LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 95 users in the forums

QB Class 2021

Originally posted by krizay:
Agreed and I'm slowly but surely dipping my toe in the Fields pool

Come on in...The waters fine!

Originally posted by NCommand:

Having listened to it he's convinced me that he watched more games than I expected him to. I don't think he's doing it for clicks, but still think he's trying to make some waves

He really hasn't factored in upside for me, but I understand it. Not my list but I feel better having listened to it
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Having listened to it he's convinced me that he watched more games than I expected him to. I don't think he's doing it for clicks, but still think he's trying to make some waves

He really hasn't factored in upside for me, but I understand it. Not my list but I feel better having listened to it

Yeah, he's really genuine in his QB assessments. He's certainly been controversial but more because his views after watching the tape, don't always match the public views. He reminds me of Crocker on his past WR/CB assessments.

I wish more QB's were assessed up against the ideal (and realistic) teams they'd go to vs. against each other.

So much is about system-fit with their own unique skill sets.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 4, 2021 at 3:47 PM ]
Yeah, he's really genuine in his QB assessments. He's certainly been controversial but more because his views after watching the tape, don't always match the public views. He reminds me of Crocker on his past WR/CB assessments.

I wish more QB's were assessed up against the ideal (and realistic) teams they'd go to vs. against each other.

Couldn't agree more. When guys like Simms are making lists it doesn't really mean much...scheme/roster/coaching matter so much.

having Lamar as his #1 QB is a prime example, he gets taken by the Jets with Gase and we're calling him a bust without question.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 4, 2021 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Couldn't agree more. When guys like Simms are making lists it doesn't really mean much...scheme/roster/coaching matter so much.

having Lamar as his #1 QB is a prime example, he gets taken by the Jets with Gase and we're calling him a bust without question.

100%
Originally posted by krizay:
Agreed and I'm slowly but surely dipping my toe in the Fields pool

Come on in...The waters fine!

Anyone claiming a qb, especially not the first one taken, in the first round a "slam dunk" is ridiculous.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Anyone claiming a qb, especially not the first one taken, in the first round a "slam dunk" is ridiculous.

He was saying it's a slam dunk as far as a fit in the offense ATL will be running.
Originally posted by ltrain:

Even then it's barely 50%. There have been 15 QBs taken number 1 overall since 1999: Tim Couch, David Carr, Jamarcus Russell, Sam Bradford, Alex Smith. Jared Goff, Jameis Winston, Carson Palmer, Matt Stafford, Eli Manning, Andrew Luck, Mike Vick, Cam Newton, Kyler Murray, and Joe Burrow.

Great (1): Luck
Very Good (6): Palmer, Stafford, Murray, Newton, Vick, Burrow
Good (1): Eli Manning (argument could be made for very good at times)
Average (2): Smith, Goff,
Below Average (2): Bradford, Winston
Terrible (3): Couch, Russell, Carr

The Ringer has an article up, in the past 9 drafts the first QB taken has ended up being the best QB only twice AND they count Jameis as being the best QB in his class over Mariota. The other is Kyler Murray: https://www.theringer.com/2021/3/3/22311366/quarterback-draft-history-success-rate-trevor-lawrence

Some quibbles, Luck's injuries and short career probably make Wilson look better. Burrow could still easily pass Herbert, etc. but the point stands.
[ Edited by Digger on Mar 5, 2021 at 12:28 PM ]

Would be crazy if it fell as such with this being QB3 through 5.
Originally posted by Digger:
The Ringer has an article up, in the past 9 drafts the first QB taken has ended up being the best QB only twice AND they count Jameis as being the best QB in his class over Mariota. The other is Kyler Murray: https://www.theringer.com/2021/3/3/22311366/quarterback-draft-history-success-rate-trevor-lawrence

Some quibbles, Luck's injuries and short career probably make Wilson look better. Burrow could still easily pass Herbert, etc. but the point stands.

This doesnt tell us anything, really. As prospects, most often scouts get it right. What you can't account for as prospects is the situation they land in, and that's why the first QB taken is rarely the best; the first team taking a QB is usually the worst.
Wow. That puts things into perspective.

Not sure if you guys agree.

Share 49ersWebzone