There are 123 users in the forums

2022 General Prospect Discussion and Watch List

Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Nik Bonito (OLB/EDGE)
Oklahoma, 6-3/240
Day 2 prospect
- Haason Reddick/Azeez Ojulari type of speed rusher the Niners need opposite of Bosa.

Hope we don't blow this again. Hope he can be had in the 3rd, though that's going to be a late 3rd round pick at this point. I just want to come away with a starting caliber corner and edge by the time day 2 is over.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
I was watching some highlights of Boye Mafe. Looks pretty good, bit raw. Anyone know what round he will likely go in?

He should test quite well and was wildly productive. It's a deep class, but he's one of my favorites. I'd expect 3rd round

One of the physical freaks of the draft. More of a designated pass rusher type not a 3 down option. Then again, that's what the Niners need. If anything, his stock will rise based on his offseason workouts, but he is a solid day two prospect.

Ditto. We are essentially replacing Dee Ford. We have other players that can handle 1st and 2nd down.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Nik Bonito (OLB/EDGE)
Oklahoma, 6-3/240
Day 2 prospect
- Haason Reddick/Azeez Ojulari type of speed rusher the Niners need opposite of Bosa.

Hope we don't blow this again. Hope he can be had in the 3rd, though that's going to be a late 3rd round pick at this point. I just want to come away with a starting caliber corner and edge by the time day 2 is over.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
I was watching some highlights of Boye Mafe. Looks pretty good, bit raw. Anyone know what round he will likely go in?

He should test quite well and was wildly productive. It's a deep class, but he's one of my favorites. I'd expect 3rd round

One of the physical freaks of the draft. More of a designated pass rusher type not a 3 down option. Then again, that's what the Niners need. If anything, his stock will rise based on his offseason workouts, but he is a solid day two prospect.

Ditto. We are essentially replacing Dee Ford. We have other players that can handle 1st and 2nd down.

I really think Drake Jackson can drop to round 2. Let's hope a Jimmy trade, assuming it ends up happening, puts us in range.
I wonder if Trevor Penning will work with Joe Staley this offseason
The majority of this season, we kept thinking corner was our biggest need in the draft, but is that still the case? The last few games have shown some promise with Moseley and Ambry. Slot corner will gain clarity over the free agency period with Kwaun hitting the market. Not sure how Lenoir will fill in if Kwaun walks but the team seems to be in good shape for BPA.
Originally posted by birdie2bogey:
The majority of this season, we kept thinking corner was our biggest need in the draft, but is that still the case? The last few games have shown some promise with Moseley and Ambry. Slot corner will gain clarity over the free agency period with Kwaun hitting the market. Not sure how Lenoir will fill in if Kwaun walks but the team seems to be in good shape for BPA.

Who's we? Anyone who watches football knows that a mediocre, even a below average secondary can excel given scheme and pass rush. Sure, if an excellent prospect drops to us we should take him... you can never have enough good corners in this league.
Done watching pass rushers. My favorites:

1. Jermaine Johnson II, FSU
2. Drake Jackson, USC
3. Arnold Ebiketie, Penn State
4. Boye Mafe, Minnesota
5. DeAngelo Malone, Western Kentucky

2. Drake Jackson, USC
4. Boye Mafe, Minnesota

im guessing these are all round 2-4 players?
Originally posted by ritz126:

2. Drake Jackson, USC
4. Boye Mafe, Minnesota

im guessing these are all round 2-4 players?

Johnson and, to a lesser extent, Jackson are definitely 1st round caliber prospects, but all have a chance to be there rounds 2-4, yes
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:

Who's we? Anyone who watches football knows that a mediocre, even a below average secondary can excel given scheme and pass rush. Sure, if an excellent prospect drops to us we should take him... you can never have enough good corners in this league.

Which positions are the Niners bringing in street FAs to the practice squad then making active on game day? CB and RB

How can the niners not need those positions?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Which positions are the Niners bringing in street FAs to the practice squad then making active on game day? CB and RB

How can the niners not need those positions?

Cornerback is a need because of depth, not because of talent. Most teams run AT LEAST 3 wide all game, the rest 4 and 5 wide sets. That means you're going to run through bodies as the season wears on.

As for running back, it's pretty clear that Kyle can have success with anyone... which makes the drafting of Sermon that much more confusing.

As for running back, it's pretty clear that Kyle can have success with anyone... which makes the drafting of Sermon that much more confusing.

You mean anyone except Sermon
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

2. Drake Jackson, USC
4. Boye Mafe, Minnesota

Ebiketie is someone I have targeted in Mock Drafts in the 3rd round. I think he would be a great addition to the d-line especially if/when we can't afford to bring back Key/Willis
Rachaad White (Wide Back)
ASU, 6-2/210
Day 2 - Late
- Senior Bowl invite
- The best receiving back in the draft
Dane Burgler of The Athletic has SF taking Lewis Cine SS Georgia in the late second.
Rachaad White (Wide Back)
ASU, 6-2/210
Day 2 - Late
- Senior Bowl invite
- The best receiving back in the draft

Looks like a great fit from the game highlights, hits the cutback, fast with good burst and is a good receiver, he is listed at #105 on PFN:

"From a physical standpoint, he's extremely tough to bring down. This is a result of sheer toughness but also excellent contact balance. It is rare to see White taken down on first contact. When a defender can get substantial contact on him, he displays toughness to stay upright and continue fighting. There were several examples on tape where it took multiple players to bring him to the ground. When he is stopped, White routinely falls forward on contact to ensure no wasted yardage.

White possesses all the tricks you'd expect to find from a top running back from a creativity standpoint. His tape is littered with spin moves, hurdles, and stiff arms in addition to the cuts and jukes mentioned above.

From a mental standpoint, White displays impressive vision. He uses this to find running lanes both at the line of scrimmage and further downfield. He's adept at finding and hitting a hole to snap off big runs. Furthermore, you can actively see him seeking out pass rushers when tasked with protecting the quarterback."

-Oliver Hodgkinson
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Jan 21, 2022 at 10:45 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone