LISTEN: 49ers Prepare For Ailing Rams →

There are 160 users in the forums

🏈 2023 NFL ENTRY DRAFT 🏈

Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by scooterhd:
I mean, I like the guy (Kivitz) and all, and I do hope he becomes an All Pro.. but even our so called Best Mind in Football for a HC confirmed that we needed an OT but could not find out that he believes can beat out Kivitz..

Lets see if any rookies (after the year) will end up having a better season .. especially one after drafting a 3rd round TE..

I think Freeland and Saldiveri are the ones to watch. Those were guys that were routinely mocked to the 49ers. Obviously drafted right after, so the league also saw top 110 value. Ill excuse Dawand if they didnt think his size/speed fit the system, but I have a suspicion he will see the field and the Browns will love running Chubb behind him.

Sorry brah, I can't and will never accept the belief of an OL does not fit a system .. but that's just me.. one may not be good in his 1st year, but a RT is a RT (IMO).. I'm not sure why we couldn't gamble on a RT that we can develop over a TE position that can be found year in and year out..

Developmental RTs can be found year in and year out as well.

That a true statement, but you have to admit, this year seems like a good year to find one. Trent is 34. You just lost your starting RT who was there for the last 5 years. Your current starter is a 5th round pick thats only started 5 games. You didnt sign quality free agents at the position, just one guy on a non guaranteed low value contract. And then you dont bring in anyone in the draft for competition? I'm thankful they are bringing in Fisher as I've been on him for a while, but in theory would love to see a guy like Wanya Morris, Freeland, Braeden Daniels, Mcclendon, Carter Warren in camp. Even if I am in love with Moody and Latu and cant leave the draft without them, there was some precedent to trade a future 3rd for a 4th this year. I'm good with that. We need some depth this year. I can handle the season going to biscuits if Trent goes down for good, but scary to think how dependent we are on McKivitz not spraining an ankle. Or worse, whats the narrative if Lance or Purdy gets injured on a hit from the right side?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I mean, I like the guy (Kivitz) and all, and I do hope he becomes an All Pro.. but even our so called Best Mind in Football for a HC confirmed that we needed an OT but could not find out that he believes can beat out Kivitz..

Lets see if any rookies (after the year) will end up having a better season .. especially one after drafting a 3rd round TE..

I think Freeland and Saldiveri are the ones to watch. Those were guys that were routinely mocked to the 49ers. Obviously drafted right after, so the league also saw top 110 value. Ill excuse Dawand if they didnt think his size/speed fit the system, but I have a suspicion he will see the field and the Browns will love running Chubb behind him.

Sorry brah, I can't and will never accept the belief of an OL does not fit a system .. but that's just me.. one may not be good in his 1st year, but a RT is a RT (IMO).. I'm not sure why we couldn't gamble on a RT that we can develop over a TE position that can be found year in and year out..

Developmental RTs can be found year in and year out as well.

That a true statement, but you have to admit, this year seems like a good year to find one. Trent is 34. You just lost your starting RT who was there for the last 5 years. Your current starter is a 5th round pick thats only started 5 games. You didnt sign quality free agents at the position, just one guy on a non guaranteed low value contract. And then you dont bring in anyone in the draft for competition? I'm thankful they are bringing in Fisher as I've been on him for a while, but in theory would love to see a guy like Wanya Morris, Freeland, Braeden Daniels, Mcclendon, Carter Warren in camp. Even if I am in love with Moody and Latu and cant leave the draft without them, there was some precedent to trade a future 3rd for a 4th this year. I'm good with that. We need some depth this year. I can handle the season going to biscuits if Trent goes down for good, but scary to think how dependent we are on McKivitz not spraining an ankle. Or worse, whats the narrative if Lance or Purdy gets injured on a hit from the right side?

I imagine we target OL in the first round next year, since we will finally have a first round pick. Lol

trent will be 35, so taking a guy in the first won't cause any issues.
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
My(only) hope is that the Niners restructured CMC's contract because they plan to trade for a starting-level offensive tackle.

I think the def plan on hitting the FA market, maybe Nygaukoue/Floyd/Clark. Now that the draft is over free agent signings no longer count against the comp pick formula so I assume that's what we were waiting on

Good point
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Love this

40 reps?! And runs a sub 5 forty?! Sounds like a great prospect physically

watch the film. Plays like a WWE wrestler. I highlighted him in the late round gems thread...

Watch this guy beat our Mckivitz 😍🤘.

is he super experienced? What do you think about his technique? Could be the next Larry Allen!

95% of his opponents end up on their backs. lol
The more I'm looking into this TE Willis, he reminds me a ton of kittle. Both love blocking and tearing people up and has the ability to play multiple positions while being a receiving threat?!

i think dwelley or Worner May have a hard time making the roster this year.

Latu and Willis bring a while other element to the offense that those guys don't, plus Willis is a good run blocker already, so not a liability.

willis/kittle lined up along side Aiyuk/Deebo with CMC in the backfield….. 😱😱
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
My(only) hope is that the Niners restructured CMC's contract because they plan to trade for a starting-level offensive tackle.

I think the def plan on hitting the FA market, maybe Nygaukoue/Floyd/Clark. Now that the draft is over free agent signings no longer count against the comp pick formula so I assume that's what we were waiting on

Good point

I think I'd rather see us trade for a quality o lineman with someone or try to get sweat from WAS. If possible.

