QB,G,T,C, DE

Don't sleep on K.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Originally posted by 16to87:
QB,G,T,C, DE

Don't sleep on K.

I sleep on Ketamine all the time, wdym?
QB OL QB OL QB OL
1. We will probably pick in the top 10. I'm guessing around 8. Just don't see us winning again unless the last game is also meaningless for seattle.
2. I would love for it to be a QB (Wilson) but I just don't see them moving on from Jimmy that quickly. His biggest problem is his health so I could see them solidify the oline to protect Jimmy and make the run game better. But MM is on one side and I think they will try hard to resign Williams. So with a top 10 pick I can't see them taking a center or a guard, although I think they will address it in the draft later.
3. Edge Rusher on the opposite side of Bosa would be huge and I think that's a possibility. However, In my initial search of studying the prospects, I don't see a game changing edge rusher in the top 10 to justify the pick.
4. No RB or WR or interior DL.
5. That leaves me with DB or safety or replacing Trent Williams if he doesn't get resigned. Top 10 safeties are meh this year and resigning Williams makes a ton of sense so I guess the first round pick will be a DB. It's a big need and there's a couple in the range of where we pick.
6. Center needs to be addressed through FA or the draft as well as additional DB help.
7. I wish we did draft Zach Wilson. I like Jimmy G but he gets hurt a lot. Mahomes and Kareem hunt were my draft crushes when they came out. They turned out to be studs. I remember seeing Russell Wilson throw the deep ball at Wisconsin and thinking he would be good... I just discredited him because all the experts said he was too short. Zach Wilson seems to have this feel for the game like they do. QB is hard position to evaluate in the draft. Wilson seems to have the eyes in the back of his head and moxy that he knows he can ball. I'm hopeful it's him but even if not, the Niners still have to draft someone later in the draft because if Jimmy goes down, Mullens and beathard don't cut it. This team can win now if we have a QB/backup QB to run the system correctly.
QB or OL or TE or WR or RB or DL or LB or CB or S
We ain't getting a QB round one. Likely an undervalued mobile QB with upside in round three.

We will likely continue to beef up the DL and the second level of the defense the first couple rounds. Hit on QB second round then the last four rounds we'll look at playmakers on offense and depth on defense and ST

They'll give Jimmy one more year because he's at worst a mid level starting QB with a full offseason to prepare but it will be good having teams think we're looking for a QB first round when we'll likely be looking in the third. We should get some compensatory selections with all the free agents that's gonna be walking
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We ain't getting a QB round one. Likely an undervalued mobile QB with upside in round three.

We will likely continue to beef up the DL and the second level of the defense the first couple rounds. Hit on QB second round then the last four rounds we'll look at playmakers on offense and depth on defense and ST

They'll give Jimmy one more year because he's at worst a mid level starting QB with a full offseason to prepare but it will be good having teams think we're looking for a QB first round when we'll likely be looking in the third. We should get some compensatory selections with all the free agents that's gonna be walking

Going after QBs after R1 is an exercise in futility. Odds are so far against success. Since the 2016 draft 62 QBs have been drafted. Of those, 16 were first rounders. 11 of those 16 have been successful NFL QBs: Watson, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz*, Murray, Jackson, Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Mayfield and Allen. Gave Wentz the benefit of the doubt since he had a few good seasons. Also left Jordan Love out since he has not played. Of the other 46 draftred QBs in the next 6 roounds, two have been successful : Prescott (R4) and Hurts, so far (R2).

What you get drafting QBs after R2 is a cornucopia of garbage: Tanner Lee, Tony Stevens, Brad Kaaya, Clayton Thorson, Danny Etling, Connor Cook, CJ Beathard, Alex McGough, Mike White, Logan Woodside, Chrisitan Hackenberg, Cardale Jones, etc......household names, I know. Actually just hot garbage.

Success rate in R1: 69%
Success Rate after R1: 4%

Buy once cry once, versus chasing rainbows. Time to pay up. . Smart man once told me: "Cheap tools are good, good tools aren't cheap"
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Dec 23, 2020 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Going after QBs after R1 is an exercise in futility. Odds are so far against success. Since the 2016 draft 62 QBs have been drafted. Of those, 16 were first rounders. 11 of those 16 have been successful NFL QBs: Watson, Mahomes, Goff, Wentz*, Murray, Jackson, Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Mayfield and Allen. Gave Wentz the benefit of the doubt since he had a few good seasons. Also left Jordan Love out since he has not played. Of the other 46 draftred QBs in the next 6 roounds, two have been successful : Prescott (R4) and Hurst, so far (R2).

What you get drafting QBs after R2 is a cornucopia of garbage: Tanner Lee, Tony Stevens, Brad Kaaya, Clayton Thorson, Danny Etling, Connor Cook, CJ Beathard, Alex McGough, Mike White, Logan Woodside, Chrisitan Hackenberg, Cardale Jones, etc......household names, I know. Actually just hot garbage.

