LISTEN: What Brock Purdy's Contract Means For The 49ers Roster →

There are 213 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Jaguars

Originally posted by socal1632:
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by evil:

You are trying wayyyyy to hard. That is not "fat", thicc yes but not fat.

This is what a fat QB looks like :

Jesus H C—st son.

Bruh this guy is the QB AND the mascot
Originally posted by Rathof44:
If he thinks he has Matt Ryan traits, that's great.
Anyone recognize these names: Kevin Challenger, Brandon Robinson, Rich Gunnell, Clarence Megwa? Matt Ryan's WRs in 2007, not exactly Smith and Waddle. Andre Callender? anyone? Ryan's starting RB. Basically zero NFL skill players on that team. Ryan still performed.. Point is that hoping the traits are what Kyle is banking on with Jones and not the glamorous stats from playing alongside three NFL first rounders.

Dude he said traits not stats. Jones stats were off the charts insane. Best qbr of all time. Yeah he played with a great team but you literally can't do any better than best of all time stat wise and undefeated in terms of record.
Originally posted by Scratch:
I just don't see the logic behind moving all the way up (#3) to take Jones. Don't get me wrong, I love him as a prospect. I even have him as the #3 rated QB. I think he has the highest floor in this year's class. However, he has the lowest upside of any of the top 4 guys. I have this year's class rated as followed:

1. Wilson
2. Lawrence
3. Jones
4. Fields
5. Mond
6. Lance

The thing that makes me scratch my head is that Garoppolo is basically the same player as Jones when healthy. Pocket passers with average athleticism. Jones throws a better deep ball but Garoppolo is better at the anticipatory and play-action throws. I understand that health is a very important factor in Lynch's decision to make a change at the QB position. Money is as well. However, I don't think Jones allows Shanahan to vastly open up the playbook and add a new dimension to this offense. I don't think you make a move that bold to take a player with a somewhat limited ceiling that is also similar to what you already have in Garoppolo. That's what makes me think something happened to make Lynch pull the trigger on a trade at this specific point in time. He has to have some sort of intel of what was going to happen at the top of the draft. It's pretty much common knowledge that Jacksonville is going with Lawrence. Do they love Wilson and found out that he will be there at #3 because the Jets will take Fields at #2? Are the Jets in love with someone like Sewell or Parsons (possible but not likely) thus leaving Wilson available at #3? Is Fields the 49ers guy and they found out that the Jets are taking Wilson?

Here is my thinking of the situation. Things point to Fields being the 49ers guy. Just hear me out:

I would agree with most that the Jets are likely going for Wilson at #2. My guess is that Lynch was tipped off on it well before Wilson's pro day. It was probably in early March. That's when Lynch said they really started exploring moving up. Having known that, they knew Fields was at a minimum going to be available at #3. There has also been reports that the 49ers explored moving up to #4, #5 and #6 prior to making the deal to #3. This makes sense. They obviously wanted to get ahead of Denver (#9), Carolina (#8) and Detroit (#7). All of those teams could possibly take a QB. Here is where you can really start to piece together the move Lynch made all the way up to #3 and why. We know the 49ers could have traded up to #6 (PHI) because the Eagles ended up trading their pick to Miami. They were clearly open for moving back. Obviously, the 49ers didn't move to #6 because there are 3 picks between the Jets at #2 and that pick. There would be a chance that someone could leapfrog them and take Fields in that range. Then you look at Cincinnati at #5. Maybe they were open to trade or maybe they wanted to stay put. Either way, it is irrelevant. That would still leave Atlanta at #4 and Miami at #3 as spots where someone cold leapfrog them again. Now we know that's true because Miami was obviously shopping #3. That's why the 49ers didn't move up to #5. Then comes the most important part of the equation. I think Atlanta is the main factor behind the reason to move all the way up to #3. I'm almost certain Lynch tried to gauge interest in getting #4 from Atlanta and was denied. This likely let him know that Atlanta is looking to pick up a QB and Fields is someone they would probably covet. He is a GA kid and many outlets have connected him to the Falcons. You might ask: "Miami was clearly open for business, why wouldn't Atlanta just trade with Miami up to #3 to make sure they got Fields?" Your answer is that Miami couldn't get the same return as what they got from San Francisco. Atlanta isn't going to give up two future firsts to move up one spot. That's why the 49ers had to pay so much in draft capital to move all the way up to #3.

Although I have Jones rated higher, I understand the upside Fields brings to Shanahan.

Lol first, Jimmy and Mac have very little in common other than both being pocket QB's.

I do agree that Fields might be Shanny's guy and we jumped Atlanta because they refused to trade with us, basically showing their hand. That's a very plausible scenario and I wouldn't be upset. It would also make sense to keep Jimmy around for one more season if they selected Fields, like Lynch and Kyle have discussed today.
To add onto to the two first round picks we gave up for him.... You can't look at this in a bubble. We're replacing Jimmy's $25m cap number with a $6m rookie deal. So instead of using those next two first round picks to try to replace a bosa or warner or deebo cause we're not gonna be able to afford them now we'll just resign our studs instead. The problem with hitting big on lower round guys like Warner and kittle is eventually you have to pay them or lose them. We're gonna pay them thanks to this trade.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by KID9R:
Man, what Chris Simms says here at 39:00 is everything I need to hear.

"He's the quickest decision maker I've ever seen. His arm is better than Joe Burrow." ~ CS

He also thinks Zac Wilson is better than Trevor Lawrence. Do you agree with that as well?

Sure. It was splitting hairs for him.

