LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 235 users in the forums

2024 Draft Prospect Watch List and Discussion

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kingsley Suamataia, Amarius Mims, Jordon Morgan are a couple OT I want to check out as 1st rd guys

What about Fuaga, Guyton, and Barton? I dont know enough about these guys to form any opinion but I see them all as 1st rd projections. I think OT has to be the #1 priority
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Kingsley Suamataia, Amarius Mims, Jordon Morgan are a couple OT I want to check out as 1st rd guys

What about Fuaga, Guyton, and Barton? I dont know enough about these guys to form any opinion but I see them all as 1st rd projections. I think OT has to be the #1 priority

Fuaga, Mims and Guyton are the best 3 prospects at tackle of the 6 listed. I think Guyton has the best chance to make it to us. He is a defensive line convert, and so while you do see the rawness with his footwork and strike accuracy, his lower body explosiveness, upper body power and - especially - his flexibility really stand out.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:

Fuaga, Mims and Guyton are the best 3 prospects at tackle of the 6 listed. I think Guyton has the best chance to make it to us. He is a defensive line convert, and so while you do see the rawness with his footwork and strike accuracy, his lower body explosiveness, upper body power and - especially - his flexibility really stand out.

From what I read, Fuaga most likely go top 15 and Barton might be a Guard. Mims and Guyton are just big athletic freaks that has limited playing time. I'm good if one fall to us but I like Morgan and Suamataia also. Dang this class is deep.

lol at that comment

Fuaga blew up big, he might go as high as Top 10, it's a shame because he'd work really well in this offense.
Thoughts on the top QBs and where they land?

Caleb Williams - Raiders 1st
Drake Maye - Washington 1st
Jayden Daniels - Atlanta 1st
Michael Penix Jr - Steelers 2nd
Bo Nix - Patriots 3rd
JJ McCarthy - Vikings 3rd

Not sure what the Broncos do. Will they have enough money for Kirk Cousins?

My best bet is that Drake Maye will be the only superstar level QB from this class.
I think we will see 4 qbs in rd 1... Williams, Maye, Daniels, and Penix. Then in Rd 2 Nix and McCarthy will be drafted. I would be very surprised if any fell to the 3rd rd.

Youre probably right, but we'll see. Michigan will tell us a lot about Penix. That dudes arm likely makes the Purdy haters salivate with his ability to generate a ton of velocity throwing on a rope, and his deep ball accuracy was on full display vs Texas; ball placement was pretty ridiculous.

That said, he plays for a top coaching staff, behind the best OL in CFB, throwing to a WR that arguably would be WR1 in many years and another WR likely to go early day two. These aren't reasons to penalize him, but it does help to mask some deficiencies, or the very least, leave some questions unanswered. Penix does not often work over the middle of the field, and when he does, he is not very efficient or effective. His timing from the pocket has also been up and down. He looked tremendous navigating the pocket and finding his man vs texas...I'm curious to see how he performs vs a much better Michigan front who threw an enormous mixed bag of pressure packages vs Alabama, and who has a secondary who should be able to effectively crowd the sidelines and force him to work the intermediate middle of the field. If he is able to speed his internal clock up, stay clean, work threw his progressions, and throw with touch to what Michigan gives him, then he's a first rounder. If he just looks okay in that regard, I don't think too many NFL teams would be willing to over look the age, injury history and low release point throwing the ball (his release speed is very fast, tho).

Nix probably is a no brainer 2nd round pick. Not sure JJ is asked to do enough at Michigan.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by Overkill:

lol at that comment

Was about to say the same thing. Probably could have pulled it off in 94 if he was talking about Jason Sehorn, but it's a significant tell anymore. Guaranteed that guy suffers from varying degrees of loneliness.

I would rather "reach" for a lower upside OT than draft a raw prospect this point i haven't looked at too many OT outside the big ones.

But one thing to note is depending on FA we have a lot of draft picks and not a lot of spots on the roster it would surprise me if we trade up into the top 15 and get a JC Latham for example.
Originally posted by ritz126:

I would rather "reach" for a lower upside OT than draft a raw prospect this point i haven't looked at too many OT outside the big ones.

