LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 220 users in the forums

2024 Draft Prospect Watch List and Discussion

Originally posted by Heroism:
No spots for DBs that can't tackle in this defense, especially when offenses love to crack the wide ends and get to the perimeter. Ambry Thomas got benched in the playoffs largely because the dude didn't want to tackle.

Can't believe I actually disagree with you about something. There's a spot on every team in the league for CBs that can lock up the man in front of them in coverage. Thomas got benched because he gets abused in both coverage and because he didn't want to tackle. Which is funny because you and NY are saying something much different than what this team has actually done at the position.

Look at every single corner this regime has drafted, Wiggins is no less stellar in the tacking department than any of them in their respective drafts. Demo is a stud there, but not even close to Wiggins in coverage when he came out which is why he fell to where he did.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I guarantee you Wiggins would get on the field despite his less than ideal tackling. He isn't Witherspoon in that department.

Coverage > tackling all day for outside CBs, slot CBs is where tackling is more important.

I mean he's actually pretty bad…also that's one of the reasons one of our CBs hasn't seen the field reportedly (Womack) if you can't be a good tackler, especially in space…you're not making on the field here.

no different than a WR having to be able to block. You can burn everyone downfield or have amazing routes, you're not gonna play much if you can't block. Just how it is.
No spots for DBs that can't tackle in this defense, especially when offenses love to crack the wide ends and get to the perimeter. Ambry Thomas got benched in the playoffs largely because the dude didn't want to tackle.

Can't believe I actually disagree with you about something. There's a spot on every team in the league for CBs that can lock up the man in front of them in coverage. Thomas got benched because he gets abused in both coverage and because he didn't want to tackle. Which is funny because you and NY are saying something much different than what this team has actually done at the position.

Look at every single corner this regime has drafted, Wiggins is no less stellar in the tacking department than any of them in their respective drafts. Demo is a stud there, but not even close to Wiggins in coverage when he came out which is why he fell to where he did.

Paid Ward who's a great tackler. Lenior good willing tackler. Luter can tackler.

Tackling is a mindset. Higgins has no dog in him and guess what…when we've taken those guys at any position, they've pretty much been failures.

You're either getting benched or not getting on the field if you can't do the dirty work…that goes for any position.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

seems clear as day NE is open to moving back and MIN wants to move up. So I see MIN otc at 3. I also see Williams and Maye taken at that point, so do they select the LSU QB to pair with Jefferson?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
seems clear as day NE is open to moving back and MIN wants to move up. So I see MIN otc at 3. I also see Williams and Maye taken at that point, so do they select the LSU QB to pair with Jefferson?

Boy oh boy I think it's gonna be Daniels going #2. I think the Vikings want Maye, there's connections there.

Watching the draft with a bunch of NYG fans….i'll be smiling ear to ear if they take JJ 😊
Paid Ward who's a great tackler. Lenior good willing tackler. Luter can tackler.

Tackling is a mindset. Higgins has no dog in him and guess what…when we've taken those guys at any position, they've pretty much been failures.

You're either getting benched or not getting on the field if you can't do the dirty work…that goes for any position.

Truth. This is the aspect of football that goes unappreciated and overlooked during the regular season but magnified like crazy in the playoffs.

The team with best tackling DBs won the SB. They had a wild unit this last year. Dudes across the board that can man up and tackle.

[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 23, 2024 at 11:11 AM ]
Man that Miami pick seems like a great spot to trade up to so we can secure a better OT prospect.
I guarantee you Wiggins would get on the field despite his less than ideal tackling. He isn't Witherspoon in that department.

Coverage > tackling all day for outside CBs, slot CBs is where tackling is more important.

I mean he's actually pretty bad…also that's one of the reasons one of our CBs hasn't seen the field reportedly (Womack) if you can't be a good tackler, especially in space…you're not making on the field here.

no different than a WR having to be able to block. You can burn everyone downfield or have amazing routes, you're not gonna play much if you can't block. Just how it is.

Witherspoon made the field here, Ambry made the field here just last season. Both are worse in effort to tackle than Wiggins and FAR worse in coverage abilities.

I dare you to watch the All-22 of Deebo when he doesn't have the ball. He stands out like a sore thumb compared to Aiyuk and Jennings, doesn't stop him from playing. Poor example 😂

Truth. This is the aspect of football that goes unappreciated and overlooked during the regular season but magnified like crazy in the playoffs.

The team with best tackling DBs won the SB. They had a wild unit this last year. Dudes across the board that can man up and tackle.

I don't disagree with you guys, my point is that a CBs coverage abilities will trump his tackling ability all day for every team, even the 49ers. The GOAT CB is the reason we hear the term business decisions, you guys think Prime wouldn't start for us?

As for the bold, I know this might piss people off but the proof is in the pudding, go watch Deebo on the All-22 when he doesn't have the ball.

Witherspoon made the field here, Ambry made the field here just last season. Both are worse in effort to tackle than Wiggins and FAR worse in coverage abilities.

I dare you to watch the All-22 of Deebo when he doesn't have the ball. He stands out like a sore thumb compared to Aiyuk and Jennings, doesn't stop him from playing. Poor example 😂

This. If we had a dude who covered like Denzel Ward, Patrick Surtain or Sauce but didn't tackle very well they would be out there every snap. Ideally you have a strong tacklers but at the minimum just have a willing tackler that will at least force the play back in. Unlike the Weatherspoon and CJ Henderson who go out of their way to avoid the physical part of football. I don't mind Wiggins he makes a few business decisions but I've also seen him come up and make a pop when he has to. Im far more concerned about Wiggins tendency to be to confident in his athleticism and didn't get punished in college. In the pros where QBs like Aaron Rodgers can put a ball on a dime 40+ yards down field and Wiggins won't be a vastly superior athlete I think he's gonna get a big serving of humble pie quickly. He will learn letting a receiver get on top of him on post routes is game over in the NFL.

Receiver shoulda mail flagged this dude at :58
[ Edited by Hysterikal on Apr 23, 2024 at 12:12 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Man that Miami pick seems like a great spot to trade up to so we can secure a better OT prospect.

Sure does! They need some mid rd picks as well

Hahah Crocky and NY finna have to fight
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Nice, I watched all those guys and wouldn't be upset picking any of them. I think they'll pick DeJean if he's there much to NY's disappointment.

McConkey has grown on me a lot this week. Darius Robinson is my least favorite of the group. I don't know how they utilize Newton next season with a plethora of 3techniques already on the roster, but ultimately, they shouldn't worry too much about that with massive roster turnover looming on the horizon. They need to just focus on adding good, young players.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 23, 2024 at 8:41 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Nice, I watched all those guys and wouldn't be upset picking any of them. I think they'll pick DeJean if he's there much to NY's disappointment.

McConkey has grown on me a lot this week. Darius Robinson is my least favorite of the group. I don't know how they utilize Newton next season with a plethora of 3techniques already on the roster, but ultimately, they shouldn't worry too much about that with massive roster turnover looming on the horizon. They need to just focus on adding good, young players.

I also think Robinson would be the most underwhelming of the group. I think Newton will ultimately be the best DT from this class (Newton > Orhohoro > Murphy > Wingo > Jenkins). Barton could be a top 4 center in the league for 10 years. McConkey keeps the WR corps young, stocked and loaded. DeJean keeps opponent's OCs up at night.
Share 49ersWebzone