There are 194 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

It's finally draft day . Let's fn gooo
Originally posted by njninersfan420:

Ugh my favorite day of the year as a sports fan...SF has turned it into a possible nightmare lol. Just draft Lance/fields
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
Justin Fields has flaws like any other prospect. He tries to be an hero too much which results in mistakes, it can be coached.

He sticks with his first read and doesn't go trough his progressions? Hell no, even in his worst games against elite college defenses, he went trough his progressions. He tried plays that weren't there and resulted in turnovers when he should just get rid of it, again, something coachable.

Work ethic? There's no evidence about this and none of his coaches has ever said anything about this. Does he look on film like some lazy bum who doesn't study the playbook or his opponent? Nah.

Accuracy? Perhaps the most accurate QB in this draft class.

Throwing motion? YES. This is something he has to work with. Reminds me of a Blake Bortles motion. Again, coachable, but perhaps what will take him longer to fix. Josh Allen and Lamar had mechanics problems when they entered the league as well, and I think Justin is already a better passer than Lamar.

Overall if the Jets are idiots and pass on this kid, the 49ers will be even more stupid to pass on him for some lesser second round talent. Justin has generational talent and potential, and the 49ers have a great roster and coaching staff to boost his chances in the NFL. Just keep Jimmy this year to give him a better chance.
If the Jets are smart and pick Justin, then go with Trey Lance, who has his flaws but all coachable.

I don't worry about the hero ball thing at all. Someone made a great point that because OSU had a shortened season the only way they had a chance to make the playoffs was to basically go the F off.

When people vote you in to the playoffs you need to play hero ball. In the NFL coaches beat it into your head - any win is a good win and you have to protect yourself and think big picture.

His throwing motion is also not a major issue for me. If he can clean it up and speed it up...terrific. He'd be even better but slower motion for a guy who can throw darts isn't worse than a faster motion for a guy who can't get much velocity on the ball.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by njninersfan420:

Ugh my favorite day of the year as a sports fan...SF has turned it into a possible nightmare lol. Just draft Lance/fields

It really has been a massive emotional swing. I hope it ends on a good note.

I still remember hearing the trade made and was pumped thinking Fields was in play.

Then reports of Mac Jones started coming in and it wasn't even a thought I had....ever since then it's been anxiety like woa
Pretty much all the way through this process, and I don't really think I've seen any 'expert' put 49ers and Justin Fields together in a so-called mock draft or whatever. That's either flat out bizarre or it's by design.
It is finally here. Draftmas morning. The day that can alter a teams future. It's been a long journey to get here. From the bitterness of losing the super bowl. The anguish of seeing Bosa down and injured. Did we suffer through all this pain in vein? No! No we did not. Cause on this day we will not fail. On this day we will do what is needed to elevate this team. We will now panic. We will "play it cool". We as a team will select Justin Fields with the 3rd overall pick in the draft and the entire NFL can suck our f**king cocks! Let's go boys
Originally posted by genus49:
It really has been a massive emotional swing. I hope it ends on a good note.

I still remember hearing the trade made and was pumped thinking Fields was in play.

Then reports of Mac Jones started coming in and it wasn't even a thought I had....ever since then it's been anxiety like woa

Dude for real...I've been wanting them to do this for like 20 years. At that moment I thought it was Fields no doubt.

The Jones talk was immediate though and it made absolutely no sense, if you want him that's a draft day trade...s**t Philly at 6 would be the move (and they already moved down to 12). They have to understand teams rough big boards somehow, we're all fans and have an idea who likes who. Not a chance a team moves top 5 for Jones. The Carolina stuff was fake news. They were looking at Darnold since Feb. They want a big fish not Mac Jones (I'm guessing the wait on Watson or next yrs draft now).

I've never seen a guy so propped up by the media and by some in here...throw jones on southern miss and his Nick Mullens. Man I hope they don't f**k this up.
From a HC...

And some believe that experience would be best, at first, coming by watching. "It'd be best suited for him to have a transition year, learning and getting valuable growth watching a guy. The Pat Mahomes experience would be ideal," said a quarterbacks coach. "He really has, it's really impressive, real good contact balance. Shrugging off tacklers, he maintains a great foundation on the ground with all that around him. He has touch and feel with his throws, he can place it, he can raise a ball like he needs to. … He's a special athlete for a quarterback. He's not Mike Vick, he's not Lamar Jackson, but I'd stack him against any other quarterback—a darn good athlete as a one-cut runner. There's a little wiggle, not a lot, but once he gets going, the top-end speed is very impressive. And he has plenty of arm strength."