I certainly do. Wilson is 1 on my board too. God bless Lawrence and his duel threat ability, but I feel like Wilson is a less talented Mahomes. I expect with the right coaches, Wilson will be competing to be in that top 8 crowd within three years.
Lol you'd have to be a hell of a gambler to take Wilson over Lawrence. Tl is a John Elway/Andrew Luck once a decade guy. I love Wilson but he's nowhere near that level. He might be the next Aaron Rodgers but Lawrence is as sure of a thing as you'll find in the draft.

"He's the quickest decision maker I've ever seen. His arm is better than Joe Burrow." ~ CS

Here's my processing as the Bama QB,: "I have the two best WRs in the nation and the number 1 RB, I think I'm going to get it to one of those guys."

You CLEARLY haven't watched any tape then.

Honestly I feel kind of embarrassed for some of these guys. The only downside to Jones is the possibility that one of the other two will be transcendent, HoF potential guys like Mahomes and Watson -- which is long odds regardless. Jones is great at pocket stuff, but not so great at physical stuff. The other guys can compensate for the less than stellar pocket stuff (in comparison) with their legs, it's true. But if THEY will improve in the pocket stuff (as so many here are projecting), so will Jones. And he's already good at it.
Originally posted by roasthawg:
Lol you'd have to be a hell of a gambler to take Wilson over Lawrence. Tl is a John Elway/Andrew Luck once a decade guy. I love Wilson but he's nowhere near that level. He might be the next Aaron Rodgers but Lawrence is as sure of a thing as you'll find in the draft.

It's a gamble for sure. But I see an improvisational streak in Wilson that is rare. Of course that can backfire spectacularly.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Here's my processing as the Bama QB,: "I have the two best WRs in the nation and the number 1 RB, I think I'm going to get it to one of those guys."

Honestly I feel kind of embarrassed for some of these guys. The only downside to Jones is the possibility that one of the other two will be transcendent, HoF potential guys like Mahomes and Watson -- which is long odds regardless. Jones is great at pocket stuff, but not so great at physical stuff. The other guys can compensate for the less than stellar pocket stuff (in comparison) with their legs, it's true. But if THEY will improve in the pocket stuff (as so many here are projecting), so will Jones. And he's already good at it.

The guys you feel embarrassed for have as much chance as being right as you: 50/50. Sell it however you want. Two sides to this, those of us not annoiting him the next Peyton and those who are. Personally I'd be happy with Rivers/Ryan. Time will tell my man. First round QBs fail to be the franchise QB 50% of time since 2011. I'm fine eating crow if I'm wrong, been wrong before. I'm also fine spouting off like Ol Faithful if I'm right. For the sake of the franchise I hope I have no clue.
You guys are letting the QB market dictate how good some of these guys actually are. Mac Jones is a 3rd rounder in most drafts and is significantly less talented than the rest of the Tier 1 group.

This thread is getting a bit ridiculous. Mac Jones did look good this year, but damn! He's been at the school for 3 years in the same offense with a first round WR at every spot!

I'm tired if hearing this is what Shanahan wants. If you pass over 3 elite players at the position for Mac Jones, I'm stripping Kyle of the genius title. I'll still love him as a fan🙂.

It goes Lawrence, Fields, and then Wilson. Everyone is assuming Jets are taking Wilson because the media said so. I think they are taking Fields. Whether we get Fields or Wilson, we win.

Quit this Mac is pro ready bull. Any QB on this list would have done just as much if not more than Mac did at Alabama.
Originally posted by KID9R:
You are late to the party lol.

He is the best at quickly — and correctly — going through progressions and finding the open guy.

For an example of a contrast, Lance will go through progressions and skip a wide open guy, or fail to see an obvious wide open hot route during a blitz.

There is nothing uncontroversial about this. Everyone who has put in some time watching these guys sees this.

Each has strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, to me any one of them can find success here, and each of them needs to improve on things and will need to compensate for weaknesses.
He had two top 12 picks at WR, they were always open!
lol what the hell does that mean? Nothing, uncontroversial? Do you mean it's controversial?
And while the other two QBs can be coached up on the progression part of the game, you can't coach up Jones' lacking arm strength or mobility.
You can try to justify Jones all you want, but there's NO WAY he's has talent worthy of 3 first round picks.
And before this trade, almost nobody considered him the 3rd best QB

If you think Jones didn't throw into tight windows it's because you didn't watch much of him.

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
You guys are letting the QB market dictate how good some of these guys actually are. Mac Jones is a 3rd rounder in most drafts and is significantly less talented than the rest of the Tier 1 group.

Uhh, I don't think you're entitled to that opinion.......

The guys you feel embarrassed for have as much chance as being right as you: 50/50. Sell it however you want. Two sides to this, those of us not annoiting him the next Peyton and those who are. Personally I'd be happy with Rivers/Ryan. Time will tell my man. First round QBs fail to be the franchise QB 50% of time since 2011. I'm fine eating crow if I'm wrong, been wrong before. I'm also fine spouting off like Ol Faithful if I'm right. For the sake of the franchise I hope I have no clue.

Saying Jones is 3rd day quality is asinine. If the shoe fits, wear it. He might "truly" only be a late first round value in a vacuum, but there's no way he isn't at least that.
Originally posted by leonbanton:
This thread is getting a bit ridiculous. Mac Jones did look good this year, but damn! He's been at the school for 3 years in the same offense with a first round WR at every spot!

I'm tired if hearing this is what Shanahan wants. If you pass over 3 elite players at the position for Mac Jones, I'm stripping Kyle of the genius title. I'll still love him as a fan🙂.

It goes Lawrence, Fields, and then Wilson. Everyone is assuming Jets are taking Wilson because the media said so. I think they are taking Fields. Whether we get Fields or Wilson, we win.

Quit this Mac is pro ready bull. Any QB on this list would have done just as much if not more than Mac did at Alabama.

You are also not entitled to that view point. 😜
Share 49ersWebzone