There are 149 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Fields is more Newton than Wilson imo. Difference is he's a much better passer than Newton vs Newton being the better runner coming out in the draft. I think he's bigger than people think. He's by far a better looking prospect than the Troy Smiths, Cardale Jones and Haskins former OSU prospects, has all the traits required and certainly has the chance to make it in the pros. I wouldn't be mad at all if we took him
I wouldn't try and compare anyone to Wilson. He's a short guy built like a RB.He has huge hands and throws one of the 2 or 3 best deep balls in the league. He's fast but not super fast. He just seems to know where the openings are. He is incredible at running away from the rush while keeping his eyes downfield resulting in a lot of very long pass completions. Plus, he never misses a game.

In short, Wilson is unique and almost the perfect QB when you look at all areas of his game. I don't know how often players like him come around since he compiles so many good traits in a unique body type.
https://247sports.com/Article/Justin-Fields-No-1-overall-NFL-Draft-2021-Ohio-State-Buckeyes-Trevor-Lawrence-149786088/
Originally posted by jimrat:
This guy is a pass first run second type of quarterback.
Kinda like Mahomes,always looking down field and has a pocket presence and awareness constantly going through his progressions can take off but prefer to get the job done in a quasi-pocket style.......Kyle needs to change and stop being STUBBORN..Statues are a thing of the pass becoming extinct in the New NFL Hey Kyle don`t be a dinosaur get your mind right Kyle
Kinda like Mahomes,always looking down field and has a pocket presence and awareness constantly going through his progressions can take off but prefer to get the job done in a quasi-pocket style.......Kyle needs to change and stop being STUBBORN..Statues are a thing of the pass becoming extinct in the New NFL Hey Kyle don`t be a dinosaur get your mind right Kyle

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by wailers15:
No thank you. He needs another year at Ohio State IMHO. I see him right now as that classic Athletic freak who dominates in College. Can he transition it over to the NFL???? Is he just a system guy at Ohio St?? Idk.

Let's be honest... Ohio St hasn't produced any legit NFL QB's under Meyer's system. Hell ever

I think there are better options than Fields. Who knows but History says pass

As I said before, he's not a freak athlete... he's also clearly a pass first quarterback. You should consider watching a game before resorting to stereotyping.

Urban Meyer has only had one actual NFL quarterback prospect at Ohio State and that was Dwayne Haskins, who has a live arm but sloppy footwork. The jury is still out on him.

exactly right

No thank you. He needs another year at Ohio State IMHO. I see him right now as that classic Athletic freak who dominates in College. Can he transition it over to the NFL???? Is he just a system guy at Ohio St?? Idk.

Let's be honest... Ohio St hasn't produced any legit NFL QB's under Meyer's system. Hell ever

As I said before, he's not a freak athlete... he's also clearly a pass first quarterback. You should consider watching a game before resorting to stereotyping.

Urban Meyer has only had one actual NFL quarterback prospect at Ohio State and that was Dwayne Haskins, who has a live arm but sloppy footwork. The jury is still out on him.

exactly right
He's Nothing like Lamar. And so far still looks like Lamar can't throw a nice deep. Can use your legs for so long.

He's Nothing like Lamar. And so far still looks like Lamar can't throw a nice deep. Can use your legs for so long.

How`s JimmyG working for you

I have watched plenty on him. I followed him on his way to GA before the transfer. Well aware.

Not sure what you mean about Meyer having only one NFL QB prospect? If that's the case then what's that got to say about OSU QB's?? That their just system QB's and cannot transition to the next level?

Do you understand how college football works, or even football in general? Since Urban Meyer has been at Ohio State he has had Braxton Miller at quarterback, an outstanding athlete but someone who was never considered an NFL prospect. He ended up moving to wide receiver his senior year and was a 2nd or 3rd round pick by the Texans if I remember right.

Then he had JT Barrett... a perfect college quarterback... very smart, a strong runner, great leader... but not much of an arm and again, never taken seriously as an NFL prospect. I think he wound up as a 6th round pick or something.

Cardale Jones fit the bill, a bit of a head case, but a HUGE arm and good mechanics. Only half a year as a starter, though, and struggled splitting time with Barrett.. he ended up a 3rd or 4th round pick for the Bills. Actually looked good in preseason but never got his shot. Not sure where he's at now.

I already spoke on Haskins. Urban had Tebow who, once again, was never a real QB prospect but an excellent college football player. Chris Leak was small, had a weak arm and was surrounded by great talent, but not a real QB option at the next level.