We didn't snag any o lineman this draft, I'd like to see us get a solid vet for a 6th with someone .
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 29, 2023 at 8:19 PM ]

They just didn't see those guys as that valuable and I don't blame them. You don't take any position just to take it.

Honestly Fisher is right there with the guys you mentioned athletically. Better than a couple.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

They just didn't see those guys as that valuable and I don't blame them. You don't take any position just to take it.

Honestly Fisher is right there with the guys you mentioned athletically. Better than a couple.

Fisher is probably the most athletic tackle in the draft this year. He's just super raw. If he can be developed, he could be a guy that replaces Trent eventually. He's the most athletic tackle on the tean, arguably the nfl, so this guy would be the perfect tackle to develop to replace him.
Fisher is probably the most athletic tackle in the draft this year. He's just super raw. If he can be developed, he could be a guy that replaces Trent eventually. He's the most athletic tackle on the tean, arguably the nfl, so this guy would be the perfect tackle to develop to replace him.

I dunno about future LT but if he can become a swing tackle that's a huge win.

After last year no one should be counting out players based solely on draft position.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Apr 29, 2023 at 8:25 PM ]

I dunno about future LT but if he can become a swing tackle that's a huge win.

After last year no one should be counting out players based solely on draft position.

He seems like guard would be more natural for him in the nfl. Maybe he can replace burford in a year or two and kick burford out to tackle.

i like burford a lot but this guy is something else if he can improve his mechanics/technique. He's raw but ruthless out there with extremely impressive measurable. Now I know why some where pounding the table for him.

Everyone saying we needed a kicker so do whatever you need to do to get your kicker but also don't draft tackle just because we need one... Is not making sense.

Do you truly think Latu was BPA or there was a massive run on TE with 7 selected before him on day 2? The board was dwindling, it was a position of need and they didn't want to be left without one of their targets. I'm fine with that, but it wasn't BPA. Moody wasnt BPA. It was addressing needs.

What you are right about is that the FO didn't see OT as a big need, That's clear. So they addressed another needs. And they did right by their own judgements. What I'm saying is that I think that thought was a mistake.

I've been on Fisher for a while. I put him in the late round gems thread. I called for him in the draft thread. He is very athletic. But let's not over sell him here. There's a reason he wasn't drafted. He's more of a lotto pick that you hope hits then a true developmental tackle like Wanya or Freeland that you could realistically see starting by year 2.
Everyone saying we needed a kicker so do whatever you need to do to get your kicker but also don't draft tackle just because we need one... Is not making sense.

Do you truly think Latu was BPA or there was a massive run on TE with 7 selected before him on day 2? The board was dwindling, it was a position of need and they didn't want to be left without one of their targets. I'm fine with that, but it wasn't BPA. Moody wasnt BPA. It was addressing needs.

What you are right about is that the FO didn't see OT as a big need, That's clear. So they addressed another needs. And they did right by their own judgements. What I'm saying is that I think that thought was a mistake.

I've been on Fisher for a while. I put him in the late round gems thread. I called for him in the draft thread. He is very athletic. But let's not over sell him here. There's a reason he wasn't drafted. He's more of a lotto pick that you hope hits then a true developmental tackle like Wanya or Freeland that you could realistically see starting by year 2.

Was never interested in Freeland. Don't see very much upside. Morris we will see.

This whole draft prep there wasn't one single tackle I was enamored with. Was just bleh. So getting a 5th round type prospect undrafted is fine by me. If anything I would've take a shot at Wypler in the 5th.

i think it's clear that we took a kicker earlier than we wanted to, but that doesn't mean that moody wasn't their favorite kicker and someone they coveted.

picking BPA sounds good in theory but isn't always applicable.
I think we drafted who we thought was BPA positions that we knew we wouldn't be able to get because we didn't have a fourth rounder.

so if Brown was our #1 target for safety, Moody was our #1 target for Kicker, and Latu our top 3 TE - I'm good with it. The drop off in kicker was pretty significant after moody and the guy the pats took like 12 spots later.

i think we nabbed 3 players we really coveted and MAYBE a little earlier than we want but it's either that or miss them completely.

i think it's clear that we took a kicker earlier than we wanted to, but that doesn't mean that moody wasn't their favorite kicker and someone they coveted.

picking BPA sounds good in theory but isn't always applicable.
I think we drafted who we thought was BPA positions that we knew we wouldn't be able to get because we didn't have a fourth rounder.

so if Brown was our #1 target for safety, Moody was our #1 target for Kicker, and Latu our top 3 TE - I'm good with it. The drop off in kicker was pretty significant after moody and the guy the pats took like 12 spots later.

i think we nabbed 3 players we really coveted and MAYBE a little earlier than we want but it's either that or miss them completely.

Yep. Agree with all of that.
Kinda wild that OT fisher didn't go to the combine but he is overall the most athletic OT. His bench press, speed, etc as a whole is through the roof. His bench would of been #1 of all tackles and his speed in the 40 and shuttle would of been near the top, if not #1.

Really hope that he blossoms and becomes a WWE monster out there like he was in college. Lol dude is like a wrecking ball out there at Shepard, even though the talent wasn't great.
Share 49ersWebzone