LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 141 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by NTeply49:
Looking forward to the Lance vs Fields matchup. I live in Michigan so I might try to go to that game since it's the closest one this year.

This will be one of the most highly anticipated games in recent 49er history. It will be a referendum on our 2021 NFL Draft. You can bet Fields took note when the schedule came out. QBs don't forget teams passing them up. We should have the edge as we bring a top 3 D that should have matchup advantages and KS is facing a rook HC in his first game.
  • thl408
Fields will have an uphill battle. Well done, brutally honest analysis from a Bears fan.
Originally posted by thl408:
Fields will have an uphill battle. Well done, brutally honest analysis from a Bears fan.

Exactly why I keep saying the folks picking us to lose to Chicago are fully kidding themselves.

He won't be in league very long. So happy we didn't get dupped by this bum.
Originally posted by Strwy2Hevn:

Why do you have this take?

As a prep he was Mr. Georgia which means basically he's named the best HS football player in the state.

Fields was rated as a five-star recruit and was the highest rated dual-threat quarterback in the class of 2018 by ESPN, Rivals.com, and 247Sports.com.[4][5][6] ESPN listed him as the top recruit overall, while Rivals and 247Sports ranked him second behind fellow quarterback Trevor Lawrence.[7]

Elite HS prospect.. goes to Ohio State and balls out.. 20-2 as starter, 68%, had 41 TD passes to 3 INTs in 2019.

In 2020, 385 pass yds and 6 TDs vs Clemson in CFP.

Strong arm, 4.4s 40 time..

I think he is a very high end prospect.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jun 14, 2022 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

Why do you have this take?

As a prep he was Mr. Georgia which means basically he's named the best HS football player in the state.

Fields was rated as a five-star recruit and was the highest rated dual-threat quarterback in the class of 2018 by ESPN, Rivals.com, and 247Sports.com.[4][5][6] ESPN listed him as the top recruit overall, while Rivals and 247Sports ranked him second behind fellow quarterback Trevor Lawrence.[7]

Elite HS prospect.. goes to Ohio State and balls out.. 20-2 as starter, 68%, had 41 TD passes to 3 INTs in 2019.

In 2020, 385 pass yds and 6 TDs vs Clemson in CFP.

Strong arm, 4.4s 40 time..

I think he is a very high end prospect.

Watch the video posted. It was known and discussed a lot before drafted that he sucks unless he has all day to throw.
Watch the video posted. It was known and discussed a lot before drafted that he sucks unless he has all day to throw.

He was a rook. Lots of rooks either don't play (Mahomes, Rodgers, Lance) or don't play well and greatly improve (Josh Allen, Manning, Alex Smith, Trevor Lawrence). I wouldn't bury him yet.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Jun 15, 2022 at 9:10 AM ]
  • thl408

He was a rook. Lots of rooks either don't play (Mahomes, Rodgers, Lance) or don't play well and greatly improve (Josh Allen, Manning, Alex Smith, Trevor Lawrence). I wouldn't bury him yet.

I liked Fields coming out of college but did notice he had a tendency to hold the ball longer than the NFL would allow him to. I thought it was a byproduct of the OSU offense, but it seems like it has ill prepared him for the speed of the NFL. Being thrust into action with a weak supporting cast in CHI won't help him.

I liked Fields coming out of college but did notice he had a tendency to hold the ball longer than the NFL would allow him to. I thought it was a byproduct of the OSU offense, but it seems like it has ill prepared him for the speed of the NFL. Being thrust into action with a weak supporting cast in CHI won't help him.

He was definitely under prepared and/or overconfident in the speed of the NFL being he called it slow or slower than expected. He can improve for sure but I just don't see it. He hasn't changed from OSU at all.
  • thl408

He was definitely under prepared and/or overconfident in the speed of the NFL being he called it slow or slower than expected. He can improve for sure but I just don't see it. He hasn't changed from OSU at all.

Yeah that was a silly comment he made about the NFL being slower than he expected, or something like that, during the 2021 preseason.

I've always felt that he was NOT ready ... that O of Ohio State Offense was very QB friendly..

It was more about what he had to do in that OSU offense, then him just being bad under pressure. A lot of holding onto the ball was getting on the same page with his WRs on those choice routes (which they ran a s**t ton of).

You could conclude that a TON of successful college QBs didn't face much pressure in college and overall when they did it wasn't good. Lawrence, Wilson and yes even Jones had issues there just as well. Who knows many he can't process quick enough but he's really not even given a chance from what I saw.

Fields imo is setup for failure in Chicago, personnel wise it's a s**t show. We will see, damn shame imo
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 20, 2022 at 6:25 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

It was more about what he had to do in that OSU offense, then him just being bad under pressure. A lot of holding onto the ball was getting on the same page with his WRs on those choice routes (which they ran a s**t ton of).

You could conclude that a TON of successful college QBs didn't face much pressure in college and overall when they did it wasn't good. Lawrence, Wilson and yes even Jones had issues there just as well. Who knows many he can't process quick enough but he's really not even given a chance from what I saw.

Fields imo is setup for failure in Chicago, personnel wise it's a s**t show. We will see, damn shame imo

Double edge sword right? Play for a top team with top talent, the OC will formulate an offense to exploit it. With Fields, that offense had him holding the ball for so long knowing he could run if he wanted that it may have given him a holding the ball mindset. In Chicago its the exact opposite, he's got no time which sets him up more for seeing ghosts than success cause he has all the tools.

Yeesh that some brutal tape. Also a lot of salty bears fans in the comments lmfao

Seems like his problem of holding on to the ball too long is there, not surprisingly given that it's hard to break habits right away. But I do see why Kyle wasn't infatuated with fields. To be fair to him he has a new staff and while they didn't do much to help him when it comes to personnel, maybe a new scheme could help the team as a whole.

Good luck to him, he was my guy at first when we traded up to 3 but he's starting the season 0-1

thank god kyle passed on him
Share 49ersWebzone