There are 230 users in the forums

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Justin Fields QB - Ohio State

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
I did find this and it's pretty good.

The thing that jumps out is that Justin Fields has been pressured 46% of the time this season. Literally nearly half the time he drops back to pass, he gets pressured because his o-line can't sustain their blocks. NCommand had a good point I think in the Jimmy thread or in one of the threads about how no QB is going to be successful if they have a running game that averages less than 2.5 YPC and they get pressured at least 35% of the time. That's in a particular game. Justin Fields is getting pressured 46% of the time through 6 games this season. Which, as the article points out, is a higher rate than any starting QB ever since the stat was tracked going back to 2009.

That's why it kills me people saying, "he's a bust". Of course, people are also saying Trey's a bust. But "he's a bust or don't draft an Ohio State QB." No, you have to put a young QB in the right situation or yes, he may be a bust. Needless to say, playing QB in the NFL is pretty hard. Especially today when yes rules are geared to favor offenses but you also have complete athletic freaks trying to kill you on defense. It's one reason why I always shook my head at least a little with the "we've got to replace Jimmy crowd." Replace him with who? Are you somehow going to trade for Mahomes or Aaron Rodgers? We drafted a replacement whom we hope works out.

But if, and let's say it's true, if Kyle has to and basically successfully game plans and coaches around Jimmy's weaknesses or limitations/calls plays to his strengths, why the heck aren't the Bears doing that with Fields and that team? Of course, I also saw a video tidbit in which the coaching is absolved of blame because of the GM and his inability to put together anything resembling an average offensive line even or any weapons on offense outside of Mooney. Regardless, it's a mess and that's why it kills me, as an Ohio State fan,to see more ammunition in the " their QB's blow" category. No,you've got to put him in a situation a lot better than that one. He may indeed bust but it won't all be on him or on "Ohio State". Heck, look at Haskins at Washington. I think he was a bit of a head case and likely would have busted on his own. But that's another cesspool of a franchise with Daniel Snyder there. Since RG3 and Cousins they traded for Alex, who unfortunately had his leg broken. They played Taylor Heinicke last year. Now they're on the Carson Wentz experiment. They don't have a clue.

Anyway, here's the article I found. Kid's taking a beating. Maybe from at times holding the ball too long . But like the David Kaplan guy in the video said, he probably has PTSD from getting blasted all the time hoping among other things that our old friend Dante Pettis will actually do something on a football field that's good.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/justin-fields-giving-bears-everything-shameful-team-wont-do-same

He's also holding the ball much longer than every other QB. There is no doubt that is leading directly to the pressures. You would need his consistent TTT stats to know how quickly the pressure is coming.

That is probably fair.

But I have to believe that one thing that does happen with Ohio State QB's, or Alabama QB's, or any school that routinely blows out the majority of their regular schedule is they go to a BAD team with a bad offensive line and not very good receivers is they DO start second guessing things because that didn't happen in college. They had better pass protection and guys got open a lot quicker and made plays. That's not Ohio State QB'S blow. That is shell shocking a young passer regardless of school.
The 49ers passed on Fields because of the mental side. And that's why he gets sacked so much. But raw talent? He's on Jackson's level. The guy is incredibly talented.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
The 49ers passed on Fields because of the mental side. And that's why he gets sacked so much. But raw talent? He's on Jackson's level. The guy is incredibly talented.

I'm not sure what you are referring to but I also am not sure that's accurate to begin with. I remember Mark Sanchez coming out and saying that Justin Fields had the highest aptitude/grade out of 6,500 athletes ever on "mental test" and even with some of the slow processing/one read criticisms he faced in college I saw where one individual went through some of Ohio State's playbook to see what his progressions and reads are supposed to be and said they had some insanely complex plays for a college QB to memorize. Now obviously not necessarily every one.

He'll need to be better than he's been but he still needs a lot of help and there are people who see improvement.

I think the Niners were just more impressed with how Trey came off in talking to him and that is why they chose him.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

I'm not sure what you are referring to but I also am not sure that's accurate to begin with. I remember Mark Sanchez coming out and saying that Justin Fields had the highest aptitude/grade out of 6,500 athletes ever on "mental test" and even with some of the slow processing/one read criticisms he faced in college I saw where one individual went through some of Ohio State's playbook to see what his progressions and reads are supposed to be and said they had some insanely complex plays for a college QB to memorize. Now obviously not necessarily every one.

He'll need to be better than he's been but he still needs a lot of help and there are people who see improvement.

I think the Niners were just more impressed with how Trey came off in talking to him and that is why they chose him.

Not talking about book smarts. And you can see it loud and clear by watching him: either either goes through progressions too fast, or he's too slow to react.

lamar is a way better passer, better throwing motion, better touch, etc.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

lamar is a way better passer, better throwing motion, better touch, etc.

I don't think I fully agree with that. Fields' problems, I feel, come for the same reason lots of young QBs are "inaccurate:" it's not that the ball doesn't go where they want it to (accuracy), it's that their sense of timing is off because of NFL speed and NFL pass rush pressure.
This guy has turned a corner the last few weeks and I sort of believe he will get even better
Originally posted by Bitplayer:
This guy has turned a corner the last few weeks and I sort of believe he will get even better

WHAT CORNER?

He was a rookie last year who happened to be playing for a sorry team... Tua was the same.. FLORES did not believe in him..

Personally, I just thought that everyone expected an instant success from these young QBs.. Both Fields and Tua shows improvement but they have yet to arrive..
Originally posted by 9moon:

WHAT CORNER?

He was a rookie last year who happened to be playing for a sorry team... Tua was the same.. FLORES did not believe in him..

Personally, I just thought that everyone expected an instant success from these young QBs.. Both Fields and Tua shows improvement but they have yet to arrive..

Gotta agree. These things take time. Id wait 4 years b4 doing final judgment on a QB.
This thread still cant gradaute/combine with the NFL forum thread?

ya 153 yards 1 td 1 int is an amazing accomplishment
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

ya 153 yards 1 td 1 int is an amazing accomplishment

Maybe next time... IDK... watch the game?
He suffered a shoulder injury but not sure how serious. He also had hamstring issues during this game.
He still has a long way to go passing the ball but they got nothing there. Let's see what he does when they upgrade his receiving core like Miami did with Tua.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
He still has a long way to go passing the ball but they got nothing there. Let's see what he does when they upgrade his receiving core like Miami did with Tua.

He certainly is fun to watch, but he would drive Shanahan crazy. Nearly every big play he makes is off schedule.
Share 49ersWebzone