There are 144 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

This guy sucks and I can't believe we lost to him.
One does not draft an Ohio St. QB. It is a real thing.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Trey BUST lost to him. Jimmy G beats him no doubt about it.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,500 for swoosh6996.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Agree on the Jimmy remark, but Trey ain't trending in bust territory like Fields is.
Originally posted by swoosh6996:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Agree on the Jimmy remark, but Trey ain't trending in bust territory like Fields is.

Again I'm an Ohio State fan and he may be trending toward being a bust but it isn't all on him.

Just saw Richard Sherman on YouTube shorts commenting after the game in which he said he doesn't understand what Getsy is doing with him. He's not putting him in positions to succeed and he's got next to nothing around him to help.

It's probably not unlike a Jeff Garcia situation actually. By that I mean Garcia went to San Jose State and I remember Bill Walsh liked him when he was there. I think this was after Bill went back and coached Stanford a second time. He remembered and saw a QB in Garcia who was essentially the whole team or the whole offense trying to do everything on his own.

Garcia of course went undrafted and went to the CFL before getting a chance with us years later. Not saying Fields will turn into that or should go to the CFL. Just saying your environment and your situation matters. I'm probably a little touchy even with the comment a couple above this about, "You don't draft a Ohio State QB." Well, you might as well almost not draft any QB if your organization has no idea what they're doing and the Bears apparently have no idea what they're doing. Years ago the Colts drafted one of the most Day One ready QB's to come into the draft in Andrew Luck and they still didn't put it all on him, drafting a lot of help to go along with him.

Fields would have probably been fine here or he'd be injured here like Lance. The whole, "not a leader thing", he had enough leadership to convince the Big Ten to decide to play some amount of football in 2020 after they were going to cancel the whole season. Blaming those around him, if he does, well so does Tom Brady for that matter. Or so did Brady his last year in New England.

But yeah so far it hasn't been great for him.
I did find this and it's pretty good.

The thing that jumps out is that Justin Fields has been pressured 46% of the time this season. Literally nearly half the time he drops back to pass, he gets pressured because his o-line can't sustain their blocks. NCommand had a good point I think in the Jimmy thread or in one of the threads about how no QB is going to be successful if they have a running game that averages less than 2.5 YPC and they get pressured at least 35% of the time. That's in a particular game. Justin Fields is getting pressured 46% of the time through 6 games this season. Which, as the article points out, is a higher rate than any starting QB ever since the stat was tracked going back to 2009.

That's why it kills me people saying, "he's a bust". Of course, people are also saying Trey's a bust. But "he's a bust or don't draft an Ohio State QB." No, you have to put a young QB in the right situation or yes, he may be a bust. Needless to say, playing QB in the NFL is pretty hard. Especially today when yes rules are geared to favor offenses but you also have complete athletic freaks trying to kill you on defense. It's one reason why I always shook my head at least a little with the "we've got to replace Jimmy crowd." Replace him with who? Are you somehow going to trade for Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers? We drafted a replacement whom we hope works out.

But if, and let's say it's true, if Kyle has to and basically successfully game plans and coaches around Jimmy's weaknesses or limitations/calls plays to his strengths, why the heck aren't the Bears doing that with Fields and that team? Of course, I also saw a video tidbit in which the coaching is absolved of blame because of the GM and his inability to put together anything resembling an average offensive line even or any weapons on offense outside of Mooney. Regardless, it's a mess and that's why it kills me, as an Ohio State fan,to see more ammunition in the " their QB's blow" category. No,you've got to put him in a situation a lot better than that one. He may indeed bust but it won't all be on him or on "Ohio State". Heck, look at Haskins at Washington. I think he was a bit of a head case and likely would have busted on his own. But that's another cesspool of a franchise with Daniel Snyder there. Since RG3 and Cousins they traded for Alex, who unfortunately had his leg broken. They played Taylor Heinicke last year. Now they're on the Carson Wentz experiment. They don't have a clue.

