There are 272 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by Howlett49:
I'm still rolling with Fields tonight. Matter of fact I'm so dug in at this point that I will forever compare these QBs careers. I will be so mad if we skip this guy and he becomes a star.

He will be a star, but will he win SBs?
I dont understand taking Lance if Fields is there. I must be missing something. Lance is a better runner but Fields looks better at almost everything else and did it against better competition..i think at this point i will be disapponted if its anyone other than Fields.
Originally posted by hubbyt:
I dont understand taking Lance if Fields is there. I must be missing something. Lance is a better runner but Fields looks better at almost everything else and did it against better competition..i think at this point i will be disapponted if its anyone other than Fields.

From the film, I completely agree. The unknown is the Zoom sessions he's had with Kyle and the work he's done with Beck. If those two were blown away by his improvement and the mental side of the game, I could see Lance making sense. I still prefer Fields, but I will be happy with Lance.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

From the film, I completely agree. The unknown is the Zoom sessions he's had with Kyle and the work he's done with Beck. If those two were blown away by his improvement and the mental side of the game, I could see Lance making sense. I still prefer Fields, but I will be happy with Lance.

Yeah, thats a valid point. But I can also see that leading to the wrong choice. They always say the film and what happens in games should matter the most. Dont get blown away in a zoom meeting or workouts in shorts. I watched a game where Lance literally had 30 carries. He wasnt out there slingin the ball around with accuracy and looking like a savant lol.
Originally posted by spraked:
Was watching the Lynch interview from the 49ers youtube. When asked how they evaluate QBs one of the top things he said was dealing with adversity.

That got me wondering if the Mac Jones "leak" if it is real. It could have been to see how Fields (to a lesser extant lance) would deal with the adversity of not being the guy at 3 and worse have a team jump to make sure he was not 3. Seeing him double down try harder and knock the 2nd pro day out of the park could be a great response to that.

I am on the Lance train but this makes a lot of sense and I would love to see Fields on the 49ers as well.

Interesting take. If Lynch and Kyle are playing these type of games then I have a whole new level of respect for them. and I hope this is right.

I happen to think theyre(Kyle specifically) is much more simple than that and Lynch just wants to
keep the relationship solid. Still remember their first draft where Kyle made him trade up for CJ in what was considered a reach. Then the same draft Lynch traded up for Williams who he didn't even want, because Kyle said he was gonna be sick if he didn't get Williams. Then with pettis trade up, another massive reach. s**t Peter king even said Foster was really the third guy on our board. Kyle seems to lock in on guys that he thinks would be perfect fits and then desperately want them.

i truly hope these guys are playing games though
[ Edited by GhostOfBaalke on Apr 29, 2021 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Howlett49:
I'm still rolling with Fields tonight. Matter of fact I'm so dug in at this point that I will forever compare these QBs careers. I will be so mad if we skip this guy and he becomes a star.

He will be a star, but will he win SBs?

If he's in SF yes
Yeah, thats a valid point. But I can also see that leading to the wrong choice. They always say the film and what happens in games should matter the most. Dont get blown away in a zoom meeting or workouts in shorts. I watched a game where Lance literally had 30 carries. He wasnt out there slingin the ball around with accuracy and looking like a savant lol.

Agreed. Fitz is one of the smartest QBs in the NFL. That didn't translate to a franchise QB.
If we don't take him and take Lance/Jones, I'll believe its because of the medicals. I don't blame them, I guess
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
"With the 3rd overall pick of the 2021 NFL draft, the San Francisco 49ers select, JUSTIN FIELDS, Ohio State University."

Lehhss Goooo Niners!!

Originally posted by NYniner85:
JTO loves Fields

The qb school video are great, he gives the good and the bad. Too many of the evaluators pick a guy as their favorite and ignore any problems with their game, he's pretty good at being honest about them.
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

Agreed. Fitz is one of the smartest QBs in the NFL. That didn't translate to a franchise QB.

I think Harvard smart is different than football smart and ability to translate it to the field. Look at our boy Frank Gore.

Agree with your point about the film. Also, from what I've read, Fields is pretty darn bright in his own right.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:

I think Harvard smart is different than football smart and ability to translate it to the field. Look at our boy Frank Gore.

Agree with your point about the film. Also, from what I've read, Fields is pretty darn bright in his own right.

I also like Dak as an example when it comes to practice. Heard he didn't look all that and they were unsure of him. But when he got on the field his rookie year and the lights were on, something clicked and he blew everyone away even outplayed romo
Originally posted by Zealot:
Even they know it's Mac.

Why do you want a player that needs everything perfect around him to be successful?

Why do you not want a player that can evaluate players around them & can cover up deficiencies in the roster when Injuries happen.

Why do you want Feilds then? You are guilty of fixating on one guy, ignoring his faults, belittling every one not him. You say that he had everything perfect around him, ignoring that OSU had everything perfect around Fields. Jones is a more accurate passer who goes through his reads much more efficiently than Fields has shown the ability to with any consistency. Jones completely outplayed Fields in their head to head match-up. The talent gap between Alabama and OSU is not so wide that Fields shouldn't have been able to keep it close, if he is the perfect player. I don't really care which guy we take, as long as it is really the guy Shanahan really wants, but it is ridiculous to be tearing down one guy just because the other is the guy you like, especially seeing the results of their match up.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Apr 29, 2021 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Zealot:
Even they know it's Mac.

Why do you want a player that needs everything perfect around him to be successful?

Why do you not want a player that can evaluate players around them & can cover up deficiencies in the roster when Injuries happen.

Why do you want Feilds then? You are guilty of fixating on one guy, ignoring his faults, belittling every one not him. You say that he had everything perfect around him, ignoring that OSU had everything perfect around Fields. Jones is a more accurate passer who goes through his reads much more efficiently than Fields has shown the ability to with any consistency. Jones completely outplayed Fields in their head to head match-up. The talent gap between Alabama and OSU is not so wide that Fields shouldn't have been able to keep it close, if he is the perfect player. I don't really care which guy we take, as long as it is really the guy Shanahan really wants, but it is ridiculous to be tearing down one guy just because the other is the guy you like, especially seeing the results of their match up.

This 100%. Plus Macs center was out, Waddle was hurt and Smitty got hurt in the 3rd I think.
he still completely outplayed Fields.

Also, will be in Memphis tomo night at the Forum for the Grizz Magic game.
Share 49ersWebzone