There are 138 users in the forums

🏈 2023 NFL ENTRY DRAFT 🏈

Originally posted by scooterhd:
That a true statement, but you have to admit, this year seems like a good year to find one. Trent is 34. You just lost your starting RT who was there for the last 5 years. Your current starter is a 5th round pick thats only started 5 games. You didnt sign quality free agents at the position, just one guy on a non guaranteed low value contract. And then you dont bring in anyone in the draft for competition? I'm thankful they are bringing in Fisher as I've been on him for a while, but in theory would love to see a guy like Wanya Morris, Freeland, Braeden Daniels, Mcclendon, Carter Warren in camp. Even if I am in love with Moody and Latu and cant leave the draft without them, there was some precedent to trade a future 3rd for a 4th this year. I'm good with that. We need some depth this year. I can handle the season going to biscuits if Trent goes down for good, but scary to think how dependent we are on McKivitz not spraining an ankle. Or worse, whats the narrative if Lance or Purdy gets injured on a hit from the right side?

Kyle wouldn't have started them this year anyway! The fact is we've taken guys to develop and now it's their turn to play, McKivitz is there with Skule backing him up, any drafted this year wouldn't be in the frame for 2 or 3 years anyway.

It was probably a csse of value not lining up with need, if you don't like the tackles where you are picking, don't take one just to take one.
Usually you're supposed to wait three years to properly grade a draft. But in the niners case you don't need to.

F
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Apr 30, 2023 at 3:28 AM ]
This will either be our worst draft or best draft ever. Only time will tell. Latu really needs to step up because there were still good OT options available at that pick. Other than that pick, I like the talent we added with the limited capital we had.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
That a true statement, but you have to admit, this year seems like a good year to find one. Trent is 34. You just lost your starting RT who was there for the last 5 years. Your current starter is a 5th round pick thats only started 5 games. You didnt sign quality free agents at the position, just one guy on a non guaranteed low value contract. And then you dont bring in anyone in the draft for competition? I'm thankful they are bringing in Fisher as I've been on him for a while, but in theory would love to see a guy like Wanya Morris, Freeland, Braeden Daniels, Mcclendon, Carter Warren in camp. Even if I am in love with Moody and Latu and cant leave the draft without them, there was some precedent to trade a future 3rd for a 4th this year. I'm good with that. We need some depth this year. I can handle the season going to biscuits if Trent goes down for good, but scary to think how dependent we are on McKivitz not spraining an ankle. Or worse, whats the narrative if Lance or Purdy gets injured on a hit from the right side?

Kyle wouldn't have started them this year anyway! The fact is we've taken guys to develop and now it's their turn to play, McKivitz is there with Skule backing him up, any drafted this year wouldn't be in the frame for 2 or 3 years anyway.

It was probably a csse of value not lining up with need, if you don't like the tackles where you are picking, don't take one just to take one.

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

They just didn't see those guys as that valuable and I don't blame them. You don't take any position just to take it.

Honestly Fisher is right there with the guys you mentioned athletically. Better than a couple.

Everyone saying we needed a kicker so do whatever you need to do to get your kicker but also don't draft tackle just because we need one... Is not making sense.

Do you truly think Latu was BPA or there was a massive run on TE with 7 selected before him on day 2? The board was dwindling, it was a position of need and they didn't want to be left without one of their targets. I'm fine with that, but it wasn't BPA. Moody wasnt BPA. It was addressing needs.

What you are right about is that the FO didn't see OT as a big need, That's clear. So they addressed another needs. And they did right by their own judgements. What I'm saying is that I think that thought was a mistake.

I've been on Fisher for a while. I put him in the late round gems thread. I called for him in the draft thread. He is very athletic. But let's not over sell him here. There's a reason he wasn't drafted. He's more of a lotto pick that you hope hits then a true developmental tackle like Wanya or Freeland that you could realistically see starting by year 2.