Anyway, here's the article I found. Kid's taking a beating. Maybe from at times holding the ball too long . But like the David Kaplan guy in the video said, he probably has PTSD from getting blasted all the time hoping among other things that our old friend Dante Pettis will actually do something on a football field that's good.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/justin-fields-giving-bears-everything-shameful-team-wont-do-same
The facts are the facts and no Ohio State QB has ever had a great NFL career. OSU excels at developing linemen, both offensive and defensive. They always seem to have good DBs, LBs and occasionally good receivers. All that talent makes the RBs and QBs look a lot better than they are.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The facts are the facts and no Ohio State QB has ever had a great NFL career. OSU excels at developing linemen, both offensive and defensive. They always seem to have good DBs, LBs and occasionally good receivers. All that talent makes the RBs and QBs look a lot better than they are.

The college thing is silly has been debunked multiple times. System and coaching when you get to the NFL matters.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

The college thing is silly has been debunked multiple times. System and coaching when you get to the NFL matters.

It may be silly but you can't deny that no OSU QB has been successful in the NFL. Many have looked like world beaters in college but they can't make it in the pros. Is it all because they end up on bad teams or get bad coaching? I think it's more that their flaws are hidden by the immense talent the OSU typically has on their roster.

As the person below pointed out, this is silly. The one thing you're correct on is no Ohio State QB has ever had a great NFL career. But most of their QB's were like most of Alabama's QB's always used to be. Bit players who were "nice"college QB's with fringe NFL skills to start with. Haskins we of course will sadly never know. Fields the jury is out. Almost every other Ohio State QB in my lifetime was a mid round pick in the draft. I think Bobby Hoying way back in the 90s was a high draft pick.

Joe Burrow went to Ohio State. Or does it only matter where the student athlete ends his collegiate career that determines if they will have success?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Joe Burrow went to Ohio State. Or does it only matter where the student athlete ends his collegiate career that determines if they will have success?

Those 29 passes he threw there really prepared him for the NFL.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

It may be silly but you can't deny that no OSU QB has been successful in the NFL. Many have looked like world beaters in college but they can't make it in the pros. Is it all because they end up on bad teams or get bad coaching? I think it's more that their flaws are hidden by the immense talent the OSU typically has on their roster.

Again, there really haven't been that many that looked like world beaters when it comes to NFL projectability. I mean, a guy who seems to still be a whipping boy sometimes around here, Ken Dorsey, looked like a world beater by that logic in college. I think at one time he held the record for wins and nearly won back to back national championships. Obviously surrounded by talent but also coming from a school that for a time was putting good quarterbacks into the league. Bernie Kosar, Vinnie Testaverde who started out horrible but wound up having a decent career. Jim Kelly who's a Hall of Famer. But Dorsey always had the weak arm by NFL standards.

In my lifetime and time watching football the two quarterbacks, maybe three or four that looked like world beaters who could do something in the NFL were Dwayne Haskins and Justin Fields. Haskins was an immature guy and that was his problem. Maybe Troy Smith, and I honestly as a guy who's no QB evaluator don't know why he was selected so low and didn't pan out. Terrelle Pryor did have all the physical talent but even in college wasn't always the most consistent throwing the ball and again was a head case. But guys who were pretty good or really good in college, Joe Germaine, J.T. Barrett, you appreciated what they did there but you knew they would have an uphill climb in the NFL.

I'll grant you that no Ohio State QB has really succeeded in the NFL. I mean Mike Tomczak was the best one. But again it's not like they have been pumping out guys taken in the first round. They're starting to with Haskins, Fields, and Stroud when he comes out. So that will tell the tale one way or the other. But when you take a QB in the 3rd, 4th, 5th round, you're usually looking at CJ Beathard type QB's more so than Brady's. They're guys that no one is looking at them even when they draft him saying "This is our future guy." Not as a rule anyway. Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th round but he was a "bonus" pick in the RG3 draft by Washington and if RG3 doesn't tear his knee, who knows? You take that future guy in the first round almost ten times out of ten. So when people call Ohio State QB's "busts", I mean I guess if you want to say they really didn't even hang on as back ups a lot of the time. But they weren't these colossal flame outs that people like to claim.

