49ers vs. Jets at Levi's Stadium • Buy Tickets →

There are 164 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

That would be sick if the draft board fell that way, but no way Fields lasts to 12.

Not sure that I buy that, you just have to put on the Clemson game this year to see that's BS.

I honestly don't even think it should go as a negative, he's inconsistent, but him doing it is out there. I think the offense has more to do with it than Fields.

Other rumour mill has the Eagles as major QB players, might be back to Miami for a trade which may price us out.
What's E matter, baby?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Not sure that I buy that, you just have to put on the Clemson game this year to see that's BS.

I honestly don't even think it should go as a negative, he's inconsistent, but him doing it is out there. I think the offense has more to do with it than Fields.

Other rumour mill has the Eagles as major QB players, might be back to Miami for a trade which may price us out.

I don't see a Philly as QB players in 2021. They're gonna have to cut a ton of players just to get under the cap. They're not drafting a QB.

Imo they're gonna do whatever they can to get more picks and get cheap talent. I mean they just took on the biggest DM hit in NFL history during a Covid cap yr....they need players.

I can see them getting foles or Jacoby brissett as competition for Hurts this yr.

I don't see a Philly as QB players in 2021. They're gonna have to cut a ton of players just to get under the cap. They're not drafting a QB.

Imo they're gonna do whatever they can to get more picks and get cheap talent. I mean they just took on the biggest DM hit in NFL history during a Covid cap yr....they need players.

I can see them getting foles or Jacoby brissett as competition for Hurts this yr.

Hey, I don't think so either, same with the Falcons, just passing on what I heard. I do think that it's funny though, there's no way these teams are leaking their intentions, just people reading the tea leaves.

I like ours better.

I was coming up with a trade idea, it's basically that we'll send next year's 1 & 3, though that not being quite enough for teams.

So in addition we send this and next year's 2nd round picks, but we want the other teams 3rd rounders back, so basically two pick swaps down the order.

What do people think?
Hey, I don't think so either, same with the Falcons, just passing on what I heard. I do think that it's funny though, there's no way these teams are leaking their intentions, just people reading the tea leaves.

I like ours better.

I was coming up with a trade idea, it's basically that we'll send next year's 1 & 3, though that not being quite enough for teams.

So in addition we send this and next year's 2nd round picks, but we want the other teams 3rd rounders back, so basically two pick swaps down the order.

What do people think?

Eagles leaking that to get picks...if there's one franchise that does that s**t it's Philly.

imo that's the spot to move up.

im down for whatever trade to move up for a QB.
Eagles leaking that to get picks...if there's one franchise that does that s**t it's Philly.

imo that's the spot to move up.

im down for whatever trade to move up for a QB.

Possibly, they aren't big on trading down though, and I think Howie will have a hard on for Jamarr Chase.

The Falcons worry me, do you think that trade would interest the Dolphins?

I'm not sure it's enough, I don't really want to give up our 2 this year, talented part of the draft and a big drop to our comp pick, that's why I'd like a swap.
Possibly, they aren't big on trading down though, and I think Howie will have a hard on for Jamarr Chase.

The Falcons worry me, do you think that trade would interest the Dolphins?

I'm not sure it's enough, I don't really want to give up our 2 this year, talented part of the draft and a big drop to our comp pick, that's why I'd like a swap.

I just did a trade on TDN and gave up 12 & our 3rd in 2021 and 1st/3rd in 2022 to move up to 6...took fields
I just did a trade on TDN and gave up 12 & our 3rd in 2021 and 1st/3rd in 2022 to move up to 6...took fields

I don't doubt it would work at 6, it's 3 & 4 I'm worried about.

Panthers are a candidate to trade into 3, and Falcons could certainly take Fields at 4, even though I don't think they will.

I've been looking at the top guys, and I really think the QB's are going 1,2,3. They're just better than the rest (apart from Pitts and Najee) and when you factor in value it isn't close.

I think the only way it doesn't is if the Dolphins get gaga over Sewell or a WR, but I think you have to trade to #3 to get Fields or Wilson.

