic.

We both know you secretly covet Fields as well and want his thread to count to surpass Jones'.
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-talks-49ers-trading-down-prior-to-deal-with-miami-dolphins

Bengals are drafting 5th. If this is was the 49ers original targeted draft position to trade up to, it could only mean Jones or possibly Lance to begin with. But that could all change now they were able to trade to 3.

I thought it was already assumed that the Dolphins didn't want to drop all the way to 12. That's why the 49ers got the Eagles involved in the 3 way trade. They were trying to move to 5 or 4, whatever, and then trade the 4/5 to the Dolphins for the #3. Their target was #3, I believe.
Originally posted by tommyncal:
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-talks-49ers-trading-down-prior-to-deal-with-miami-dolphins

Bengals are drafting 5th. If this is was the 49ers original targeted draft position to trade up to, it could only mean Jones or possibly Lance to begin with. But that could all change now they were able to trade to 3.

I thought it was already assumed that the Dolphins didn't want to drop all the way to 12. That's why the 49ers got the Eagles involved in the 3 way trade. They were trying to move to 5 or 4, whatever, and then trade the 4/5 to the Dolphins for the #3. Their target was #3, I believe.

I agree that #3 is for Fields or Lance, no need to jump that far for Jones.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Bengals were one of the teams the 49ers talked with while looking for ways to trade up: "49ers have been attempting to move into top five picks for several weeks now, per sources. They discussed trading up with Dolphins at 3, Falcons at 4, Bengals at 5 and ultimately decided to go as high as they could, per sources. There were no trade-up talks with the Jets at 2."

Instead, the 49ers struck a trade with the Dolphins to earn the third pick. Those Dolphins then secured a trade with the Eagles to move back up to six.

Long story short, it has been obvious the Bengals would field calls for the fifth pick and likely at least entertained the idea of a trade with the 49ers — which would have moved them down to 12th.

-------------------------------------

I haven't read anywhere where their initial target was 3, just to get into the top 5.
Great opportunity for both Fields and the Niners this week...only them & the Pats attending. As I've been saying all along, I think it'll be either Fields or Lance at #3. With either player, the chance to raise Coach's offense to a new level will just be too much to pass up. Justin's got more experience at a high level...but, Lance has an upside that's pretty rare at the QB position. I'll be happy with either one of them. Good luck to both men.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Bengals were one of the teams the 49ers talked with while looking for ways to trade up: "49ers have been attempting to move into top five picks for several weeks now, per sources. They discussed trading up with Dolphins at 3, Falcons at 4, Bengals at 5 and ultimately decided to go as high as they could, per sources. There were no trade-up talks with the Jets at 2."

Instead, the 49ers struck a trade with the Dolphins to earn the third pick. Those Dolphins then secured a trade with the Eagles to move back up to six.

Long story short, it has been obvious the Bengals would field calls for the fifth pick and likely at least entertained the idea of a trade with the 49ers — which would have moved them down to 12th.

I haven't read anywhere where their initial target was 3, just to get into the top 5.

They ultimately decided to go as high as they could, because they didn't want to risk not getting the 3rd QB taken. They knew that the Dolphins weren't taking a QB and the Falcons aren't likely to either, but you still risk being leapfrogged by another team. No sane team is trading up to #3 or #4 for f**king Mac Jones , so the fact that they felt like they had to ultimately go to #3 indicates that the pick is either Fields or Lance.
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Apr 12, 2021 at 2:31 PM ]
Fields will be the pick

"The Miami Dolphins played a centerpiece in what is essentially a three-team trade for draft assets. Miami moved down from third overall to 12th overall in the 2021 NFL Draft in a deal with the San Francisco 49ers (for about 30 minutes) before moving back up from 12th to 6th in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles." USA Today

I'm assuming the 49ers wanted the #3 and the Dolphins said ok , but get us a pick in the top 6. I, again, think the destination was #3, only acquire #5 or #6 to give the Dolphins what they wanted and was already discussed with them.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by njninersfan420:
Fields will be the pick

Mrs. Fields, we think your son is a five-tool ballplayer and the San Francisco 49ers are prepared to present him with this $30,000 check to demonstrate just how serious we are about his potential. Mac Jones, Zach Wilson, and Trey Lance all have ugly girlfriends. They have no confidence. Your son's girlfriend is hot, Mrs. Fields. He plays with a lot of confidence, and we'd like him to be our starting quarterback for the next 15 years.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Fields will be the pick

Thinking of fields throwing to kittle, aiyuk, and deebo with shanny's playcalling gives me a rise in the Levi's
Where are the people who read to much into the Vegas betting lines? Cause Fields line is MOVIN
  • thl408
"The Miami Dolphins played a centerpiece in what is essentially a three-team trade for draft assets. Miami moved down from third overall to 12th overall in the 2021 NFL Draft in a deal with the San Francisco 49ers (for about 30 minutes) before moving back up from 12th to 6th in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles." USA Today

I'm assuming the 49ers wanted the #3 and the Dolphins said ok , but get us a pick in the top 6. I, again, think the destination was #3, only acquire #5 or #6 to give the Dolphins what they wanted and was already discussed with them.

The bolded makes a lot of sense as to why SF was poking around trying to get the #5 pick. It's not that their targeted QB would be at #5, it's that they were helping MIA move out of #3, but stay in the top 10.
I think it's being EXTREMELY, CRIMINALLY underreported that Fields had offers from Harvard and Yale in 2018. Looking at their recruiting over the years, Harvard is as selective as you would imagine. Between 2016-2021, they averaged 104 offers with only 4.2 offers going to 4-star players. Yale sent out more offers, 175.3 with 7.5 being to 4-stars. Yale offered a 5-star qb last year, but other than that, neither team has offered a 5-star in at least the last 10 years (as far back as I looked). Point being: these schools aren't just sending out offers to blue-chippers on the off-chance they accept. You've got to meet their notoriously high academic standards.

Ivy League offers from the other QBs:
Lance: 2 (Brown and Cornell)
Jones: ZERO
Lawrence: zero
Wilson: zero

It's really sad that the media hasn't picked up on this. Fields is probably one of the smartest players in this draft, or at least the hardest working.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Fields will be the pick

Thinking of fields throwing to kittle, aiyuk, and deebo with shanny's playcalling gives me a rise in the Levi's

I'd definitely cream my pants.
Share 49ersWebzone