But one thing to note is depending on FA we have a lot of draft picks and not a lot of spots on the roster it would surprise me if we trade up into the top 15 and get a JC Latham for example.
Whatever OTs we scout...got to start looking for a guy that can start out at RT and then take over for Trent eventually, not just RT- only candidates. We should also draft more than one...hard to find a Trent replacement...I really wouldn't mind using 4-5 of our picks on OL this draft.
Originally posted by ritz126:

I would love to trade up for Fuaga. Young man is pretty good in pass blocking and Run blocking? Geez, dude is hurting people to the second level. CMC would love running behind this dude. If he falls out of top 15, I would love for us to trade up.
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Jan 5, 2024 at 3:50 PM ]

Thoughts on the top QBs and where they land?

Caleb Williams - Raiders 1st
Drake Maye - Washington 1st
Jayden Daniels - Atlanta 1st
Michael Penix Jr - Steelers 2nd
Bo Nix - Patriots 3rd
JJ McCarthy - Vikings 3rd

Not sure what the Broncos do. Will they have enough money for Kirk Cousins?

My best bet is that Drake Maye will be the only superstar level QB from this class.
I think we will see 4 qbs in rd 1... Williams, Maye, Daniels, and Penix. Then in Rd 2 Nix and McCarthy will be drafted. I would be very surprised if any fell to the 3rd rd.

Youre probably right, but we'll see. Michigan will tell us a lot about Penix. That dudes arm likely makes the Purdy haters salivate with his ability to generate a ton of velocity throwing on a rope, and his deep ball accuracy was on full display vs Texas; ball placement was pretty ridiculous.

That said, he plays for a top coaching staff, behind the best OL in CFB, throwing to a WR that arguably would be WR1 in many years and another WR likely to go early day two. These aren't reasons to penalize him, but it does help to mask some deficiencies, or the very least, leave some questions unanswered. Penix does not often work over the middle of the field, and when he does, he is not very efficient or effective. His timing from the pocket has also been up and down. He looked tremendous navigating the pocket and finding his man vs texas...I'm curious to see how he performs vs a much better Michigan front who threw an enormous mixed bag of pressure packages vs Alabama, and who has a secondary who should be able to effectively crowd the sidelines and force him to work the intermediate middle of the field. If he is able to speed his internal clock up, stay clean, work threw his progressions, and throw with touch to what Michigan gives him, then he's a first rounder. If he just looks okay in that regard, I don't think too many NFL teams would be willing to over look the age, injury history and low release point throwing the ball (his release speed is very fast, tho).

Nix probably is a no brainer 2nd round pick. Not sure JJ is asked to do enough at Michigan.

Caleb - Bears (Justin then goes to Atlanta) - 1st Rd
Penix - Las Vegas - 1st Rd
Maye - Washington - 1st Rd
Daniels - Seattle - late 1st (BUST in my opinion)
Nix - Denver - late 1st (Russell and a 1st rounder sent to the Giants)
JJ - Jets - late 1st (Harbaugh trade back and keep Rodgers for 2 years while sending Wilson to the Rams)
https://www.on3.com/pro/news/alabama-wide-receiver-jermaine-burton-declares-for-2024-nfl-draft/
Originally posted by Cosmo:
Was about to say the same thing. Probably could have pulled it off in 94 if he was talking about Jason Sehorn, but it's a significant tell anymore. Guaranteed that guy suffers from varying degrees of loneliness.

If there's loneliness that means his coverage is A1.
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
I would love to trade up for Fuaga. Young man is pretty good in pass blocking and Run blocking? Geez, dude is hurting people to the second level. CMC would love running behind this dude. If he falls out of top 15, I would love for us to trade up.

This
I'd assume that, as an RFA, Juaun Jennings is back, but Ja`Lynn Polk would be his ideal replacement if necessary. I still think we need to get some more speed on the field, but a lot of teams could do worse than a 1-2-3 of Aiyuk, Deebo and Polk with CMC and Kittle as additional options.
Share 49ersWebzone