This. This is the real issue. And it's a well documented pattern over 7 off seasons. They simply don't value the OL anywhere near other positions. Kyle genuinely believes he just needs a solid OL to scheme around. And to a point, he's right...until the playoffs when the talent shines or collapses at the most crucial moments.
Originally posted by NCommand:
This. This is the real issue. And it's a well documented pattern over 7 off seasons. They simply don't value the OL anywhere near other positions. Kyle genuinely believes he just needs a solid OL to scheme around.

We fell all the way to 7th Overall in 2022,....per PFF.

If the OL isin't valued by the 49ers, then why do outsiders continue to value our OL?

#3 Overall in 2021 is just solid?

And what would taking an Olinemen in the 3rd round or later have done to change any of this?

Would 4 OLinemen by round 7 have guaranteed us a Top 2 OLine in a couple years?

And I say Top 2 because Top 3 was just "solid", per your take.

If we don't value the OLine then why have we been performing well there? Is this just a narrative that's going to continue on so long as others help feed into it? (See injuries, etc.)

There's a monumental sea of difference between something being an issue for a multi-billion dollar NFL franchise, and something being outside of what you personally prefer.
[ Edited by random49er on Apr 30, 2023 at 7:06 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:

If the OL isin't valued by the 49ers, then why do outsiders continue to value our OL?

And what would taking an Olinemen in the 3rd round or later have done to change any of this?

If we don't value the OLine then why have we been performing well there? Is this just a narrative that's going to continue on so long as others help feed into it? (See injuries, etc.)

There's a monumental sea of difference between something being an issue for a multi-billion dollar NFL franchise, and something being outside of what you personally prefer.

All that matters is that you draft them high. We need to value them like Baalke and add Josh Garnett Brandon Thomas and Marcus Martin again. He valued OL.
The only position this team values more than OL is DL and RB. WR might be on par. Certainly not TE LB CB or S.
My shadow NFL Draft for this year. We'll see how they do.

87. Darius Rush-CB
99. Nick Herbig-OLB
101. A. Adebawore-DE/DT
155. Payne Durham-TE
173. Jaelyn Duncan-OT
216. Andrew Vorhees-G
247. Caleb Murphy- OLB
253 Trey Dean- S
255. Xazavian Valladay-RB
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Yeach, the 5th round rookie OL was going to stop the QBs from getting hurt, none of which this year was the fault of the O-line.

Also never mind its a top-10 pass protecting O-line.

Narratives. Is what it is.

A 17th DL will always > X position

Well, we generally get great value out of the 17th D-lineman lol. And O-linemen development is a much slower process.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
PERFECT scheme fit with Beal. If Kocurek can work his magic, Beal can wind up being an absolute STEAL here.

Nick Bosa
Clelin Ferrell
Alex Barrett
Javon Hargrave
T.Y. McGill
Kalia Davis
Arik Armstead
Kevin Givens
Javon Kinlaw
Drake Jackson
Austin Bryant
Kerry Hyder
Robert Beal Jr.

Probably keep 10 again...11?

I counted 12 guys with Kinlaw being the 12th man lol.

My top 11 are Bosa, AA, Hargrave, Jackson, Ferrell (proven run defender), Hyder (proven in this defense), McGill (did well last year and proven interior depth is needed), Davis (probably can be safely put on the practice squad), Givens, Bryant, Beal, and Kinlaw.

This. This is the real issue. And it's a well documented pattern over 7 off seasons. They simply don't value the OL anywhere near other positions. Kyle genuinely believes he just needs a solid OL to scheme around.

Dying to see the answer here.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Usually you're supposed to wait three years to properly grade a draft. But in the niners case you don't need to.

F

What a shame you didnt take your own advice.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

definitely Key and Peele approved.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

definitely Key and Peele approved.

Awesome
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Dying to see the answer here.

"Outsiders" ratings of NFL offensive lines taken between end of the 2022 season to after the 2023 draft regarding the 49ers, the Eagles who beat the 49ers in the title game, and the team that beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

The Sporting News
2 Eagles
4 Chiefs
16 49ers

Pro Football Network
1 Eagles
2 Chiefs
11 49ers

Sharp Football Analysis
2 Eagles
4 Chiefs
9 49ers