LISTEN: Were The 49ers Exposed In Week 2? →

There are 148 users in the forums

🏈 2023 NFL ENTRY DRAFT 🏈

This has been one sad draft, with no picks until end of 3rd when we had our 3 comps. Spending our own 1st and trading away 2022 and 2023 firsts…not to mention 2nds and 3rds….to get a QB from a small division school, for a guy with only 1 yr of starts (plus 1 game in covid yr) just seems ill conceived, way OVER THOUGHT out, and a bad plan. It was an incredible reach…and not in a good sense. A wise guy could make the comment that ,"Yeah, we could have picked a Solomon Thomas or a Reuben Foster"….and they would have a valid point. It was the enormity of the trade pack, that was out of whack, however. This happened 3 drafts ago and …we are still paying for it.

I still hope that Trey comes thru for us, but man, please don't ever let us do something as ugly as this again. To rub it in, the football gods then gave Trey a broken ankle, and worse for him, allowed us to draft the remarkable Brock. The amount of draft capital for the goods we received just didn't match up then…nor now. That isn't Trey's fault…that is on our F.O. Jumping up is one thing in the draft, but in the retrospectoscope, this was truly ill advised.

Hopefully the lesson was learned, and we never will see this type of horrible trade up ever made again by JS/KL. The Herschel Walker trade was a different situation, but the 3 players given up for him made the Cowboys into a 3 time SB champ. I don't see that happening in the Trey trade, but we sure could have improved the team with some of the talent we gave up in drafts. Sure QB is THE key position on any team, but there had to be a better way than what we did with the Trey trade in capital.

that said, i still love our F.O, and esp JL and KS. But they learned an expensive lesson 2+ yrs ago, and will never make such a wild leap in the future…i fervently hope.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 2, 2023 at 9:28 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This has been one sad draft, with no picks until end of 3rd when we had our 3 comps. Spending our own 1st and trading away 2022 and 2023 firsts…not to mention 2nds and 3rds….to get a QB from a small division school, for a guy with only 1 yr of starts (plus 1 game in covid yr) just seems ill conceived, way OVER THOUGHT out, and a bad plan. It was an incredible reach…and not in a good sense. A wise guy could make the comment that ,"Yeah, we could have picked a Solomon Thomas or a Reuben Foster"….and they would have a valid point. It was the enormity of the trade pack, that was out of whack, however. This happened 3 drafts ago and …we are still paying for it.

I still hope that Trey comes thru for us, but man, please don't ever let us do something as ugly as this again. To rub it in, the football gods then gave Trey a broken ankle, and worse for him, allowed us to draft the remarkable Brock. The amount of draft capital for the goods we received just didn't match up then…nor now. That isn't Trey's fault…that is on our F.O. Jumping up is one thing in the draft, but in the retrospectoscope, this was truly ill advised.

Hopefully the lesson was learned, and we never will see this type of horrible trade up ever made again by JS/KL. The Herschel Walker trade was a different situation, but the 3 players given up for him made the Cowboys into a 3 time SB champ. I don't see that happening in the Trey trade, but we sure could have improved the team with some of the talent we gave up in drafts. Sure QB is THE key position on any team, but there had to be a better way than what we did with the Trey trade in capital.

that said, i still love our F.O, and esp JL and KS. But they learned an expensive lesson 2+ yrs ago, and will never make such a wild leap in the future…i fervently hope.

You forgot the worst part - trading up to overpay in advance for the privilege of drafting the 3rd best QB prospect and not yet having an idea of who they wanted. What kind of f**ked up process is that?
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Guys you will have to deal for a long time with that type of process because that´s how Kyle operates.
He thought it was a good idea to jump to three in order to get a proper evaluation of the QBs without having to hide the fact they wanted a QB. That was a gigantic risk but for someone like Kyle it´s just the draft at the end of the day.
I´m pretty sure they drafted Moody in the third because Kyle said he wanted to draft the best kicker.
He´s a hell of a coach, top 5 quite easily but I have learned to accept that sometimes he has a weird approach of the draft.
Originally posted by pdc20:

He´s a hell of a coach, ... sometimes he has a weird approach of the draft.
Kyle sucks at drafting.
He thinks if you like a guy that would be there in the 5th rd (Latu), you might as well take him in the 3rd rd (Latu)

Doesn't understand how to get good draft value in rounds 1-3
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Kyle sucks at drafting.
He thinks if you like a guy that would be there in the 5th rd (Latu), you might as well take him in the 3rd rd (Latu)

4 all pros in 6 years outside first suggests otherwise.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Kyle sucks at drafting.

Scot McCloughan had a second round grade on Latu fwiw
Share 49ersWebzone