LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 252 users in the forums

Jacob Cowing-WR-Arizona

Undersized receiver with tremendous quickness and stellar route running that gets open quickly and can cause defenders to look silly once he's got the ball in his hands. He was an explosive threat at UTEP and continued that for the Wildcats this year. Perfect slot target for a QB like Purdy. He's an especially lethal redzone trip due to his ability to uncover quickly, he had 4 TD's versus USC with only 88 yards receiving.

He's also a very mature guy, a team captain, was regarded as a leader on and off the field at both UTEP and Arizona and has clearly put the work in to continually improve his game all throughout college.

After hauling in 69 passes for 1,354 yards and seven touchdowns at UTEP last season, Cowing has proven he can produce in any place with any offense. He has also learned what he believes is the biggest factor for making a successful slot receiver.

"Honestly, it's coverage recognition," Cowing said. "With the slot position, you have to understand coverages. There's times where, if I'm on go-ball, and the linebacker is lined up kind of wide, I've gotten good at dipping my shoulder so he doesn't knock me off my route. And that's something you have to see and be good at in order to get past that second level — you have to be able to [know where defenders are going] to not mess up that timing."

Cowing credits all the hours he has logged in the film room for the adeptness in play-recognition. But he wasn't always so prepared: His film room habits were born out of being humbled early on at the college level.

"It really set in my first fall camp at UTEP," Cowing said. "I showed up to that first practice and I thought it was regular football like high school, but I got a reality check real quick. I was confused at my first practice; everyone is fast, everyone is smart, everyone knows what they're doing. That's when I made it a priority to learn play recognition, and I've spent countless hours watching film with coaches, quarterbacks, receivers, anyone who will watch film with me."

Cowing took his game to the next level as a junior in 2021, but not just mentally — physically, too. As a slot player, he knew the importance of play speed: separation, yards after the catch, elusiveness. So he worked on and improved an area of his game many say you can't teach.

"Number one thing in that Year 2 offseason was trying to get my speed up," Cowing said. "During the offseason, my old track coach at my high school told me if I have time to come back to the track he'll help me get fast. During that whole time I was just on the track running every day, and that's what helped me get my speed to where it is right now."

Cowing mentioned a "ladder" practice structure for his track workout where he would sprint 300 meters, then 200, then 100, then go back up — he gave a shout out to "a lot of Gatorade" getting him through those days. Those times on the track certainly paid off, as evidenced by the distance he can create between himself and the nearest defender.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-football-arizona-wildcats-wr-jacob-cowing-star-slot-receiver-in-the-making

Cowing in the right offense for his skillset could be absolutely terrifying to defend and if you put him around Deebo, McCaffrey, Aiyuk and the rest with Purdy throwing the ball and Shanahan calling the plays, he'd be just one more reason for defensive coordinators to be staying up at night.
Watched a bit of him earlier this year. I am always a proponent of adding a lightning speed element and I think that could help our offense even more.

This is one of the guys I had on my list that fits.

Good thread Phoenix. I actually watched quite a bit of Arizona games because the QBs are from Hawaii. This guy is legit. If Kyle loved Trent Taylor for the slot, no doubt in my mind this guy will be on the radar.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Arizona was really good this season. Cowing is good. I like Tetairoa McMillan. But the one that impressed me the most was Noah Fifita.
Whew, Cowing is an angle destroyer
I wonder what he runs bc if it's in the 4.4s he goes way earlier than I thought. I'd love for him to be our Ray Ray replacement, and battle JJ, Bell and Grey for the 3rd wr
Kyle would have a f**king field day with this sort of ability.

If they're going to lose Jennings, they need to find a legitimate #3 WR. Cowing with his quickness, route running ability and attention to detail would do very well in this offense and give Purdy another reliable weapon.

Nice! What round is he going to go?
How's his blocking? As we've seen by now: if they can't block, they're not getting reps. Jauan Jennings is a damn menace on the field with his blocking, so they've got big shoes(literally) to fill if they're replacing him.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 29, 2023 at 5:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
How's his blocking? As we've seen by now: if they can't block, they're not getting reps. Jauan Jennings is a damn menace on the field with his blocking, so they've got big shoes(literally) to fill if they're replacing him.

He's going to be limited by his size but the effort is absolutely there. He brings a lot of enthusiasm to everything he does on the field and comes across as very mature and introspective, the type of dude who is always looking for an edge to take his game to another level. I think he'd fit remarkably well into the offense and the locker room overall.

Dude went from dominating at UTEP to dominating at U of A and doing it while being the ultimate team guy and a favorite of coaches. He's special and I'd love to see the 49ers go and get him.

This guy knows whats up

Originally posted by frankieuc68:
Nice! What round is he going to go?

5-7
Share 49ersWebzone