One other question that relates back to Ohio State's scheme is how much the quarterback looks to the sideline for calls, and also how it seemed simplified a bit in 2020—but that's something that might be explainable, and probably doesn't supersede his big-game performances. "The game against Clemson was super impressive, and against a really good defense," said another quarterbacks coach. "With all the pressure on him and Trevor that night, he performed extremely well, and that's a big thing, when it comes to the pressure he'll face in the NFL. He has all the physical tools. Just looking at this past year, the offense, maybe because of the situation with COVID—they were playing, they were, they weren't, then they were again—looked a little more limited. But that's probably not a reflection on him as much as the situation." Generally, though, teams believe he can get past his problems. "I think it's unfair what happened to the kid," said another QBs coach. "Look at what he did in huge games—the Ohio State-Clemson game, he played unbelievable after a significant injury. I love his ability to throw the deep ball. His release is a little long, but that can be tightened up. He's not late, has to process, anticipate; but I don't see processing as a problem."
Originally posted by NYniner85:
From a HC...

And some believe that experience would be best, at first, coming by watching. "It'd be best suited for him to have a transition year, learning and getting valuable growth watching a guy. The Pat Mahomes experience would be ideal," said a quarterbacks coach. "He really has, it's really impressive, real good contact balance. Shrugging off tacklers, he maintains a great foundation on the ground with all that around him. He has touch and feel with his throws, he can place it, he can raise a ball like he needs to. … He's a special athlete for a quarterback. He's not Mike Vick, he's not Lamar Jackson, but I'd stack him against any other quarterback—a darn good athlete as a one-cut runner. There's a little wiggle, not a lot, but once he gets going, the top-end speed is very impressive. And he has plenty of arm strength."

One other question that relates back to Ohio State's scheme is how much the quarterback looks to the sideline for calls, and also how it seemed simplified a bit in 2020—but that's something that might be explainable, and probably doesn't supersede his big-game performances. "The game against Clemson was super impressive, and against a really good defense," said another quarterbacks coach. "With all the pressure on him and Trevor that night, he performed extremely well, and that's a big thing, when it comes to the pressure he'll face in the NFL. He has all the physical tools. Just looking at this past year, the offense, maybe because of the situation with COVID—they were playing, they were, they weren't, then they were again—looked a little more limited. But that's probably not a reflection on him as much as the situation." Generally, though, teams believe he can get past his problems. "I think it's unfair what happened to the kid," said another QBs coach. "Look at what he did in huge games—the Ohio State-Clemson game, he played unbelievable after a significant injury. I love his ability to throw the deep ball. His release is a little long, but that can be tightened up. He's not late, has to process, anticipate; but I don't see processing as a problem."

Sounds made for Kyle!
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Last night I was watching NFL Total Access and they were discussing the Cowboys options at 10 and the top defensive backs in general and DeAngelo Hall, a former Pro Bowler had Horn from the Gamecocks as his top guy. He compared Horn to Jaire Alexander, and the whole time I'm thinking to myself, "that's hysterical...."

Originally posted by FL9er:
Last night I was watching NFL Total Access and they were discussing the Cowboys options at 10 and the top defensive backs in general and DeAngelo Hall, a former Pro Bowler had Horn from the Gamecocks as his top guy. He compared Horn to Jaire Alexander, and the whole time I'm thinking to myself, "that's hysterical...."

I do like Horn but Hall should leave that comparison on the cutting room floor. Jaire can smoother a WR without putting 1 finger on him. Horn has the Mike Tyson "everyone's got a plan til they get punched in the face" mentality which will piss off opposing receivers and his team when he gets laundry on the field.
Originally posted by Howlett49:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
I like him but I like Trey Lance even more.

Trey looks bad ass but I think he's more of a gimmick/ project QB. Fields looks more NFL ready. I'll take the guy who puts up the same kind of stats against better competition any day

This, but if we keep Grop id be cool with Fields playing the Taysum Hill role and developing. Then come and bring the pain like Keap..
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by FL9er:

I do like Horn but Hall should leave that comparison on the cutting room floor. Jaire can smoother a WR without putting 1 finger on him. Horn has the Mike Tyson "everyone's got a plan til they get punched in the face" mentality which will piss off opposing receivers and his team when he gets laundry on the field.

IMO that's a horrible comp...and I like Horn as well (think he's a bit grabby though).
This kid ending up in NE would be a crime against the NFL.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
This kid ending up in NE would be a crime against the NFL.

He's going to be a crime against the NFL when he's drafted by the Niners today.
Share 49ersWebzone