LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 171 users in the forums

Stetson Bennett

• pdc20
  • Veteran
CJ Stroud played against Georgia ´s defense and whithout JSN and he´s 4 years younger than Stetson, so let´s stop the comparisons here. Stroud is a natural passer. He´s much more talented than Bennett.

That being said Bennett would be a really good idea in the later rounds, 6th or 7th. Even if the 5th if he´s there, why not? It´s just a 5th rounder at the end of the day. I really doubt someone will take him earlier. Maybe in the fourth but that´s about it. Unfortunetaly I have this idea that they won´t think about Bennett since he has the same age than Darnold. They will probably go with someone younger.
And there´s some good prospects in the latter rounds this year. DTR improved his last season a lot and he´s a great scrambler. Clayton Tune is intriguing and has some mobility. Jake Haener obviously, the local kid, would be a great idea.
You won´t find obviously a starter but just a solid back up on a rookie contract is always welcomed on a roster. The Niners should draft a QB every year seriously specially when they have so many picks like this year.
[ Edited by pdc20 on Mar 29, 2023 at 5:50 AM ]
Originally posted by pdc20:
CJ Stroud played against Georgia ´s defense and whithout JSN and he´s 4 years younger than Stetson, so let´s stop the comparisons here. Stroud is a natural passer. He´s much more talented than Bennett.

That being said Bennett would be a really good idea in the later rounds, 6th or 7th. Even if the 5th if he´s there, why not? It´s just a 5th rounder at the end of the day. I really doubt someone will take him earlier. Maybe in the fourth but that´s about it. Unfortunetaly I have this idea that they won´t think about Bennett since he has the same age than Darnold. They will probably go with someone younger.
And there´s some good prospects in the latter rounds this year. DTR improved his last season a lot and he´s a great scrambler. Clayton Tune is intriguing and has some mobility. Jake Haener obviously, the local kid, would be a great idea.
You won´t find obviously a starter but just a solid back up on a rookie contract is always welcomed on a roster. The Niners should draft a QB every year seriously specially when they have so many picks like this year.

Darnold with his experience is a much better option than Bennett.
Originally posted by krizay:
All fair points but your comment about Brock is actually why I want him. When I watched him he reminded me of Brock but with stronger arm and more speed. Throw in his big game experience. I would love nothing more than to have 2 Brocks on this team.

I think it's entirely fair to be enamored with Stetson Bennett when looking through a lens focused on this specific team. This part of the year is slow enough to warrant this level of back and forth haha so my only point was that Stetson has enough merit to stand on his own as a prospect without needing to compare him (hyperbolically imo) to CJ Stroud. I think Stetson would have a chance to be great in this system, but he has certain objective limitations, and I can't help but think if Stetson can be this good with shanahan and these weapons imagine CJ Stroud. I'm not sure Stetson gives us a good chance of upgrading the starter position. I highly doubt we go quarterback at all in the draft this year, electing to just bring in an undrafted free agent. There is no need for a cheap backup on the roster, we already have one, whether that ends up being trey lance or purdy is yet decided, and Donald is another cheap veteran option.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Darnold with his experience is a much better option than Bennett.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. Good chance Purdy is not ready week 1, and it would be foolish to only have Lance and Darnold on the active roster. We are definitely bringing another QB into camp, and more likely a late round pick or UDFA that we dont mind dropping to the practice squad once Purdy is active.

Not a good look there Stetson
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Ahh his arrest is very mild. IMO. Dude could get arrested for walking across the street and could get blown outta proportion. Nothing to see here.
All fair points but your comment about Brock is actually why I want him. When I watched him he reminded me of Brock but with stronger arm and more speed. Throw in his big game experience. I would love nothing more than to have 2 Brocks on this team.

Well, that's a strong argument. But it depends how low he slips. Day 3? Happy with that. Day 2? I think we have more pressing needs than a qb4. A nice-to-have, if the price is right.
Originally posted by English:

Well, that's a strong argument. But it depends how low he slips. Day 3? Happy with that. Day 2? I think we have more pressing needs than a qb4. A nice-to-have, if the price is right.

just say NO
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
just say NO

Agree the Saints would be a good fit

Will be on Seattle Seadragons next year
Originally posted by English:

This!
Him in McVays offense pretty much same as ours perfect fit.
Him in McVays offense pretty much same as ours perfect fit.

Hope Stafford retires and give him the keys. All for as much mediocrity on the Rams as possible.
Share 49ersWebzone