Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

• zero
  • Veteran
Once he carves up my tigers next weekend I'll finally be on board
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

That's a great throw.
I am leery of any qb from Alabama or USC. They are surrounded by so much talent that they dominate at the college level. Name a recent alabama or USC qb dominating in the NFL. Cal Berkeley has less talent, but the qb's shine in the nfl, Aaron rodgers and Jared Goff. Heck Texas Tech has put out better pro qb's than USC or Alabama
Originally posted by 9erred:
I am leery of any qb from Alabama or USC. They are surrounded by so much talent that they dominate at the college level. Name a recent alabama or USC qb dominating in the NFL. Cal Berkeley has less talent, but the qb's shine in the nfl, Aaron rodgers and Jared Goff. Heck Texas Tech has put out better pro qb's than USC or Alabama

Yeah, that's a terrible take.

Texas Tech QBs in the NFL prior to Pat Mahomes

BJ Symons
Kliff Kingsbury
Billy Joe Tolliver
Ron Reeves
Joe Barnes

Clemson QB's in the NFL prior to Deshaun Watson

Tajh Boyd
Charlie Whitehurst
Steve Fuller
Homer Jordan

Cal QB's in the NFL prior to Aaron Rodgers

Kyle Boller
Pat Barnes
Dave Barr
Mike Pawlawski
Troy Taylor
Rich Campbell

Wisconsin QB's in the NFL prior to Russell Wilson

Jim Sorgi
Brooks Bollinger
Bud Keyes
Randy Wright
Neill Graff
Previous 9er regimes took Smiths now they are going Jones
He will be mackin on NFL defenses
Come on down!
depending on bowl games, possibly the only realistic draft option if going QB. Unless we wanna do away with 3 1s with the holes we have, no thanks.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Yeah that Kyle Boller, he really shined brightly. Goff just got outplayed by Nick Mullens.

As always, you evaluate the player, not the school or the system. Since you brought up Rodgers, one of the most popular talking points about drafting him was how many Tedford QB's had busted in the NFL. Unlike with Bama, there was a string of numerous 1st round busts to point to. You had Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Boller, David Carr and Joey Harrington, all who failed in the NFL after having been early picks.

Texas Tech didn't have a single QB of note before Pat Mahomes. Lots of Bama QB's have had success, exactly how many were thought highly of to be 1st or 2nd rounders? That is the difference. You can be tremendous in college and still not rate out as a high NFL draft pick because your skills don't translate to the next level.

Prior to the most recent draft where you had Tua going in the 1st round, who were all these high pick Bama QB's? AJ McCarron was a 5th rounder, Greg McElroy was a 7th rounder. They were all drafted appropriately based on their skill levels, having mostly played in run heavy offenses with minimal passing. Bama over the past couple of years has changed to a pass happy offense that has a lot in common with many current NFL offenses.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Bye bye Zach Wilson, C'mon down Mac Jones.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Bye bye Zach Wilson, C'mon down Mac Jones.

This... I was hoping for a chance to trade down and still get Jones, but I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger and letting him sit a year behind Jimmy and stacking the O-line with prospects and hope for a decent O-line going forward.

Originally posted by irishluder:
This... I was hoping for a chance to trade down and still get Jones, but I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger and letting him sit a year behind Jimmy and stacking the O-line with prospects and hope for a decent O-line going forward.

I wouldn't be shocked if Jones winds up as a 2nd-3rd rounder when all is said and done. No matter how well he plays, its never going to be super flashy, he doesn't have a cannon arm and he will get over-analyzed to death because of where he plays but he's perfectly capable of running anything in Shanahan's playbook.
I was hoping for Wilson, but on to Jones. Have to check him out more. Love it if we could get Horn CB in the first and then Jones in 2nd. If Saleh gets the Detroit job, we could end up with a 3rd too for OL
Share 49ersWebzone