Our old friend Trent Dilfer actually graded Fields as more positive than negative in a game in which everyone said he was "terrible."https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFeA3J5I7k0

He also said that every QB, young QB, who gets subpar pass protection either gets broken like David Carr or regresses.

Which btw, everyone even talks about Jimmy and "happy feet" and no he's not a young QB but do to being a backup to start his career and his own injuries he hasn't been on the field a ton and his pass protection hasn't always been great and that's going to lead to some bad habits and maybe some cluttered vision and decision making on the field as a QB. Then again, you look at a game like yesterday when we lost but he reportedly had a pretty clean pocket and pretty much no one is blaming him and even say he played pretty well. It's a reason why I wasn't crazy about putting essentially still a rookie QB in Lance behind Banks, Brendel, and Buford. Now impressively, the line has held up much better in pass pro this season then I think any of us would have imagined. Particularly with big Trent out.
More and more Fields' situation is reminding me of Alex Smith. JF is playing for a defensive coach on a bad team with little support around him. Clearly, he needs coaching and play-calling support to put him in better situations. However, I don't see any hope for that right now. Too bad.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
I did find this and it's pretty good.

The thing that jumps out is that Justin Fields has been pressured 46% of the time this season. Literally nearly half the time he drops back to pass, he gets pressured because his o-line can't sustain their blocks. NCommand had a good point I think in the Jimmy thread or in one of the threads about how no QB is going to be successful if they have a running game that averages less than 2.5 YPC and they get pressured at least 35% of the time. That's in a particular game. Justin Fields is getting pressured 46% of the time through 6 games this season. Which, as the article points out, is a higher rate than any starting QB ever since the stat was tracked going back to 2009.

That's why it kills me people saying, "he's a bust". Of course, people are also saying Trey's a bust. But "he's a bust or don't draft an Ohio State QB." No, you have to put a young QB in the right situation or yes, he may be a bust. Needless to say, playing QB in the NFL is pretty hard. Especially today when yes rules are geared to favor offenses but you also have complete athletic freaks trying to kill you on defense. It's one reason why I always shook my head at least a little with the "we've got to replace Jimmy crowd." Replace him with who? Are you somehow going to trade for Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers? We drafted a replacement whom we hope works out.

But if, and let's say it's true, if Kyle has to and basically successfully game plans and coaches around Jimmy's weaknesses or limitations/calls plays to his strengths, why the heck aren't the Bears doing that with Fields and that team? Of course, I also saw a video tidbit in which the coaching is absolved of blame because of the GM and his inability to put together anything resembling an average offensive line even or any weapons on offense outside of Mooney. Regardless, it's a mess and that's why it kills me, as an Ohio State fan,to see more ammunition in the " their QB's blow" category. No,you've got to put him in a situation a lot better than that one. He may indeed bust but it won't all be on him or on "Ohio State". Heck, look at Haskins at Washington. I think he was a bit of a head case and likely would have busted on his own. But that's another cesspool of a franchise with Daniel Snyder there. Since RG3 and Cousins they traded for Alex, who unfortunately had his leg broken. They played Taylor Heinicke last year. Now they're on the Carson Wentz experiment. They don't have a clue.

Anyway, here's the article I found. Kid's taking a beating. Maybe from at times holding the ball too long . But like the David Kaplan guy in the video said, he probably has PTSD from getting blasted all the time hoping among other things that our old friend Dante Pettis will actually do something on a football field that's good.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/justin-fields-giving-bears-everything-shameful-team-wont-do-same

He's also holding the ball much longer than every other QB. There is no doubt that is leading directly to the pressures. You would need his consistent TTT stats to know how quickly the pressure is coming.
Share 49ersWebzone