George Kittle, Charvarius Ward join 49ers injury list ahead of clash with Rams →

There are 121 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
It's becoming apparent that fields is the exact opposite of Mac Jones. Dynamic, flashy, Athletic, makes the exciting play, is fun to watch, but not someone you want leading your team if you have superbowl aspirations. He'll make several unbelievable throws, and he'll have what the f**k plays that'll cause your team to lose. It's exactly why Shanahan passed on him.

Mac is boring, a team guy who will never really wow you, but can make the throws that are needed, when they are needed, to win. Like a machine, perfectly suits the patriots.

He's young. Some of those WTF plays will go away. I'm impressed by what I see. Some of the throws and runs are unbelievable. He's light years ahead of Trey Lance. If he can clean up some of the bad I think he can be an excellent QB in this league.
lol. Fields = Jake Locker 2.0

He's potentially a lot better.
It's becoming apparent that fields is the exact opposite of Mac Jones. Dynamic, flashy, Athletic, makes the exciting play, is fun to watch, but not someone you want leading your team if you have superbowl aspirations. He'll make several unbelievable throws, and he'll have what the f**k plays that'll cause your team to lose. It's exactly why Shanahan passed on him.

Mac is boring, a team guy who will never really wow you, but can make the throws that are needed, when they are needed, to win. Like a machine, perfectly suits the patriots.

He's young. Some of those WTF plays will go away. I'm impressed by what I see. Some of the throws and runs are unbelievable. He's light years ahead of Trey Lance. If he can clean up some of the bad I think he can be an excellent QB in this league.

Uh what? Locker was an athlete who couldn't play QB and lost almost every big game. How is that Fields?
Originally posted by Jcool:

Uh what? Locker was an athlete who couldn't play QB and lost almost every big game. How is that Fields?

He never saw Jake Locker play. Dude had a weaker arm than most High School QBs and then he compares him to Fields
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by krizay:

Smh. Like I said, you should do your homework. That's the problem with guys like you and the media and journalism in general. Theres no more honesty, no more research. It's all clickbait for advertising dollars and lemmings copying each others opinions.

It's sad really, and we wonder why the country is going down the s**tter... you cant get facts anywhere anymore.

But never fear, I am here to enlighten you with knowledge and banish you of your ignorance.

You do realize his initial comments came after his 1st preseason game where he had a REALLY good game.

He didn't walk it back until after the following game where he had a bad game.

August 14th after a 14 for 20, 142 1 TD 106.7 passer rating. The game feels slow.

August 22nd after a 9 of 19 for 80 yard game.... let me clarify what I meant.

You should do your homework

The comments were taken out of context. His explanation is linked. What is the issue?

Enough. Thank you.
Originally posted by theduke85:
I cannot believe how many sacks this guy takes. 31 sacks against 198 pass attempts. That is mindblowingly bad. One sack for every 6.38 pass attempts.

I'm sure the offensive line isn't doing him any favors, but when you take that many sacks, YOU are a huge part of the problem. For example, Andy Dalton behind that same line has taken 5 sacks in 73 attempts - one sack for every 14.6 attempts

Fields was my preference in the draft. Does this guy just have zero pocket awareness or something? My god.

I called that from day 1. Athletic QB trying to play hero (first instinct) because he can't trust his eyes and knowledge of defenses yet (nor has it yet) = high injury probability + tons of sacks and negative plays. Yup.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I cannot believe how many sacks this guy takes. 31 sacks against 198 pass attempts. That is mindblowingly bad. One sack for every 6.38 pass attempts.

I'm sure the offensive line isn't doing him any favors, but when you take that many sacks, YOU are a huge part of the problem. For example, Andy Dalton behind that same line has taken 5 sacks in 73 attempts - one sack for every 14.6 attempts

Fields was my preference in the draft. Does this guy just have zero pocket awareness or something? My god.

I called that from day 1. Athletic QB trying to play hero (first instinct) because he can't trust his eyes and knowledge of defenses yet (nor has it yet) = high injury probability + tons of sacks and negative plays. Yup.

His offensive line is completely horrible and he took nine of those sacks in one game against the Browns. A game where the offense performed so poorly, the local and national media literally considered that Matt Nagy may have purposely sabotaged him and were calling for him to be fired.

If you want to go look at numbers, the players who take the most sacks every year are guys like Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers... guys who try to extend take sacks, it's not that big of a deal.

Dont pat yourself on the back too hard, anybody who hated Fields (like you and a few others) made that prediction lol.
His offensive line is completely horrible and he took nine of those sacks in one game against the Browns. A game where the offense performed so poorly, the local and national media literally considered that Matt Nagy may have purposely sabotaged him and were calling for him to be fired.

If you want to go look at numbers, the players who take the most sacks every year are guys like Deshaun Watson, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers... guys who try to extend take sacks, it's not that big of a deal.

Dont pat yourself on the back too hard, anybody who hated Fields (like you and a few others) made that prediction lol.

Yeah The sacks are more related to OL play, play calling and bad pocket awareness. Not hero ball or him being athletic

Yea evidence over a full season w/a couple of the guys you mentioned...

Whereas Wentz' Sack results helped keep his overall EPA down (he led the league with like 50 total), Watson was 1 behind him w/49, yet he was 7th in EPA, only because those same traits bring his EPA down via sacks, pulled it way back up when making plays that score.

Russell Wilson had the 2nd worst deduction in Sack EPA, yet was 4th in overall EPA in the same season.

Don't really wanna hear about someone "projecting" that a rookie will have some growing pains on a subpar teams, but as always is the case, more #'s are needed for a clearer picture.
[ Edited by random49er on Dec 19, 2021 at 10:39 AM ]

LOL. Isn't that what I just said? And on an elevated level because he's a rookie. Duke just sounded surprised by that. Live and die by the legs until he learns what to do.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Yeah The sacks are more related to OL play, play calling and bad pocket awareness. Not hero ball or him being athletic

Come again? LOL

Come again? LOL

With Fields absolutely . It's a combo of all 3 of the above that are leading to the high sack #s
No one is claiming Fields is perfect or that he's even performed well, but I feel that given what he's had to deal with he's been great. His toughness and mental fortitude were the easiest things to project and he's proven that... I don't think that can be argued.

As far as his play on the field, you have to really dive into the all 22, listen to the postgame interviews and pay attention to the roster moves to really get the big picture. I live in Chicago, and when the 49ers aren't playing I watch the Bears. I feel I'm more informed to speak on Fields than most others, especially when you consider I've also seen every single snap of his college career.

What's clear is that Matt Nagy is an absolute moron who sets his quarterbacks up to fail. Fields doesn't trust his offensive line, which is why you see the inconsistency in the pocket. On one play he will sit there, go through his reads and deliver an absolute dime. The next play, his offensive line will he pushed into his face immediately and he will get sacked. There's just no consistency or identity to be able to accurately determine his play.

This guy does a solid job deep diving into Fields' sack numbers. How many are his fault, how is he under pressure, etc etc.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Come again? LOL

With Fields absolutely . It's a combo of all 3 of the above that are leading to the high sack #s

These. Are. Happy. Tears.
Personal comments are going to get you a time out. Settle down.
Share 49ersWebzone