Success rate in R1: 69%
Success Rate after R1: 4%

Buy once cry once, versus chasing rainbows. Time to pay up. . Smart man once told me: "Cheap tools are good, good tools aren't cheap"

Small window, but I'm sure it's probably the same over a longer period of time because I'm only coming up with Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins if we go back to 2010. I think if you are going after round 2, it better be a someone who has first round talent, but isn't drafted there for whatever reason (for example, height in the case of Wilson). Solid post. And very sobering.
The truth is last year and this year constituted the "window" for success for the team as currently built. Trading up for a QB will destroy any chance we have at shoring up any other part of our team as we potentially lose almost our entire secondary, pray that our best defensive player returns from ACL surgery on time and at 100%, desperately search for starting OLinemen that can actually pass block, budget money we probably won't have to resign Warner, Verrett, T. Williams, K. Williams, Hyder and DJ Jones, and add some WRs and RBs to help keep quality depth at positions that have been getting decimated by injuries all year. However, if we do choose get a QB in the draft it needs to be a high pick, and honestly the only QBs I see that are a potential upgrade over Garoppolo are Lawrence and Wilson, both of whom will likely be gone. Better to keep Jimmy G and upgrade both lines and fill out the secondary. We will still be competitive and can focus on QB after we get past the dip in the cap and maintain a better team to surround him.

Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
The truth is last year and this year constituted the "window" for success for the team as currently built. Trading up for a QB will destroy any chance we have at shoring up any other part of our team as we potentially lose almost our entire secondary, pray that our best defensive player returns from ACL surgery on time and at 100%, desperately search for starting OLinemen that can actually pass block, budget money we probably won't have to resign Warner, Verrett, T. Williams, K. Williams, Hyder and DJ Jones, and add some WRs and RBs to help keep quality depth at positions that have been getting decimated by injuries all year. However, if we do choose get a QB in the draft it needs to be a high pick, and honestly the only QBs I see that are a potential upgrade over Garoppolo are Lawrence and Wilson, both of whom will likely be gone. Better to keep Jimmy G and upgrade both lines and fill out the secondary. We will still be competitive and can focus on QB after we get past the dip in the cap and maintain a better team to surround him.

Problem is, they won't be able to sign anyone (as NY has pointed out) if they keep JG at his current price....he has to restructure. So it's rookie QB with talented roster or JG (given no restructure) with shell of current roster. This and JG is in bottom third of NFL QBs doesn't help.
With last year draft they where coming off super bowl and wanted to run it back. In the draft they traded up and moved around ended up with 5 pick and Trent William. They basically draft what they lost and though all was good. I like TW and all 5 pick but they have less depth and they did not think of the future at all. No CB signed for next year maybe they should have draft a CB. OL needed depth and they used a 5th, no edge rusher picked. They have great DT and another really good WR. Again I like the player they drafted, I just thing they have put a little to much into the D line and not enough into the OL and the secondary. Now they maybe need a QB if they trade up again they will not have a 2ed or (3rd was already traded) maybe trade there 4th plus maybe pick next year? How are they going to fix OL, secondary, depth at the rush end and LB. They are now chasing problems. If they trade up for QB the rookie QB is going to get crushed behind this OL. If they draft 2 or 3 OL who ever is playing QB is going to take hit behind a rookie OL. I'm not sure what the correct answer is? Trade back get extra pick keep Jimmy draft QB late first round and use extra pick to build the OL and secondary, add a pass rusher? If they can trade up for Trevor Lawrence then go for it hell ya. Other then that I'm not sure about trading up any of the QB in the draft.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:

Problem is, they won't be able to sign anyone (as NY has pointed out) if they keep JG at his current price....he has to restructure. So it's rookie QB with talented roster or JG (given no restructure) with shell of current roster. This and JG is in bottom third of NFL QBs doesn't help.

His current price isn't as big an issue compared to comparable players around the league especially when you consider $40 million per season is the new market for QB's....rather it's the $22 million being handed out to AA and Ward next year or the $31 million going to Richburg and Ford or even the $11 million going to McG and Gould. This team has signed a bunch of bad deals in the 4 years Lynch and Kyle have been running things.
Originally posted by jcs:
His current price isn't as big an issue compared to comparable players around the league especially when you consider $40 million per season is the new market for QB's....rather it's the $22 million being handed out to AA and Ward next year or the $31 million going to Richburg and Ford or even the $11 million going to McG and Gould. This team has signed a bunch of bad deals in the 4 years Lynch and Kyle have been running things.

I agree, Yes they have!!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd like to seem them go 1st round QB, 2nd round CB or Safety, 4th round DT or DE. I also don't want to see anymore hybrids, no Tarvarius Moore's or Solomon Thomas', I just wanna see the player concentrate on one position on defense.
Share 49ersWebzone