There is no real QB factory... NFL quarterbacks are hard to find. Fields is a real NFL talent.

You say you watched plenty on him before he went to Georgia, but that's pretty irrelevant. In high school I'm sure all he did was run around in circles and throw deep, but wasn't allowed to develop which is normal in high school.

He was co-MVP with Lawrence at the Elite 11 QB camp, which has nothing to do with mobility. He was ranked higher than Lawrence by a lot of publications. He goes to Georgia and battles out with Jake Fromm. Fromm's family are big time boosters with the program and it's pretty much well known that he was penciled in as a starter and Fields never had a shot which is why he sought out a transfer.

Players change... they get better, they regress... etc etc. If the last you saw of Fields was his high school stuff or a highlight tape you're doing yourself a disservice. Remember, Joe Burrow was a backup at OSU and was beaten out by Haskins before transferring to LSU. He had a very mediocre junior season and then proceeded to have the best year anyone has ever had in college football history.

Well Said...dropped the mic and walked off the stage..........
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
NO!! he has a slow and wide release that does not translate well into the west coast offense.
I was just thinking...when's the last time an Ohio St QB succeeded in the NFL. I looked it up...they haven't. That school has produced a lot of NFL players, but no QB's have achieved what you could call stardom in the pros. I know there were high hopes for Haskins, but so far, they're still hopes. Nothing against Fields, he's one of the top QB's in college, but I just don't see Coach/Lynch going after him, should 2020 end in disaster. After looking over the QB class of 2021, I came away feeling underwhelmed. Not that there aren't some good QB's, but not that many after the top 3-4 I can see becoming franchise QB's in the NFL. One guy that's a bit intriguing, though, is K.J. Costello. He transferred to Miss St, so is now under the tutelage of Coach Mike Leach. It'll be interesting to see how much ML can develop him. He has the size, arm strength, etc. to be an NFL QB. I'll keep an eye on him.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I was just thinking...when's the last time an Ohio St QB succeeded in the NFL. I looked it up...they haven't. That school has produced a lot of NFL players, but no QB's have achieved what you could call stardom in the pros. I know there were high hopes for Haskins, but so far, they're still hopes. Nothing against Fields, he's one of the top QB's in college, but I just don't see Coach/Lynch going after him, should 2020 end in disaster. After looking over the QB class of 2021, I came away feeling underwhelmed. Not that there aren't some good QB's, but not that many after the top 3-4 I can see becoming franchise QB's in the NFL. One guy that's a bit intriguing, though, is K.J. Costello. He transferred to Miss St, so is now under the tutelage of Coach Mike Leach. It'll be interesting to see how much ML can develop him. He has the size, arm strength, etc. to be an NFL QB. I'll keep an eye on him.

And Mike Leach is out there producing star NFL quarterbacks?
Minshew probably the best out of that bunch and he is about as mediocre as it gets...........gimme a break

K.J. Costello, Mississippi State. ...
Anthony Gordon, Washington State- practice squad
Gardner Minshew, Washington State- Starting QB Jags
Luke Falk, Washington State. ... FA
Connor Halliday, Washington State. ...
Jeff Tuel, Washington State. ...
Taylor Potts, Texas Tech. ...
Graham Harrell, Texas Tech.
Cody Hodges, Texas Tech.
Sonny Cumbie, Texas Tech.
BJ Symons, Texas Tech
Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech- Coach of the Cardinals
Josh Heupel, Oklahoma
Tim Couch, Kentucky- Epic 1st pick bust
[ Edited by jimrat on Oct 16, 2020 at 2:44 PM ]

• jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Russell Wilson had a 73% completion, threw for over 3,000 yards and 33 touchdowns out of a pro-style west coast offense. I don't see Russell Wilson at all.

Check out Matt Corral. Red shirt sophmore

6 interceptions against Arkansas 😬
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

exactly right

How`s JimmyG working for you

Wtf are you talking about ... how's Jimmy G working for you??
[ Edited by wailers15 on Oct 19, 2020 at 9:24 AM ]
6 interceptions against Arkansas 😬

Yea, he sorta imploded lol
Fields, barring injury could easily be the best pro qb Ohio state ever had.

He's a guy I think Kyle would love.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Fields, barring injury could easily be the best pro qb Ohio state ever had.

He's a guy I think Kyle would love.

Agree except for the Kyle part. His love for Cousins and Beathard during their respective drafts confuses me
Share 49ersWebzone