There were some of those same concerns about Herbert coming out of college. Some of that comes from the system they run. They are often asked to make one read and then decide whether to hand the ball off or run themselves in college. Herbert had very average throwing numbers at Oregon because they ran that option so much. I didn't watch a lot of OSU games since I can't stand the Buckeyes but maybe that's what they were asking him to do.

I don't doubt it would work at 6, it's 3 & 4 I'm worried about.

Panthers are a candidate to trade into 3, and Falcons could certainly take Fields at 4, even though I don't think they will.

I've been looking at the top guys, and I really think the QB's are going 1,2,3. They're just better than the rest (apart from Pitts and Najee) and when you factor in value it isn't close.

I think the only way it doesn't is if the Dolphins get gaga over Sewell or a WR, but I think you have to trade to #3 to get Fields or Wilson.

Meh I don't see QB going 1-3 you need two teams to make a trade happen end of the day.

Miami could value chase/smith much higher than any other WR. They could value Sewell over anyone available at 8.

also the fact that fields has been going down boards a little might change some things up. Also the whole Watson stuff. Will be interesting.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

There were some of those same concerns about Herbert coming out of college. Some of that comes from the system they run. They are often asked to make one read and then decide whether to hand the ball off or run themselves in college. Herbert had very average throwing numbers at Oregon because they ran that option so much. I didn't watch a lot of OSU games since I can't stand the Buckeyes but maybe that's what they were asking him to do.

Watched several times, one of my family member is a big OSU fan, so I keep up with them. I didn't see his issue being that really. OSU does run that type of an offense, but plenty of times I saw him go through some reads.

His biggest issue is throwing the ball out on time. He trusts his arm too much. And doesn't throw it very often when receivers are still running their routes. Most of the time he throws it as soon as the route is finished or almost finished. At the pro level, that's not gonna fly. Mac Jones is a guy that does that very well. But he doesn't run a 4.5 or has Fields's arm strength.

The talent is there with Fields, but I do worry that he just doesn't process things as quickly at the pro level, and OSU just doesn't run a offense that produces great QBs at the pro level.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Feb 21, 2021 at 10:39 AM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Watched several times, one of my family member is a big OSU fan, so I keep up with them. I didn't see his issue being that really. OSU does run that type of an offense, but plenty of times I saw him go through some reads.

His biggest issue is throwing the ball out on time. He trusts his arm too much. And doesn't throw it very often when receivers are still running their routes. Most of the time he throws it as soon as the route is finished or almost finished. At the pro level, that's not gonna fly. Mac Jones is a guy that does that very well. But he doesn't run a 4.5 or has Fields's arm strength.

The talent is there with Fields, but I do worry that he just doesn't process things as quickly at the pro level, and OSU just doesn't run a offense that produces great QBs at the pro level.

Nice Post, the only thing I disagree with is that it's down to the NFL teams to produce great pros, not OSU.

Get these kids in your building and work with them, build an offense around them. Sit them if they need it.

If a QB fails is down to your Coaches, GM and the kid himself, not the colleges.
Nice Post, the only thing I disagree with is that it's down to the NFL teams to produce great pros, not OSU.

Get these kids in your building and work with them, build an offense around them. Sit them if they need it.

If a QB fails is down to your Coaches, GM and the kid himself, not the colleges.

I agree. The colleges often don't have them that long and there are restrictions on how long they can practice. There was a time when players played 3 or 4 years and had way more starts under their belt but now players come out early and often have only 2 years if the redshirt. In those cases, the pros might need to spend a little more time coaching these guys. Not just the QBs. The O linemen too.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

I agree. The colleges often don't have them that long and there are restrictions on how long they can practice. There was a time when players played 3 or 4 years and had way more starts under their belt but now players come out early and often have only 2 years if the redshirt. In those cases, the pros might need to spend a little more time coaching these guys. Not just the QBs. The O linemen too.

The OL has by far become the biggest problem bc of how teams in college play. I think this is why now you are seeing some teams running some spread offense as well, not just for the QB, but the OL.

But thats a lot on the coaches at the pro level (like BigMac said). They aren't good enough. Theres OL coaches that teach these guys very well and they love to work with a 6'5 guy thats 300+ lbs and athletic. But a lot of them just flat out shouldn't be coaching.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Feb 21, 2021 at 11:19 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone